“Hojo Rocks!!”

Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bartonsville
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Like everyone else i was a little hesitant about booking here after reading the reviews. I can honestly say i had a good time here. It was my second trip to the Poconos and there was so many places to chose from. I was on a tight budget like i'm sure everyone is this time of year. We made our reservations online and booked a two room two queen sizes beds. The price was reasonable especially with my BF's AAA discount. Came up to $99.00 a night weekend rate. We use our GPS to find the hotel, even though we probably didn't even need it. It was very easy to find. Just off of 611. A major highway. I also want to clear up this "Truck stop" topic i keep reading about. There is NO TRUCK stop here. The hotel does have a big parking lot. The whole time we were there. 4 days and 3 night. I saw 2 trucks parked 300 feet from the hotel. That hardly counts as a truck stop. First impression of the hotel it looked satisfactory. Very clean outside, i didn't see any papers or trash around. But remember this place isn't the Hilton. So keep that in mind.

We went inside to check in. The lobby was clean and inviting and luxirous. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and prompt. Gave us our room number and showed us a faster way of getting our luggage to our room. The hotel has only 2 levels with no elevator. We got a room on the first floor. Our room was really nice. Great size, I liked pillow top mattress. It was very clean. I didn't see any stains or bugs. The room had a microwave and fridge. Which was what we needed. Both tv's worked fine. 27inch or so. Free HBO. The bed was really comfortable and there wasn't any strange odors. But it was clean and everything worked fine. The housekeeping staff did a good job as well. They gave us our daily maid service.
Replenished our towels and kept our room nice and neat. . The tropical pool was nice. Good size and clean. The fitness room was really nice and new equipment. The location of the hotel is what sold me. Its near everything! Great restaurants across the streeet. (Chills, Red Robin & Longhorns Steak House) The huge crossing shopping outlets just 5 mins to our left. Camelback ski and snowtubing was about 7 mins . Mount airy casino is 10 mins away in Mount pocono. Just so many shops and restaurants nearby. Big pocono state park is nearby Camelback. Tons of hiking trails as well as the beautiful mountain scenery. In closing we had a great time here. And i won't hesitate to stay here again. Fyi!! GPS Does not work well in Poconos!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sshariff

Reviewed August 26, 2009

Out dated and leaks everywhere. But what surprised me is when we returned from an all day activity and came back to our room the rain wasn't limited to the outside. The windows need repair. The desk is nearest the closed window, and so when it rains, anything you have on the desk is also getting watered. In my case, it happened to be my laptop and a $200 book, ruined. Due to the moisture behind the desk, the electrical outlets keep shorting their desk lamp leaving no lighting for the desk. This is where I should have taken the hint and worked on my laptop in the only other space possible, the bathroom. Which by the way also only has one outlet, but you could unplug the hair dryer and sit on the floor.

The manager arranged to have another desk lamp put in, but the outlet broke ever lamp that was plugged in. He felt that the laptop and book situation was not his fault because he didn't make it rain, and really it was my fault because I shouldn't have left them on the desk.

Now for the little courtyard, very small, and no place to sit except broken down picnic tables. And at every window there were active bee hives. I got stung and reported it, and a day later they went around spraying all of them, those that could be reached anyway.

Don't let your little children wander away from your sight, because there are families that stay use the grounds toward the back and don't welcome people taking a stroll. In fact, don't walk alone because they will approach and antimidate so those people will find another walking path. The exercise facility closes early, so if you need the exercise just cross the highway where there are some restaurants and stores, and get your exercise while you.

I also called before leaving my home to see if they accept animals, and they said no. Wrong, dogs were everywhere. I didn't mind that, it's just that I wish I had mine with me.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mstania99
Reviewed August 17, 2009

The hotel is conveniently located near many of the local attractions. The hotel itself was in pretty good condition. The lobby and restaurant looked very good and clean. The room were a bit muggy, the rug was always moist for some reason and the hallway had a moldy odor. The indoor pool was was great. It was clean, never crowded and a good size. The so called fitness room had four machines in there, one of which was out of order. The arcade was another disappointment. It had about five games, none of which were any good. And dont even think about eating in that horrible restaurant. The food is ssooooo gross. It was the worst thing we've ever tasted. I stayed at the hotel with three other people, all four of us ordered four very different meals and we all hated the food. Beware of the restaurant in this hotel, it sucks big time. It was dog food quality for a olive garden price. By the way Olive Garden is about a 10min drive east of the hotel on rt611. There's also a chillies and another great spot to eat right across the street.

Some of the places we visited was the shopping outlet thats about 10mins, the shooting range, the water park Camel beach, the roller skating ring, horse backriding, and we even manged to find a couple nite clubs. First off theres a bar located in the resaturant of the hotel thats opened untill 2am. They dont really serve nothing much but some beer and hynessy but if you happen to be up at 1 in the morning, its somewhere to hang out. Theres also a few bars opened late on main street, any staff in the hotel will tell u how to get to main street. Its a strait drive on rt611 going east.
I would recommend if you are on a tight budget, to stay at this hotel. Its not the Hilton but its a place to sleep and take a shower.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank prettypaw2002
Reviewed August 14, 2009

It's has been quite a few months since this negative and unsanitary experience has occurred, during which time I have been in touch with the Howard Johnson main office, the Pennsylvania EPA, and the Pennsylvania Dept. of Health. None of these agencies seem to have any influence on the maintainence or sanitary compliance of this hotel. We went to the Poconos to cut down our Christmas Tree. A trip we had happily anticipated for a few weeks. The hotel, from the moment we walked in and throughout the facility, had a terrible odor (something like a combination of insect spray and cigarette smoke). The rooms (we rented two adjoining) were in desperate need of major repair (liquid stains on the chair and curtains; areas of chipped and poorly patched paint; and worst of all, black mold on the outside corner of the ceiling and around and in the bathroom fixtures). When we first walked into one of the rooms we noticed almonds on the floor next to one of the beds - but none of us had almonds. I have pictures and documentation on all of these complaints and others, which I had hoped would be enough to cause one of the above agencies to make the necessary improvements. Unfortunately, I never received correspondance to that effect. But perhaps that's lucky for whomever is reading this review. Please for the protection of your health do not stay here.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank NycOdyssey
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This Hotel i cannot recommend because it was dissappointing to stay here. All the staff did was try to push the restaurant on us which was overpriced. The hotel itself is very outdated and in need of a major renovation. They are not equipped to handle elderly or handicapped guests either. Look for a better place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I usually don't write reviews but I am making an exception this time because of the inpeccable service I got at this property. I stayed at this hotel for 5 days and must say that between the great indoor pool, the spacious rooms, really comfortable mattresses, the wonderful staff, the hip bar and convinient location is bar none the best hotel in this area. I read some negative reviews that were posted while I was getting ready to write this review and I really think the reviewer must of been talking about a different hotel.
This is my hotel of choice in the Poconos !!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Alexbr
Reviewed March 27, 2009

We should have known better. Howard Johnson sucks. The outside of the hotel is fine, not very inviting, but just ok. The main lobby is dark. The one staff hotel woman (aside from housekeeping) is friendly. No business center. If you need access to a computer or need to print something, no can do in this inn. They have a game room, which really is just a tiny room with about 5 arcade games. Room-wise, the carpet looks like it's been here since the 60s. Our king size room is soo dark and depressing. The toiletries are cheap. They provide only three skinny skinny pillows. When we asked for extra ones around 9pm, they said we had to go get them ourselves in the front desk. Are they for real?? There's breakfast tomorrow, but I'm seriously afraid to see what's to be served. The rate we got is $80. The only good thing in this hotel is the wireless service. For all you readers, save your money, it is so not worth it here. You really do not want to pay $80 just to depress yourself.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartonsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos

Been to Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area? Share your experiences!