“Needs updating; horrible service”
Review of Fireside Motel

Fireside Motel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Stayed here with friends last week. We originally tried to book at the Overleaf Lodge (Fireside's sister hotel next door) but since I have a dog (a 6# pomeranian with deformed back legs so he doesn't even walk!), we were forced to stay at the Fireside which is their "pet-friendly" annex.
This place is clean enough although it desperately needs updating. The decor seems sort of 80's era. Our shower head was so loose it was about to fall off the wall. I hand-tightened it as best I could which seemed to fix it temporarily. The first night we stayed, the alarm clock went off at midnight, blasting music and waking all of us in a fright. Very annoying!
The ocean is very close and the view is nice but the deck has very little privacy. If you are of average height and sit in the deck seats, your view is completely blocked by the railing so you have to stand up if you want to see the view of the ocean. Really pathetic design flaw.
Yes, pets are allowed (for a $10 per night fee) but they are not allowed on any of the furniture and you are not allowed to leave the pet in the room alone, so it's really not very "pet-friendly". My 6 pound pomeranian doesn't even walk and normally sleeps with me at night (he's more like a cat than a dog) so this "pet friendly" hotel gets a D- from me. Anytime we went anywhere, I had to leave him in my car. It seems to me that if you're going to allow pets, then ALLOW them! In any case, the decor is outdated and worn and in no way warrants this level of fussing over the furniture.
We made spa appointments for all three of us at the Overleaf Spa next door, amounting to over $100 each. Since our appointments were scheduled first thing in the morning, we went directly to Overleaf when we woke up. WOW! I was shocked when I entered the Overleaf. The difference between Overleaf and Fireside is PROFOUND. Beautiful lobby, very modern with a nice "lodge" feel. I was surprised to see a lovely complimentary breakfast laid out for the guests. The Fireside feels more like a low-quality roadside motel. It seriously PALES in comparison.
Yes, the Fireside IS less expensive, but the Overleaf is SO MUCH NICER! We would have happily paid to stay at the Overleaf which is where we originally tried to book a reservation, but since I have a "dog", we were not allowed at the Overleaf.
So when we arrived for our spa appointments, my friend asked the girl at the front desk if we could have a muffin or something from the breakfast spread so that we weren't going into our massages on an empty stomach. I mean, we were about to spend over $300 in addition to the three night stay at the Fireside...you'd think they could spare a muffin.
Their response? NO! We were not allowed to have a muffin! "The complimentary breakfast is for the OVERLEAF guests," she told us, "NOT the Fireside guests." My friend then asked if we could BUY a muffin because our appointments were so early, we hadn't had time for breakfast and we didn't want to get an hour long massage on empty stomachs. "NOPE."
So we saw the manager a few feet away, listening in on our conversation but not getting involved. She called him over and asked him if we could buy a muffin before our spa appointments. His response? "Well, we don't usually do that because the complimentary breakfast is for the Overleaf guests, but we'll make an exception today.." I cannot convey how offensive this was! We're talking about a muffin here, folks! And not some fancy muffin either; we're talking about an ENGLISH MUFFIN (what do you suppose that is their cost? TEN CENTS?) Here we were spending $700 at their establishment and we had to argue with them over a muffin -- and we were even offering to BUY it!
Well, I was so offended I was hard-pressed to indulge in their english muffins, but my friend toasted one for herself and ate it on the way up to the spa.
After we left here, we travelled up the coast and spent the night in a brand new one bedroom condo - with beautiful marble counters, a full stainless steel kitchen, a deck and a dining table - right on Cannon beach for $109 per night.
We will not return to the Fireside.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dogs_World_Traveller
Packer-Drew, Owner at Fireside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2010

I approach a critical review as an opportunity for improvement. And this review has given us an opportunity to improve serving our future guests. I thank the guest for giving us the opportunity to improve and apologize for the treatment that they received at the front desk. I represent the Fireside Motel and the Overleaf Lodge so my comments are cogent to both properties.
Initially I feel the need to give some background regarding our strict no-pet policy at the Overleaf Lodge. Regardless of the size of the pet, its physical condition or how cute and cuddly it is, all pets have pet dander that can be left behind (regardless of how thoroughly we clean) in a room and can wreck havoc for the next guest who rents the room and is relying on the fact that no dog has previously been in that room. Many of our guests come to the Overleaf Lodge because they have extreme pet allergies and are fully confident that the room they are staying in will not ‘attack’ their sensitivities. Upon the rare occasion that we have a registered service dog in an Overleaf room, we thoroughly clean the room and shampoo the carpets so that the next guest can have the same confidence as described above.
Regarding our pet policies at the Fireside Motel: First, pets are allowed on the furniture which is evidenced by the generous ‘pet pack’ that we provide each guest with pet that stays with us. In the ‘pet pack’ are towels and sheets that we ask the guest to put on the bed or chairs for the dog to lounge upon. Secondly, we do ask guests to not leave their pet unattended in the room. We love the pets who stay with us, but as dog owners know, some dogs are just not content being left alone in an unfamiliar environment and they bark or howl when their owner leaves. This is not acceptable to the guests in the neighboring rooms and we can do little to remedy the situation if the owner has left the property. A vast majority of our guests who travel with pets understand our policies and appreciate them as many guests have memories of bad experiences with pets in other hotels.
As this guest pointed out, yes there is a big difference between the Fireside Motel and the Overleaf Lodge. You can have nice, clean and comfortable ocean front room at the Fireside Motel or you can have deluxe oceanfront accommodations with a great breakfast and in many cases pay double the Fireside rate at the Overleaf Lodge. It is really that simple.
Finally, this guest has given us an opportunity through their critical review. Starting today, non-Overleaf Lodge guests who reserve a one-hour or longer massage or facial at the Overleaf Lodge are entitled to have breakfast at the Overleaf Lodge too. Our management and staff should have been more amenable to this guest so I adamantly apologize.
Drew Roslund, Owner
Fireside Motel
541-330-1286

There are newer reviews for Fireside Motel

Reviewed November 20, 2009

This motel is professionally operated by the people at the pricey Overleaf Lodge, next door.

Our standard room had all the amenities and a balcony on the ocean, which, during our stay, was raging and stormy.

My only misgiving is that the bed seemed a little too hard but perhaps it was just that I was sleeping in a strange bed on the first night of a two-week road trip. In any event, when I book next time I'm going to ask if they have any rooms in which beds have pillow tops.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Location is great, nice oceanfront walking path to sandy beach. Wasn't too impressed with the room. I thought I smelled 'dog' when I walked in but assumed that pet rooms were designated like smoking rooms are. Then I noticed scratches on the lower door like a dog was trying to scratch it's way out of the room..so it did smell like 'dog'!
Balcony has no privacy, as many have stated. If you sit on the patio chair, your ocean view is completely blocked by the thick wooden balcony railings, so you must stand to enjoy the view. Next time I will stay at the Adobe, they have a restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timran
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This modest-seeming two-story motel is directly on the beach at Yachats. Our room was clean and modern, carefully serviced each day. Several stunning state parks are within a seven-mile radius. A good restaurant is within easy walking distance to the south, along a well-maintained trail above the beach. Sunset viewing is definitely in order from the seating areas adjacent to the motel.
All in all, a jewel of a place in a hidden gem of a town.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oldmangamer
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We had visited Yachats before and stayed at the Overleaf Lodge (next door, co-owned property). We knew we wouldn't have a lot of time at the hotel and would be arriving late, so we decided to economize a bit and stay at the Fireside this time. We stayed one night, Sept. 8. Our rate was $136. I was a little worried because the Fireside is pet friendly. (I was afraid it might be loud with dogs barking or dirty or smelly.) I couldn't have been more wrong. Our room (number 30) was at the head of the stairs on the second floor. It was huge. I was struck by how good it smelled when we walked in! It was a large room with king size bed, knotty pine ceiling, desk, table with two chairs, fold-out sofa, built in TV and gas fireplace. Also had fridge and microwave. Bathroom had tub-shower combo, sink and toilet. Dressing area also had a separate sink (great for two people getting ready in the AM). Our room had a small balcony (yes there is not much privacy on the balcony) but the view makes it worth it. Ice is readily available in the exterior hallways. Check-in/out was seamless and everyone we encountered was so friendly and helpful. Complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby area. A great walking trail along the tidepools. We slept so well.....this hotel is so quiet. There is a small screened window that remains open all night and what a treat it was to listen to the ocean. Wish we could have stayed longer! We will be back! Highly recommend this hotel if you are in Yachats!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank virginian9
Reviewed September 10, 2009

The balconys have no privacy, you can be laying on your bed and from the next door balcony they are just feet away and able to look in, and come in if they felt like jumping a over a small railing. The view was awesome but the windows didnt open so you couldnt really hear the waves at night and didnt feel it was safe to leave balcony door open.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The room was spacious, clean and fairly well maintained. Behind the motel was a beautiful walkway with fantastic views and access to the rocky shore and tide pools (containing sea stars, anemones, etc.). The rocky shore provides great exploration opportunities for little kids (with close adult supervision--watch your step!). Yachats in general is really charming.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Resis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
Adobe Resort
#2 of 13 in Florence
Silver Surf Motel
Silver Surf Motel
#3 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Fireside Motel? Share your experiences!