“Walked Out”

Ranked #10 of 17 Restaurants in Yachats
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Blue Cape Cod style building with 3 dormers.
Reviewed September 7, 2008

On 8-31-08, we stopped at this place and signed in for a table and waited standing in a very HOT area by the front door for 15-20 minutes with no acknowledgement that we were there. Finally someone motioned over the counter and pointed to a booth near the back door - still no hello, etc. We (4 of us) sat down and continued to wait for someone to greet us or at least say they would be with us soon and when nothing happened for another 10-15 minutes we got up and left and certainly will never return. We would not have waited so long in the first place except we had been looking for a restaurant as we returned to Newport from Cape Perpetua and had a child with us that was both thirsty and hungry and didn't want to leave. Don't bother with this one - just drive on past.

1  Thank smokeyclyde

Reviewed July 28, 2008

Rude waitresses who hate tourists but love their money will ruin your dining experience. Omlettes were paper thin, apparently poured from a pre-mixed batter and amounted to about one egg each. Don't expect any "Good mornings" or smiles when you walk in. You'll get an abrupt "how many?" and the classic "how many coffees?" instead of "Would anyone like coffee?" when the waitress does come around your table. If the DMV served breakfast, this is what it would be like.

6  Thank NapaPaul
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We wanted something quick and simple we could take back to the hotel after playing in the ocean with our dog. I had the blue cheese burger and my husband had the Leroy burger which had a piece of ham steak on it. The burgers and fries were good but it is something that is fairly hard for a restaurant to mess up. The staff members were very nice.

1  Thank msdj
Reviewed April 16, 2008

Chowder, yes it's wonderful as long as you don't have some that has sat around too long, which ours definately did (around 4:30 pm)-which is a first for that restaurant as it's ALWAYS been the best in our opnion! The fish, it's been changed from a flaky white fish to some nasty dark tasting "yuck" is all I can desribe it as and it just sat there while I munched some fries. We took a piece of pie to go and won't return unless they make a change to their once wonderful fish and chips that we always tell everyone to have while they travel to the coast.

3  Thank grracious
Reviewed December 28, 2007

My husband and I were driving south on 101 from Newport and the Blue Whale was practically the first place to eat we saw on the trip. By the time we found it, we were starving so we stopped for breakfast.

My husband ordered buckwheat pancakes, eggs and sausage (the 1,2,3) and I ordered eggs, hashbrowns and toast. The breakfast came and it was huge! I couldn't even finish mine. Everything was quite good and I was pleased with the meal. We paid $16.60 for the meal (with tip) and the price was about average.

2  Thank CraftsmanJunkie