“been here twice... never again”

Riverton Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: American, Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: The Riverton Hotel and Restaurant is a Family friendly restaurant that includes a full bar, 3 banquet rooms, and a 6 room hotel. We local source our ingredients when available and make almost everything on premises from scratch. We have 3 banquet rooms with seating up to 300 people. The Hotel consists of 6 newly remodeled rooms. The Markopoulos family has owned the business for the last 39 years.
Portland, Pennsylvania
“been here twice... never again”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The first time we stopped we met another couple and their teenage son for breakfast. Despite the dated and very gloomy interior the food was pretty good, a typical PA diner breakfast. The food came out pretty fast and the portions were good. Since we enjoyed the breakfast, my husband and I decided to stop again and try their lunch on another day. I ordered beef pot roast with mashed potatoes and corn. When I placed my ordered, I asked the waiter—who I think is also the owner—what sides I had to choose from. He listed what seemed like 10 different side items, which he rambled so quickly and with an accent that I couldn't understand or remember everything he mentioned. When I asked him to repeat the list because I couldn't understand what he was saying he got a little snippy with me. I should have just got up and walked out at that point, but remembering the breakfast, I wanted to give the place the benefit of the doubt. So, after ordering pot roast I was expecting a nice hunk of meat with gravy... what I got was three 1/8-inch thick slices of some sort of gray shoe leather material I'm hoping was beef. It was terrible; tasted like it had been freezer burned and then cooled and reheated several times. I ate it only because I was really hungry and didn't want to wait and possibly get something even worse after I sent the food back. The sides were pretty good, but we will never go back there for any meal. I don't remember what my husband ordered, but I know he was unhappy with his meal as well. This was a very bad experience.

• Visited September 2012

Bangor, Pennsylvania
“Need a change!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Great place to go and have some good cooking and not have the hassle like when ou go to the chain restaurants. Prices are good and the food is cook to the way you like it. I make this my regular stop!

Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An unexpected delight”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were looking for something different..and we decided to go looking for a hotel/restaurant that we remembered from 30 years ago...we are so glad that we did. John (the same owner) greeted us and assured us that though it was quiet...they were open. We ordered Broiled North Atlantic Salmon with Whiskey sauce and Chicken Avgolemono over pasta which was divine...prices were very reasonable...and we will be sure to go back. They specialize in weddings and other smaller events so be sure to check them out if you are anywhere near.

Visited August 2012