“OK if just looking for a place to sleep”

Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bartonsville
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Only stayed overnight. Room was ok, bathroom was clean, wallpaper a little rundown, but shower curtain & sink looked newer. Room itself was clean, except for the bed. The comforter had some stains on the underside (couldn't tell with the print on outer side) & the matress covers on the side of bed looked dirty & stained. Sheets & pillows were clean though. Bed was comfortable, slept good, was quiet for a Saturday night. In the morning the coffee was out of order in lobby & no continental breakfast is available because they have a restaurant on site.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maryAshland_Pa

Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night last week on the way to NYC. I actually did research on the best economy hotel about 1.5 hrs from the city and this was it and we weren't disappointed. My husband was able to use a corporate discount so we paid $63+ tax and I thought that was a great price for the hotel.

The hotel was in a good location just off the highway, it was clean, the staff friendly and we didn't have any problems. We had a corner room with a king bed and small fridge. It was a nice sized room, was clean (we checked for bed bugs and saw no sign). We didn't have any problems with noise or any other issues.

If I could give any advice it would be that a few things seemed older and in need of updating for instance our shower curtain had some tears in it.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brandy621
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Not a good experience. Here's why.

SAFETY
* Odd people wander the halls. Not sure whether there are people living there - though this may be the case.

CLEANLINESS
* First room we were given smelled incredibly musty - like it had taken in lots of water. The wallpaper peeling away from the walls was another clue that this was likely the case. Thankfully, management was willing to switch.
* Dirty rooms (including linen and carpets) and corridors

COMFORT
* Beds are small (full vs. queen?)
* Very low water pressure
* Ice machine on 2nd floor wasn't working

PROFESSIONALISM
* After promising our group a late checkout time the day before departure (and taking down the room numbers of those who had made a formal request), the management reneged on the arrangement and said it would charge any one of us who stayed past noon (instead of 1:30 PM) $45 extra. Despite having a list of rooms of the families who made requests, no one from the staff called us after changing their minds; we found out on the way out for a tournament game when one of our party tried to re-confirm the arrangement the day of departure. Of the two staff behind the counter this early Sunday AM, one laughed at us and the other said that in spite of what he had promised the day before, his manager reneged. One father had to drop his child off at the field and return to the hotel in advance of the checkout time in order to avoid the charge. He missed a game he had traveled to watch.

The only positive thing I can say is that the bar is reasonably priced. In short, there are other options in the area and I'd advise seriously considering them instead.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stayed here while attending a wedding at a nearby resort. First off, we tried to book the rooms over the phone for several days, but everytime we called (in the evening after work) the phone would just ring and ring. There was supposed to be a "wedding rate" but not being able to speak to anyone, we had to wing it. The reservations were finally made online, just so that we would have a place to stay. We had a difficult time finding the place because apparently the address doesn't show up in GPS. I called there 3 times for directions, and spoke to a less-than-helpful front desk clerk all three times. The first time I was given an alternate address to put in my GPS. That didn't come up. When I called back, the woman told me that she didn't know what was wrong with my GPS because no one else seems to have a problem - complete lack of customer service skills. The third time I called back to ask what exit off of Route 80 and she snapped back "Well I don't know if I don't know what direction you're coming from." Seriously, that's how she responded. So needless to say, we were very hesitate to see what kind of place we were going to find upon arrival. When we didn't finally get there, we asked at a check in about the wedding rate and we were told that because we booked online instead of calling them, we really shouldn't receive the discount, but after we said that we weren't able to reach anyone via phone, they did give it to us.

The rooms were standard. The bed pillows were pancake thina nd when we called for extras, we had to go get them. Bath towels were like sand paper. And the walls - PAPER THIN. All night we heard people in the hallway, people turning on their showers - EVERYTHING. Needless to say, NOT a restful night's sleep for anyone in our party. Would not recommend this place. And for $142/night (and that was with the special wedding rate) that was just too much money to pay for what we got.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2010

The lobby of this hotel appears to have been updated not too long ago. Only negative in the lobby was one very dirty area rug. Check in was easy and the individual behind the desk was pleasant. I couldn't help but notice that the corridor leading to our room was very warm and the carpets looked like they could use a good vacuuming - lots of little crumbs, specks on the carpet, etc. We had a king room. The decor was a little tired looking. The television was not a flat screen (not that that was a big deal), the bed had a comfort top with a sheet just covering the top padding and the rest of the mattress as well as the box spring was bare. I found the bed comfy though. The blanket and bed spread had a small hole in them. The bathroom was clean except for the wallpaper, especially behind the toilet area. As I was laying in bed I noticed some sort of bug on the wall. I was afraid it was a bed bug but I am far from an expert on bugs. Immediately I got nervous and I did a quick check of the mattress (as best I knew how) but all appeared OK so I suppose I was wrong. Still, no matter what, bugs in my room really disturb me. I got my bill under the door and was surprised to see a charge for the safe I didn't use. Yes, it was only a $1.00 but I haven't seen a safe charge on any hotel bill in years. I wasn't told about this charge when I checked in and it just plain annoyed me to have to pay for something I didn't ask for and didn't use. Next time I am in the area I will look to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2010

When I booked the Howard Johnson Hotel for an overnight trip in August my staff seemed to be very anxious of what I had done as we are a camp for over 80 special needs children. In total there was over 120 people including staff on the trip and we used this hotel as a halfway stop from Dorney Park to our camp in Honesdale.

In the upcoming weeks to the trip the staff and management were very helpful with arranging a dinner and breakfast for entire group in their banquet room. They moved the date of our trip when we had a problem with our original date without any issues. They also made sure all our campers were nearby our staff and it was all very organised from their part.

On arrival the keycards were all organised with the names of our campers on them. The rooms were clean, the facilities were execptional and I know our campers enjoyed the 90+ tv channels and free wifi. The food that they had organised was superb with us having pizza, 'the greatest chicken fingers', pasta and salad for dinner and scrambled eggs, bagels, muffins and cereal for breakfast.

If you are trying to organise a group trip I recommend that you speak to the people of Howard Johnson Bartonsville as they will not disappoint. If you are after a cheap relaxing place to sleep then again I would either get online or phone and book.

Well done guys the chain of Howard Johnson has gone up in all my staffs eyes.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Me and my sister stayed here this passed weekend with our grandchildren 7, 11 and 12. My daughter in-law also came. I was a ittle scared to see the rooms considering the reviews we read. However there were no issues. The front desk let us check in an hour early the room and bathrooms were very cleaned and smelled fresh.
The pool was great, a lttle cold for some adults but for the most part the children and adults stayed in the pool for hours. We didn't get to try the restuarant but the stay was great.
This motel is right on the main strip so everything you need is right across from you. Restuarant department stores, etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartonsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos

Been to Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area? Share your experiences!