“Much better than some of the other reviews make it seem”

Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bartonsville
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I usually don't write reviews even though I check them all the time before booking. My visit here has motivated me to start, as it seemed like only those that had a bad experience posted something (which does happen I know).

I have to say that I did not have the same extreme issues that others seemed to have. While this is not a 5 start hotel in Vegas, I have given it a 5 star rating based on the type of hotel that it is.

You can tell that the hotel, while older, is being given attention to update itself. I noticed an updated lobby, beddings, etc. I heard from another guest that they are slowly trying to go smoke free, as they referbish the old smoke rooms they become smoke free. I think the rooms in the very back of the hotel are still smoking rooms. Hopefully this changes soon. I couldn't smell the smoke or mold that others have claimed. My room was in the middle of the "U" section. We did have an issue with the toilet always sound like it was flushing, but they were able to have someone fix it right away.

The hotel seemed super busy when I was there, lots of kids in the pool, so I didn't go in. But they seemed to be having fun. There is a restaurant/bar had good food. There are plenty of chain food restaurants across the street, like longhorns and Chillies. There is plenty more options a short drive away, but I would suggest trying to eat at the restaurant at least once. It had more of a homemade feel to it. I had the scallops and ahi tuna. The bar also had the UFC fights on that weekend, so if you are a sports fan, it was an easy way to watch it.

The room had a microwave and fridge, which apparently every room had. Was convenient to keep leftovers. We visited the outlet malls, and hit up the water park.

Overall, this hotel gave everything we needed to stay. It seemed safe, the beds were comfortable, and while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of being in Vegas, it was good value for what you would expect from a hotel in the poconos.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I work for a summer camp that caters specifically to children with special needs. ADD/ADHD Aspergers, Autistic Spectrum Disorder etc. and for a number of years now we have brought our older campers on an overnight trip which is such a special occasion for them.
This Howard Johnson has provided us with unbelievable service for such a group. We were provided an excellent dinner and breakfast meal which catered to our children's particular dietary needs and anything we requested was given to us- especially in the long build up as we planned throughout the summer.
I would highly recommend this location as group accommodation for the sheer quality of service and the convenient location. We took our kids to the mall just a few miles down the road to shop and see a movie- they had a great time. Thank you to Donna and the team!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a bit dated Howard Johnsons in a good location. Very close to Camelback and other Poconos points of interest. Public areas of the hotel are pretty old and tired looking. The rooms are actually pretty decent. Beds were comfortable and bathroom was clean. Issues are as follows:
1. no shampoo, only conditioner and hand cream
2. Indoor pool was ice cold.
3. gameroom looks like it is from 1975.
4. outside of building is a little run down.

Hotel is located right across the street from a Chilis, Red Robin, and Longhorn Steakhouse.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MaxnBaci
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Don't waste your time or money. The smell of mold in the hallways is so bad that we had to hold our breath from the back door to the room. Once inside the room the smell was not as strong, but still annoying. We went to put the t.v. on and there was no batteries in the remote. We wanted some ice for the sodas, BIG MISTAKE! my husband said the ice machine sounded like it was on its last leg and he came back with only a few peices, I went to open the ice bucket, YUCK! Mold on the cover. I called the front desk and they were not shock or ashamed. they told me me they were short staffed and I needed to go to the front desk for the batteries and the ice bucket. Ok, we'll get them when we come back from dinner. We didn't use the onsight resturant and the 10% off coupon that we were given at check. We went to Longhorn Steak house across the street. That was the only positive moment we had at this hotel. When we came back from dinner, Oh Lord that smell again, it grows stronger every time we go into the hallway. we thought a nice cool dip in the pool would be nice. WRONG. There was a big wad of black hair, it looked like someone lost their weave. We ran back to the room and call the front desk again. the said, they were booked solid and couldn't change any rooms. That night we slept in our jeans, I would like to say we woke up early but really we didnt even get to sleep. We left in the morning we got our money back and cancelled the reservation we had in another state after this stay.

Room Tip: stay anywhere else, the back seat of your car is more comfortable and clean.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara H
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel is clean and the staff were very nice--especially the manager Fazel Bhimani! He ensured that my family was well taken care of during our stay and we really appreciated it especially since it was our first time in the Poconos. We had breakfast during our stay and it was delicious not to mention the prices on the menu were VERY AFFORDABLE. I would reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Our house was being painted and we stayed here for 5 days. The lobby was beautiful and the desk people were very helpful. We did not eat at the restaurant. The room was very clean, but the hotel needs a little work done in the rooms. It would really freshen things up. It was very hot that week and the air conditioner worked great.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Second time there in July 28th. Loved my stay, the manager was so attentive to Customers needs and catered to every need. Breakfast was delicious and fairly cheap. Room was comfortable, clean, had a mini fridge, microwave and free wifi. Stayed with some friends and had plenty of space. Indoor Pool was clean, they even made water warmer the first time we stayed in May because we were cold. Overall had a great time, definitely will return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartonsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Howard Johnson Bartonsville/Poconos Area? Share your experiences!