“Hoping They Improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Alder Bistro & Lounge - CLOSED

Alder Bistro & Lounge
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Alder bistro & the dispensary lounge specializes in house made Pacific Northwest cuisine with a Southern flair, featuring, local, wild-caught & organic ingredients. With our own in-house patissiere, the rich, seasonal desserts are always something to look forward to. In the lounge, we feature Oregon wines, beers & spirits. Our focus is on bringing the freshest, finest quality foods to your table at the best possible prices.
Eugene, Or
“Hoping They Improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

I really wanted to love this place - I am in Yachats periodically and eat out often when I'm there. The menu is very nice - a mixture of Southern and Northwest cuisines with several vegetarian entrees. The staff is friendly and helpful. The ambiance is fine and location is great in downtown Yachats. I ordered a cup of french onion soup for an app and a stuffed pork chop for my entree. The french onion soup was fairly small - and was presented in a fairly large bowl for the serving size which is unusual for this classic soup. The gruyere on top is normally broiled to crisp it and brown it - this was not done - so the cheese was just melted on top of bread and the onions with broth. The broth was tasty. Overall - OK - but not great. My stuffed pork chop entree sounded better than it was. The stuffing looked like chopped apples and ricotta - it was cold and stuffed inside the warm split chop. The cold stuffing with the warm meat didn't work so well - and looked unappetizing. They also way overdid it with the amount of stuffing. About 1/3 of the amount would be better - regardless of the type of stuffing. The chop was topped with caramelized onions and other sautéed ingredients - but it tasted like they might have added sugar - the total effect was very sweet. I pulled out the stuffing and removed the topping and enjoyed the pork meat by itself which was very nice. There were no veggies, potatoes or rice with this - just a little bit of friend kale or something which I didn't eat. Would be nice for $22 to have a little more variety on the plate. My appetizer and main course arrived at the table at the same time - so some kind of miscommunication between the kitchen and wait staff. Overall it looks like they have a few kinks to work out. I hope they do - we need more options in Yachats and this is a great location.

• Visited May 2014
Vicky P, Manager at Alder Bistro & Lounge, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments. I wanted to let you know that we are transitioning back to a more traditional service for the French onion soup and eliminating the cup size in favor of a one-sized bowl for many of the reasons you cited and I appreciate your candor. The pork chop, also, has been revisited and Chef Schulze has altered the presentation as well as the proportions, resolving in great part the difficulties of the dish as it was originally styled. I'm pleased that the service and venue were able to balance things, in at least a small way, and hope that when you are back in Yachats, you will give us another chance to impress on all counts. When you do, please ask for either myself or Lisa, as one or the other of us are usually onsite and we'd like to thank you for taking time to formulate and express your thoughtful and sincere commentary.

Yachats, Oregon
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Yay! Yet another wonderful restaurant to add to the ones already in Yachats. Because the offerings are completely different to what other local restaurants are offering it creates a larger choice of dining options. The menu is large with mostly seafood but enough variety to make my meat eating husband happy. They are anxious to please so the service is great and except for a glitch in our cocktail, our experience at the Alder was awesome. We intend to go back and check out their breakfasts!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ann97498
Thank you, thank you! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and that our staff made you feel welcome. They have been working hard to learn the art of exceptional service and I'm glad to hear their efforts are showing! Our breakfast menu is nearly as diverse as the dinner menu, so I'm sure you'll find something that calls your name. The biscuits are made in house daily with organic eggs & real butter, as is the hollandaise. The Oregon Coast benedict is very good, with freshly poached organic eggs, homemade hollandaise and a combination of bay shrimp & Dungeness crab. We look forward to seeing you and will make every effort to live up to the high bar we set for ourselves on your last visit.
“Nice Addition to the Central Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Have been to the Alder Bistro twice, once for breakfast and then dinner. This place is definitely a must when dining in Yachats. Wonderful food, great menu with many creative choices and an attentive staff make this restaurant a winner. Try the mac and cheese, you won't be disappointed. Loved the wine list too!

Visited May 2014
I am so pleased to know you were with us during your stay in Yachats. It really is an exceptional wine list, I have to admit. I'm glad they were to your liking, as well. We appreciate the time you took to pen a description of your experience and hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you!
Yachats, Oregon
“Impeccable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Alder Bistro and Dispensary Lounge just opened and we went for dinner last night. I have to say it was one of the best meals we ever had and the service was absolutely excellent. They had a great menu and they started us off with their homemade bread with blue cheese butter. I had their Alder Salad which was incredible with large slices of mozzarella cheese and a balsamic vinegar reduction dressing. For the entree I had their wild mushroom pasta and my wife had their sweet potato Gnocchi. The portions were generous and the food was fabulous. Their desserts were terrific and we definitely left there very happy and full.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank KenGagne
Thank you so much for your glowing words, Ken. It is always a treat to have you come in and join us for dinner. I'm very glad that we lived up to your expectations and trust that we will continue to do so. I look forward to seeing you ton your next visit!