“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bartonsville
Ottawa
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

Having seen some mixed reviews of this Hotel decided that we would keep our reservations and find out for ourselves. Our planned stay was for three nights. When we arrived about 30 minutes early we were told the room wasn't quite ready. We waited 30 minutes and found our room ready. The room was quite clean and free from any odours at all. We went to the pool and found a very clean and clear pool. The whirlpool was also very clear. The excersise room has new equipment and quite clean. After unpacking we walked down the hall and found many rooms had the doors open as many folks had checked out. We looked into one of the room that has an on-suite whirlpool and would not advise that anyone rent this type of room. The odour from the whirlpool was horrid. As a long time Facility Manager, I know the odour comes from the fact that the whirlpool has not been properly degreased and sterilized for quite some time. That is because the Housekeeping staff have not been properly trained to do so.
The following morning we found that the continental breakfast was just great. They have a couple of waffle irons so you can make fresh waffles. There is hot and cold cereal, fresh fruit, baggles, english muffins, donuts and muffins with choice of juices and coffee.
After using both the pool and whirlpool later in the day we found the pool to be still crystal clear and a perfect temperature. The whirlpool was just hot enough and a real pleasure. The staff was found to be very helpful and friendly.
Overall I would have to say that this is a real good bang for the buck and would not hesitate to go back again. We had no problem getting extra towels when asked and the pool has a good supply on hand at all times. We were very satisfied despite a few of the less than stellar previous reviews. Management must have cleaned up their act for the positive.

• Liked — Clean, fridge and microwave in room. WIFI Hotspot worked perfectly and quite fast
  • Disliked — Grounds keeper used weed eater and shot grass and weeds all over my car.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't rent rooms with on-suite whirlpool. Very smelly.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Technobody
Jill S, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Under new ownership please check current reviews.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Hudson Valley, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2006

Stayed there for two nights in July after a friend booked it because of it's central location for three of us getting together to kayak the Delaware.

The good news: the Delaware is awesome, natural, pure, relaxing and the Kitteney kayak rental (3 1/2 hr. self-guided trip, $47 a person) was sublime. Got out to swim on a hot day -- I completely recommend it.

The Comfort Inn room reeked of cigarette smoke, despite being a "non-smoking" room booked. My friend's room across the hall smelled less of cigarettes because it reeked more of mold. We couldn't wait to get out of the rooms for some fresh air. The problem: an enormous number of people in the restaurants, bars, diners, etc. SMOKES. We are from N.Y., N.J. and Philly and all agreed we had never seen so many smokers in our lives. They absolutely completely ruined the air in almost every restaurant we went to. I'm sorry to report that PA obviously hasn't enacted any "smoke-free" laws. If you like inhaling your neighbors cigarette-butt-air, travel to the Poconos and take in any popular restaurant.

The only bright star in the dim universe of choke-while-you-eat establishments was Dale's Cafe, on 611 in Bartonsville, It is "100% smoke-free," has delicious, reasonably priced breakfasts, big mugs of great coffee, friendly service, art on the walls, and AIR YOU CAN BREATHE!

The Comfort Inn's hot tub, next to the pool, was half-way working and was half-way enjoyable.

All in all, it felt like a cut-rate, low-quality, falling-to-seed Super 8 that was priced at twice what it was worth. Better than sleeping in the woods? I'm not certain.

There is no way I'd stay there again. In fact, I'd have to second-guess the entire Comfort Inn chain if this is what passes for acceptable.

• Liked — Proximity to the Delaware River
  • Disliked — Mold, cigarette smoke in nonsmoking rooms
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
      Location
      Check in / front desk
Under new ownership please check current reviews.

Travelers are raving about these Bartonsville hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

My boss John Bruening took us to the New York City Optical show. We decided to stay in the Poconos so we would not have far to go back to Ohio the next day. The first night was OK. When we got up the next morning we wanted to have coffee and maybe a danish and hit the road. THat wasn't possible, we where told that no one had the key to the fridge and everything was all locked up. Around a half an hour later one of the girls' found the key. THat was OK, But a girl that had on a tank top was going to get coffee and stuck the coffee containers under her arms. NO coffee for me thank you! We left for New York and had a very long day and night. We expected to come back to a clean room. Not only did our keys not work!Our dirty towels where still on the bed and our beds hadn't been changed or even made from the night before! The room was filthy, and would I stay there again? NO THANK YOU!!!! I have stayed at some bad places before, but this takes the cake!!
Paul M. Barkley

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Middlefield, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2006

This hotel was so bad that I really thought I was on "Candid Camera".

We looked past the fact that the hotel is located next to a number of "Adult Pleasure" businesses reasoning that the hotel was probably there before they were.

What we were very unhappy with was a total lack of regard for customer service, that included: late breakfast w/ cold coffee, "non-smoking" rooms that reeked of smoke, dirt and ashes in the heater vents, and when we returned back to our room for the second night to no maid service, we were told that we had to stay 3 nights before our room would be cleaned!!

The mgr. blamed Choice hotels on a new coffee pot they must now use! I don't know who they blame for untrained staff.
We were offered $5 for the breakfast mishaps(we went to McDonalds), and 20% off for the dirty rooms, but I spent over $350.00 on 2 rooms and was very dissatisfied.

8 Thank GVIS2020
Naperville, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2006

I've had good luck at other Comfort Inns, but this was the first time in a long time I've checked out of a hotel early and moved to a different place. Much of this has to be understood in light of this being one of the busiest weekends since it was New Years. But that's a factor not an excuse. In fact, the timing made the price quite high for this level of hotel, so that's salt in the wound.

The problems boil down to two root issues: Poor staffing & management, and poor construction.

The "Suites" are actually 3 normal rooms, with the center room split in half with a flimsy wall. The layout had the "Master" bedroom & Bathroom as the entry room, and the half room was just a sofa bed. Opposite of what other hotels would have, and opposite of what a couple travelling with children need. The worst part was the wall between the front & back "half rooms" must have been made of paper. Zero sound isolation, Zero smoke isolation. The group next door was not too noisy, but their into-the-wee-hours conversation and partying was too loud for my kids to sleep. And they were smokers (we're not) and the smoke in our half room was miserable. At 3:00 am We had to move the kids into the main room and try to seal off the half room to be able to breathe and sleep. Two calls to the front desk made no difference. When I checked out in the morning and complained about this to the day shift front desk, the response was a lame "Oh, yeah. We hear that a lot. I guess it's just the way the hotel was built."

Then there's the mis-management. We arrived in the evening to find only two young women working the whole hotel from the front desk. No maintenance, no housekeeping. The hotel was out of towels. The lobby mens room was unusable due to the mess made by New Years revelers, but there was nothing the young women could do about any of it. They even ran out of room keys and had to borrow a box of mag cards from the hotel down the road. To their credit, they let me raid an unused room for some towels. But it was criminal that there was no support or management on hand to help them. And the laundry chute (which was right outside our room) was clogged and overflowing with dirty laundry all over the hall (along with food garbage). What responsible manager lets the staff leave after obviously servicing the rooms, but not addressing the dirty remains?

I might have passed-off the problem with the "suites" by avoiding them in the future, but the way this hotel is managed I won't return. There are plenty of better options in the Poconos.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank Mike F
Stroudsburg PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2005

I live around the corner & decided to put my relatives up in the Comfort Inn for Thanksgiving.
I had read the other reviews here & was wondering if I was making the right choice. At the rate of 53.00
a room per night it was hard to beat even if the hotel was not perfect! Well I have to say for 53.00 the Comfort Inn is a steal!!! The checkin clerk was nice & pleasant & the rooms were clean & comfortable. My sister in law even used the indoor pool & said it was great! I dont know if this location has really
changed since the Aug 05 reviews but feel confident in staying at the Comfort Inn Bartonsville if you want a great value

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2005

I read all the reviews after it was too late to cancel our reservation, and was sick to my stomach about what we were getting into! It was with great relief that check-in was a breeze, we were treated with respect, our room was pleasant and clean and we all had full bellies after showing up (a little late even!) to the continental breakfast in the morning. I don't know what's up with the rest of those folks... but we had a great weekend! (Did't swim... but the pool looked inviting!) I'd stay there again!

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Under new ownership please check current reviews.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bartonsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,466 reviews

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos? Share your experiences!