“Simply Horrible”

Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bartonsville
Reviewed June 23, 2008

The toilet was filthy. The window had mold around it. I partial stated. I had to leave because I was afraid my kids would get sick. This hotel should be out of business. The kick er was the bed had hair on it as if the sheet was not changed. The Property is run by Om Sri LLC. Simply horrible.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ConcernParent

Reviewed May 11, 2008

A disaster. Here's the bad news first. This place has a record for auto breakins, too bad I found this out AFTER my car was broken into. Drivers side window busted in and GPS stolen. Hotel staff's front desk person would not even STAND at the counter to talk to me, she yelled at me from her seat in the back room that it was "too daym bad, we arent responsible." Thats pretty good service huh? Same front desk person admits theres been quite a few breakins. No security solution though. Not a dime off my room rate either.

I had the entire family with me, and my 7 year old daughter and I were afraid to get into the heated pool because they had the AC blowing at full speed it was utterly freezing in the pool room. We stepped in, stepped right out. No dice on the pool.

The good news? I got a 3 hours of sleep, somehow, on the rock hard mattress.

Advice...? Stay anywhere else in the Poconos.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank depper
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Howard Johnsons in Bartonsville was a pleasant stay...the room was large and accomodating with all the ammenities such as refrig,microwave,coffee pot,internet,TV.The front desk attendant was VERY PLEASANT and helpful. They have a nice pool and nice lounge and is very convienent to a shopping center across the street with serveral resturants. NO NEED TO BAD RAP HO JOS!!!! We booked there for the weekend rather than pay $200 at the Casino and will do it AGAIN! CLEAN>>>CONVIENENT>>>>REASONABLE>>>>GREAT BED
What more can you ask for? A+++ from me!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Weekender329
Reviewed August 15, 2007

We stayed at the HoJo in Bartonsville for race weekend. Based on previous reviews, I wasn't expecting more than a place to stay, and that's what you get here. Based on the aged decor on the outside, it appears that this used to be a nice place, but it is somewhat run down, with broken tiles, ripped/stained carpets throughout the Inn.

In order to minimize the smokey odors that many complained about, we reserved the 'Crayola Room' (actually, there are 2, we stayed in the one near the pool). As I hoped, the room wasn't smokey, but it was terribly musty. Fortunately, I travel w/Lysol, so the problem was easily remedied.

On a positive note: It was a very convenient location, near some good dining establishments (four seasons on Milford Rd was quaint w/good food and Woody's, on 115 near the track had great service and decent food for a good price). Also, it is close to Bushkill Falls (careful, the 'red trail' is really tough) and not too far from Hickory Run Park/Boulder Field. Both are great day trips for the family. Also, as someone else noted, the HoJo does have a nice pool area.

One interesting thing that I learned was that there a A LOT of mom and pop motels in this area that do not advertise and do not link to the official Pocono website. It might be worth a check of the yellow pages for some of these more obscure locations before settling for the HoJo.

Overall, since we weren't expecting much, we weren't disappointed. The room was quiet, the beds were comfortable. Just don't stay here expecting much more than that.

Reviewed August 14, 2007

Well, instead of reading tripadvisor reviews, I trusted another source that offered relatively positive reviews of this hotel. Let me say that you definately get what you paid for. There are no elevators in this hotel. Forget about staying on the second floor if you have issues with carrying your luggage!! The rooms and outside noise were very loud and most disruptive out of our whole trip!! Forget about any security staff to address any rowdy guests!! The rooms were just adequate, basic. The fridge and microwave were handy though. The bathrooms were not very clean at all and the carpet was very worn and soiled. I was concerned if the sheets were even changed!! Thank god, we only stayed one night. I definately would not stay at this hotel again.

Reviewed August 8, 2007

This stay was my worst experience. The reason that I didn't give 1 star was because it has a nice pool & somewhat comfortable beds. Besides that, We saw couple ants in different spots of the room; a/c was very loud; microwave was very dirty; ceiling was leaking; there were also couple buckets placed in the main lobby to hold leaking waters. Definitely doesn't worth $100/night with no basic breakfast included. Total disappointment!

Reviewed September 18, 2006

WE STAYED HERE FOR A FAMILY REUNION OVER LABOR dAY WEEKEND. After arriving back to HoJos, we met in the lounge for a cocktail. While sitting there a mouse came out of the fireplace and crawled up the wall into another hole. All night long we had dreams of a mouse walking across our beds.

Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank ccwebs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartonsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Fairfield Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville/Poconos
Days Inn Tannersville
Days Inn Tannersville
#3 of 4 in Tannersville

Been to Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area? Share your experiences!