“Under staffed and poorly trained”
Review of The Drift Inn

The Drift Inn
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Yachats
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are a unique, fun and cozy place to dine for any meal! With umbrella's on the ceiling, local art on the walls and music every night, you will be hard pressed to find anything like us. Come visit and try many of our locally derived and delicious culinary concoctions.
Eugene, Oregon
“Under staffed and poorly trained”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I have this given restaurant our business several times over the years. I want to like this place: it has a decent menu, nice atmosphere, and a great location, but our experiences show that it is understaffed and the wait staff is poorly trained. Here are three examples:

There was time that our waitress served us our dinner and then went off shift without telling anyone to cover our table. I wanted another beer. No waitress. Then, the heck with the beer, how about some desert? No waitress. By then we just wanted to get out of the place, but of course, since we had no waitress, we had no check. I had to go the bar and have someone tally one up.

Then there was the time that the place was so crowded that we elected to sit at the bar for dinner. The bartender was talking to a couple seated next to us for about 10 minutes without even looking at us. When I finally go his attention so we could get a menu, he reacted with impatience and hostility that lasted all evening.

Last weekend, when we went there for lunch, my wife's clam chowder was cold. We asked the waitress to warm it up. She came over to the table, grabbed the bowel, and as she swept it across the table. chowder sloshed out of it, across the table, over my lunch, and onto the floor. I cleaned up the table and she came back in a few minutes to wipe the floor. When she returned the reheated soup to the table, she hadn't replaced the spilled soup, nor did she wipe the sloshed chowder off the rim of the bowel. It looked like someone barfed on it.

I'll add a comment on last weekend's food. The chowder, while initially cold, was tasty. I had the three taco lunch, while tasty, was way to soggy. I gulped down the first taco before the shell disintegrated. The second taco fell to pieces as I ate it. I didn't even try to pick up the third. By that time it dissolved into a bean soup on my plate.

We'll be trying out other restaurants in the area before we return to this one.

• Visited October 2013

Dousman, WI
“Really enjoyed our visit to the Drift Inn”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Loved the quirky decor, the history and the delicious breakfast. They also have items for sale by local artists. The staff were great. We would definitely eat here again.

Visited September 2013
Yacolt, Washington
“Yachats' 'place where everybody knows your name'”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Places to eat in Yachats are relatively limited, and this is a good choice for (usually) good food and decent prices for a pretty complete menu. I forget what we had the last time my wife and I were there (we've eaten there on three different visits to Yachats) but we liked it. Serevice is a "give it your best shot" proposition when the place is jumping (weekends and high season) but they are friendly and knowledgeable. When the live music is on, conversation is frequently a non-starter, depending on the musicians. That said, you could easily do worse.

• Visited April 2013
Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food, Okay Service”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Drift Inn is our favorite restaurant on the coast -- funky, relaxed, and delicious! We've been a dozen or more times over the years and the quality of food has never wavered. It's always great! We love the seafood chowder. The ginger vinaigrette salad dressing is the best! The service has always just been "okay," definitely never outstanding. On our most recent visit, I found the bread accompanying my chowder had a few large spots of green mold (yes, really!). The waiter seemed completely unmoved and did not offer any sort of discount or compensation, which was disappointing (not to mention gross). We will return, cautiously, because it truly is the best food we've had on the coast.

• Visited October 2013
Saint Helena Island, South Carolina
“fab history”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

read the menu re history .... whatta place for young boyz early on ... menu varied, fresh and delicious ... waitstaff knowledgeable re area ... a must go

Visited September 2013