“Affordable, family fun” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Seattle, WA
“Affordable, family fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed here with our two young boys and had a great time.
The hotel is right on a gorgeous, sandy beach that you're likely to have all to yourself. The kitchenette is nicely appointed and was a great money saver for us. We got fresh fish from the local fishmonger and had a feast on a budget.
The furnishings were somewhat dated, but cozy, and the room was immaculately clean despite being a pet-friendly unit. The owners couldn't be friendlier and our boys loved all the little extras, like roasting marshmallows in the fire pit and playing horseshoes. As others have noted, the walls are a bit thin, and it's probably not a place I'd choose for romance or luxury. For us, though, it worked out great.
We'd stay here again in a heartbeat, and I'd recommend it to any family or adventurous couple looking for a budget friendly stay on the coast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Kingman, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

My husband and I traveled Hwy 101 from Oregon down to California and we stopped for one night at the Silver Surf Motel. It was wonderful, quiet, on the beach, and the Inn Keepers Janice and Michael made our stay perfect. We ended up staying 3 nights, and enjoyed walking on the beach and watching the sun set each evening. The motel is on the beach, all the rooms have a balcony and face the ocean. The motel is so private, we saw very few people on the beach. Wonderful, Wonderful to take such great memories of the Silver Surf Motel back to our home in Kingman, Arizona.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pamnjerry
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

I stayed at the Silver Surf with family when I was about twelve. My mom and sister have been coming back for a few years.

The first night we stayed in one of the units on the second floor. We arrived later in the evening and the view was great. The kids played on the beach and there is a spot to rinse the sand off.

The room has two queens, a kitchenette and bath with tub packed into a small space but there was still some room for a play pen. There is a small balcony and table too. The beds were soft but comfortable. There is spotty wifi and the TV gets a good selection of stations. Although the place was packed and we had people beside and below us (one with kids) we never heard a sound (I hope our neighbors had the same experience.

The second day we moved to a two bedroom cabin. The beach view cabin was open so we got in first thing in the am before making breakfast and hitting the beach and pool (indoor and nicely heated).

The cabin is nice, the carpets are clean ( I was told our room was shampooed that day). There is a fireplace and full kitchen.

The beach view cabin is a little more worn than the end unit I looked in. The micro suede chair arms were very worn and darkened, but it has a nice fireplace and a good supply of wood and kindling. The cabins have shower only.

If you plan on site seeing and running up and down the coast the rooms are fine. If you want to enjoy the nearby beach and the air the cabins are a winner.

The original section of the hotel was built in 1948 and the units have been around for a while too. But the place is well maintained and the cleaning staff is diligent.

The room was clean, the building is dated but well maintained.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

The Best feature is the view. The Managers Mike & Janis are very helpful, friendly and accomodating. The housekeeping staff work hard to please the guests. The Motel is in dire need of a total renovation. It is sad to see that it has not been remodeled or updated for many years. The rooms appear clean but smell old, look old. The beds are very uncomfortable-but had clean sheets. The furniture is not stable-ie: chairs worn out & wobbly. The walls are very thin and floors very squeaky. We would like to see this Gem revived to it's original state. Then it would be our destination on the coast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

Peace and quiet, Spotless room, Internet was a little iffy, but, they are working on improving it. The hot tub needed some whirleys that worked better and was noisy. Janice and Mike, the managers, are extremely helpful in all regards, from helping with the luggage to recommending restaurants. Mike even invented a walking stick. one for practical, one for fun.
The view is non-stop from the balcony. If I have to say anything negative it would be about the plastic chairs on the balcony. I would stay here again - anytime

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

It was our first trip with our 8th month old puppy. Management and staff were very friendly as were other dog owners. This Motel is perfect for dog lovers, the beach is easy to get to from the Motel with beautiful sunsets. The small town of Yachats is just minutes away if you've forgottten something and the kitchenetts in each unit make it a very comfortable place to visit.......almost like being at home !

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mollieanna
Truckee, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

I wanted to stay here as I had skied with the owner at Mt. Bachelor and he suggested it and offered a discount, but he neglected to inform me that no one answers the phone after 8pm. As we had just finished eating dinner up in Newport at 8pm, we left a msg on their office phone and NO ONE CALLED US BACK so we stayed up in Newport. I work for a hotel and when we get calls, we call people back...even if it is to say; ..."sorry we missed your call, we hope to host you at another time." As we passed by the motel the next day, on our way down the rest of the OR coast, I stopped in at the teeny-tiny front desk (and saw the sign on the front door that said the office closed at 8pm) and the 90-yr-old woman who worked there was on the phone. After about 5 min., she put the call on hold and asked me what I wanted. I told her that I was the one that called last night, but I saw the sign and now knew (for the next time we pass by) we had to call before 8pm. She did not even smile or say "sorry, I didn't call you back this morning", she just sort of looked at me, like...and so what the heck did I want? I found it all very strange....the place looks very cute, but old...like the woman at the front desk.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoddessofArt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Deane's Oceanfront Lodge
#3 of 11 in Yachats
The Dublin House Motel
The Dublin House Motel
#9 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!