“After the nightmare !”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bartonsville
Newark, New Jersey
“After the nightmare !”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We " RAN AWAY" from Shawnee resort in East Stroudsburg , We intended to stay at the other aforementioned place. We got a " Smoking Room" on the ground floor. Although they only had two separate beds, We took the room and quickly moved in and FROM THE BEAUTIFUL LOBBY, And the very neatly dressed folks at the front desk, We had breakfast at the " Serengetti restaurant" we came in 10 minutes before they closed but we were NOT turned away we were quickly sat down and just as fast served breakfast By What I think was the friendliest Server IN Pennsylvania. My wife and I got up and traveled the Antique shops in Pocono, All the different shops. We made a trip to a local restaurant called " La Familia Chuchifrito" for Puerto Rican styled food. We got stuffed for under 25 dollars! Across the street from the hotel is a " Texas Longhorn" chain styled Restaurant and it was full, a long line to get in BUT well worth the wait. Service,Food and the Worlds best " watermelon Margaritas" 2 t~ Boned steaks, Loaded mashed " tators", Salad. The super friendly Local folks bought my wife and I a few drinks and we reciprocated and we drank and had a " Blast " The best part of it was we DIDN'T HAVE TO DRIVE! We walked across the street to the lobby and back to our rooms! We walked back to our Freshly vac'd room, fresh towels, Dusted tables and all the ash trays Nice and clean! No this place Is Far from a 4 Star hotel, But it is not a Pay by the hour" style place. We stayed 3 great nights and down the road 1/4 mile is a " Giant " supermarket where you can pick up muchies, candy by the pound, At super reasonable prices. On our Next trip to P.A WE WILL MAKE IT A POINT TO STAY HERE! except in a Non- Smoking room.

• Stayed November 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Buffalo
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This hotel was booked by a family member for the convenience of its location. First of all, when the reservation was made, it was pre-paid. I have never heard of that happening when making hotel reservations - beware!!! Secondly, it is a very dated, dark hotel with old furniture and dirty rugs in the lobby. The hallways smell musty and have a distinct odor of cigarette smoke. The room itself was clean enough, but it was supposed to be a non-smoking room and when I pulled back the bedspread, it had a hold burned right through it. My husband went to sit on the desk chair and almost cut his hand on the nail sticking up right through the chair. The bathroom ceiling also had quite a bit of mold on it. We will not be returning.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Jersey Shore
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I just returned from a girls getaway weekendnto the Poconos and stayed at this location. Our plans were to visit the rodeo at Shawnee and Mt. Airy Casino. This seemed like a good central location, plus the website advertised $15 casino vouchers for each guest. I even called to reserve thenroom and had this offer confirmed by the woman who made my reservation.

First, the room had a horrific smellmof mold. The entrance at door D smelled even wore. The room was not clean, with stains on the bed and chair and a cigarette butt on the floor. The bathroom seemed to be the cleanest area of this room. The window had curtains that did not offer complete privacy.

When we returned to our room at 12:30 am we were shocked at the amount of people hanging out in the front of the lobby entrance. The parking lot was packed and we had no choice to go around back. We hadn't seen this at either check in or check out so I'm thinking that this is a big hangout for locals, at the bar inside. We didn't feel tom safe with this and our door locks seemed kind of flimsy so we slept with the desk chair under the doorknob.

When we checked in the front desk clerk (and possible manager) never mentioned the casino vouchers. When I asked he said they don't do that anymore. When I explained that it's on the website he only said "I know." after I pressed further and explained that in was also given a verbal confirmation of this by an employee he said that the casino no longer gives them out. I decided to see what the casino had to say about this and spoke with a promotions manager. He said they do sometimes give vouchers to local hotels, but they have never had an affiliation with this one.

Overall, the rooms were not clea, safety and security felt low and management seems to run a shoddy business. I'm highly offended by this practice of luring in customers with promises of perks and not following through. I would never stay here again and I would never recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Butler, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I normally stay at the Comfort Inn down the street until I discovered the friendly hospitality of the staff and reasonable prices at the Howard Johnson. It has everything you could possibly need in a business trip. Swimming, great little bar/restaurant, tons of space for meetings, and they even have a comedy show on certain nights. I know where I wil be staying from now on. Great amenties fridge and microwave in my room! Also my I am smoker and had a smoking room! Would come back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank albert a
Germantown, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I guess the price was probably higher because of it being on a Saturday Night in the middle of summer, but still overpriced in my opinion, being over $130.00 dollars after taxes. There was an indoor pool which was nice but closes at 10 pm. I thought it should have stayed open to atleast 11 pm. There was a restaurant attached but even with the 10% discount they gave you for being a guest, it still would have cost us 20 plus dollars to eat there, esp with young children. Location is great ! It is near stores and other eating establishments, ie: Longhorn's Steak House, Chilli's and I think, a Ruby Tuesdays. Off the interstate & easy to find. Room is average HOJO decor, generic and pleasant boring. Shower with good water pressure but not as good in the am when everyone is also showering at the same time. I think if I come back to this area I would look for something alittle less expensive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Some of the pictures led us to believe this was a nice hotel. However, this hotel was actually very dumpy and dirty inside. The rooms and hallways were musty and smokey smelling. The rooms had stains on the carpet and also on the ceilings. In our room part of the ceiling was peeling off. The resturant was dark and dingy and the food was fair for breakfast. Our family of five all ordered orange juice for breakfast and after the first drink we all realized it was bad. The orange juice had a bad smell and tasted as bad as it smelled. We saw one other guest take a drink of his orange juice and leave the rest on the table. It seems as if the owner at the hotel is trying to get all the money he or she can without doing repairs. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. They also seem to charge way to much for the accomidations. I forgot to mention the pillows were flat and the beds were worn out and seemed to colapse in the center.

Room Tip: Rooms smelled like smoke and were not enjoyable to stay at.