“Terrible”

Silver Surf Motel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Quality Poor to fair Facilities Poor to fair Service Poor to fair
I have stayed at the Silver Surf about 4 times with no problems.I recently stayed and this time got a cabin. The cabin was in poor condition to say the least, the bricks from the fire place were falling off, the door trim was falling off and had nails sticking out, the room smelled like someone burnt some kind of foreign incense, and smelled bad. The bathroom walls had stains like someone urinated all over them from shoulder height to the floor. I tried to get one of the rooms instead of the cabin but they were all taken.The next morning I had to rush off before I could let the owners know that there cleaning personnel needed to do a better job on the rooms. I got a phone call about 40 minutes after leaving the hotel from the owner and he yelled at me saying... you smoked in the room, you're not welcome here anymore and as soon as I went to assure him I didn't smoke in the room he interrupted me called me a liar and said he is going to charge me a 150.00 cleaning fee then hung up on me. I ended up going back to the hotel immediately and the owner was raising his voice at me interrupted me called me a liar then told me he didn't hang up on me. I would not recommend this hotel because the husband owner is a jerk and he shouldn't treat people the way he treated me unless he had his facts straight.I will Never stay at this hotel again. Oh to the owners~I don't care what your excuses are, go ahead and reply to this. You have a problem with one of your guest you should call them and discuss what your issue is or problem is and not just yell, interrupt, accuse, and try to belittle your customers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Aaron B
SilverSurfInnkeepers, General Manager at Silver Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Unfortunately sometimes when a guest does not follow our guidelines, in this case our
NO SMOKING policy they become angry and vindictive and try to turn the situation around as if we were the ones in the wrong. Changing the subject from the smoking issue to the cleanliness of the cabin.

We have never had a review stating that our rooms were not clean. The cleanliness of our rooms is the one area of consistency in all our reviews and guest comments. We have a reputation for cleanliness clearly represented by our Trip Advisor Reviews

We encourage all guests to call if they find anything wrong with their room at check-in so it can be corrected. The reviewer NEVER said anything about the cleanliness of the cabin. When they called to ask about switching to a room there was nothing said about the cabin at all. When I told them we were sold out and could not move them, they said nothing. The time to voice a complaint or dissatisfaction is during your stay when we can resolve.

They were called about discovering the smoking after they checked out and left the property, They did not stop by and mention any problem before leaving. Only as a defense to the smoking did they come back with the complaints. Coming back to motel with an aggressive and angry attitude did not help them make their accusations seem truthful.

When a guest smokes in the room we charge a fee of $150.00 which is becoming standard in all lodging on the coast. They were reminded of the fine during the phone conversation, it took a turn when they denied smoking and lashed out with claims of uncleanliness.

Our past experience is when guests take responsibility for their actions the situation can be resolved without harsh words. Sometimes they pay the fee and return realizing they were in the wrong. That was not the case in this situation.

Hopefully travelers reading this review will scroll down and read the other reviews that are consistently positive and represent the satisfaction of our guests stays.

Janice Abrams
Innkeeper/General Manager
Silver Surf

There are newer reviews for Silver Surf Motel

Reviewed March 27, 2013

My family has been coming to the Silver Surf for years. All the rooms, except for the cabins, face the beautiful, sandy beach, which is about 300 feet away. The view is so comforting and relaxing. The beach is great for walking. The facility is dog friendly as well as people friendly. They have nicely supplied kitchenettes. It has an indoor pool and jacuzzi, washers and dryers. The beds are fine. The facility is certainly not new, and not really modern, but rustic atmosphere works well in the coastal environment. If you want a relaxing stay at the beach without a huge price tag, call the Silver Surf Motel. Its a great value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tryna M
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This typical beach motel was a wonderful choice. The staff was very nice and gave us a great recommendation for a dinner restaurant. The room was very clean and had a wonderful view of the surf. Nothing fancy here, just a great value and relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

You can tell this place is in the process of getting a face lift. But everything is clean and nice. We had a kitchen and a upstairs room. It actually froze the night we were there which is uncommon on the coast and the electric fireplace kept us warm while the wind was howling outside. The view from the room is good.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed in the ocean-view cabin. We had an enjoyable time and the wood fireplace was a definite plus, but if the interior was updated some, and if the cleaning staff had vacuumed the floor and wiped the tables we would have liked the place more. Location was nice, staff was friendly, access to the beach was excellent, views were beautiful. Note to owners: spend a little on upgrading the rooms, put a fan in the bathroom so you won't have the mildew issues, with a little work, this could be a very nice place!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
SilverSurfInnkeepers, General Manager at Silver Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

I am glad you had an enjoyable time. I apologize for any dust in the room, we pride ourselves on our cleanliness. You probably noticed the roof on all the connecting cabins was being replaced during your stay. In fact the cabin you stayed in was just finished before your arrival. Thie cabins are always checked before guests arrive, during construction dust appears as soon as it is cleaned from the movement of workers walking across and the hammering.

You actually experienced the reason upgrades and remodeling is so difficult. There is no good time of year to do construction, someone is always staying and has to deal with the effects such as dust, noise, or the closing of the pool.

The roof is the first step for the cabin refurbishing. The pool building also just had a new roof installed. Exterior painting has started, the office and portico entrance are finished, the pool building is in the process and the cabin exteriors are next. Once that is complete we plan to do the interiors after the Summer Season.

Most of the time people are disappointed due to unfulfilled expectations, in this case your suggestions are already in progress which may have hindered a few small items but in the long run will make this property even better.

We hope you will return when the work is completed and have the experience you imagined.
In the meantime enjoy your travels and best wishes.

Janice Abrams
General manager

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have made several trips to The Oregon Coast and have made The Silver Surf our destination. We love the view, the beach, sound of the waves and most of all, the comfy, homey atmosphere. We stop at the grocery store, load up on goodies, check in and watch the beautiful sunsets from our balcony. The innkeepers, Janice and Michael always greet us like long, lost friends. Our stay with The Silver Surf has never failed us. Our motto for visiting The Oregon Coast and finding the perfect place, "We want to see, feel, hear, taste the Ocean mist. We want to be in the Tsunami Zone." The beach is no more than 40 feet from the rooms and provides a flat, soothing walk. The character of the motel provides that feeling of living on the beach. We will definitely stay here again and again.

Room Tip: If you can stay in the second story, the sunsets will take your breath away. The waves hold true to...
1  Thank KimBebeauWatkins
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a great little place with friendly management and an air of nostalgia that harkens back to a bygone era of smaller roadside motels. Clean rooms with handy kitchenettes and startlingly beautiful ocean views. We spent two nights here on a trip up the Oregon coast.Our French Bulldog loved the grassy slope leading to the beach and our kids appreciated the swimming pool. We relaxed in the hot tub and everyone loved the beautiful beach directly accessed from the motel. We had full sun and no rain the day we spent on the beach here, and it was just warm enough that the kids could even play in the waves ~which doesn't happen all that frequently on the Oregon Coast!

Room Tip: All the rooms have balconies and they all face the ocean with a completely unobstructed view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank misty_bee_Wyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Adobe Resort
Best Western Agate Beach Inn
Fireside Motel
Fireside Motel
#4 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!