“Brookside Inn & Suites a hit!”

Brookside Inn & Suites White City
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White City
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We headed to Medford, Oregon for a softball tournament and booked a stay at Brookside Inn in White City because most of the nicer hotels were already booked in Medford. I was really impressed with this hotel's staff from the moment our team booked the rooms- they were friendly, helpful, worked a good room rate for the team at $84/nt, and continued this hospitality during our 6 night stay! The ladies at the front counter were very friendly and baked cookies every night, which the girls on our team loved! They let us cancel our stay a day early when we were knocked out of the tournament (darn!).

The rooms were very clean, fresh looking, and had modern and newer furnishings that included a wall mounted flat screen and speedy free wi-fi. On the downside I found the beds a little too soft (we had the two queen room) and I woke up every morning a little sore-- but in the hotel's defense, others on our team found the beds incredibly comfortable. It's a personal taste thing.

The hotel has an indoor pool that the kids loved, a modest but decent free breakfast that included scrambled eggs, sausage, and biscuits/gravy, and a fitness room that we never used. It's conveniently located on Hwy 62 and an easy drive to I-5. There are several places to eat nearby, and the kids loved having a McDonalds and Dairy Queen in walking distance (there's even a movie theater right there if it interests you).

All in all we were very pleased with our stay! The hotel probably got a bit rowdy for some of the other guests thanks to ours and a couple of other softball teams staying the week (it wasn't just us!), but the staff was quick to put us in line when the kids got too noisy (quiet time is 10 pm). I'm not sure if they get a lot of sport teams staying there regularly, and if this is a concern you should probably call ahead to find out. I highly recommend the Brookside Inn & Suites for traveling families looking for a clean, newer hotel that is in a safe and convenient location in the Medford area!

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the bottom floor elevator (we were on the top floor but it was plain to see) as it...

Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you're passing through Medford/White City, the Brookside is WELL worth going the extra few miles off I-5. We arrived exhausted and were greeted by a very warm, thoughtful clerk. Headed to our very spacious, well-appointed room. Took a swim in clean, perfectly warm/cool pool and a soak in the clean perfectly hot whirlpool. Went back to the room and quickly banged out some work with the high speed wifi. And then crawled into the most heavenly beds. Slept like a rock. The next morning, after a full breakfast, I got my bill for under $89 and felt like I got an amazing deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here one night as a stopover on a long road trip. My husband is pretty picky about hotels, and raised his eyebrows a bit when I told him I had decided to save some money by booking a hotel a few miles off of I-5. I chose the hotel based on online reviews. I am very familiar with Ashland/Medford but not the area east and figured it couldn’t be terrible.

Pros:
The room was very clean. The bathroom appeared to have been recently updated (except the toilet seat, which had some permanent scuffing). Towels were thick. The TV was small but of good quality (compared to larger but fuzzy screens I have seen elsewhere) with a good channel selection. Pillows, sheets, and carpets were in good condition. Duvets/quilts looked older/worn. Furniture is in good condition but is older-looking. Mattresses have a very thick (3 inches or so) foam layer. I didn’t care either way about this, but it’s unusual so I thought I’d mention it.

Common indoor areas of the hotel were quiet and well-kept, the other guests were friendly, and one of the front desk attendants gave us a glass of milk (needed to help calm an upset toddler) late at night to save us a drive to a grocery store.

Cons:
The hotel is in a very industrial area, and the online reviews don’t say that. The sides of the hotel literally face a vacant weedy lot, a property filled with old buses and campers, and a bingo parlor. Major power lines (you can hear them buzzing) run right over the hotel. Food within walking distance is one diner and fast food. This is not a hotel to stay in if you like to take morning walks, enjoy the scenery, sample the local food, etc. It is away from the noisy freeway, but that means there are no comforts of being near the freeway. (On the other hand if you want to spend some time at the shooting range, shop around for lumber deals, or hit the local Army/Navy store, you have come to the right place.)

At check-in (when I was already trying to get my husband to overlook the atmosphere) there were two guests at the front counter when we arrived and a group milling about the seating area nearby (no one clearly in a check-in line). When the guest in front of us left, I approached the counter, and (without a hello) the clerk said, “Um, I have like 5 rooms ahead of you to check in” implying that I was cutting in a line. If it had not been past the cancellation time, that initial rude experience combined with the first impression effect of the hotel’s run-down location would have caused me to walk back out and find another place to stay in Medford. And the stay was actually fairly pleasant after that, so that would have been a shame.

Neutral:
Breakfast. I’ve done a lot of hotel complimentary breakfasts. This one is average. Eggs are not freshly scrambled (powdered?), but neither are most other hotels’. This one does have waffle batter and waffle irons out, so if you want to wait for the waffles to cook, you know those are fresh. Choices of some of the other items are more limited than some other places.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, make sure your room isn't above the smoking area, courtyard area.
1  Thank MGB2013
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This small family run hotel in White City, Oregon is clean, efficient, professional and an excellent value for your money. I was amazed at the cost of the room when compared to the competitors. For the price of the room you get Wi-Fi, use of the pool, hot tub, work out room and an AMAZING FREE BREAKFAST!!! The beds are VERY comfortable and all the rooms have large TV's. THEY EVEN ALLOW PETS in some rooms.They also have wine tasting and an option to purchase specialty wines from the local wineries. I was very impressed by the customer service and friendly staff. The breakfast is not your ordinary "complimentary breakfast" offered at other hotels. They have hot scrambled eggs, sausage, sausage gravy, biscuits and waffles. Not to mention fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, whole grain bread and cereals. We will be back soon!!

1  Thank DJ M
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our one night stay at the Brookside was so nice we decided to stay 2 nights on our way back from the Oregon coast. Super pet friendly, clean & great breakfast. Also cold bottles of wine at the front desk for a reasonable price!! We spent our second stay exploring the Rogue river in Shady Cove - just up the road from the Brookside. Overall a very pleasant, relaxing stay. Nice spa & fitness room, too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue C
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful hotel, very clean, staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. Quiet, rooms are good size, beds are comfy. Breakfast looked good, we didnt stop for it. Only a few minutes to Medford.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Maybe it was that I had higher expectations since this hotel had been recommended to us. The hotel is nice looking, fairly new...so we were looking forward to a nice overnight stay. The lady who checked us in was very friendly. Although the room was clean, the bed wasn't that comfortable--too soft. The breakfast that was included was terrible!! Powdered eggs, hard bagels (I actually could not cut thru it and had to throw it away), weak coffee, and the sausage was old and looked like it had been warmed up repeatedly. Absolutely nothing was edible. One plus is that there is a computer room with free WiFi...that was nice!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NoniBaroni
Nora D, General Manager at Brookside Inn & Suites White City, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am very sorry that some of our amenities did not meet your expectations. However, regarding the soft bed, we have Back Supporter Champion mattresses with a 3 inch pillow-top. Some individuals may require a firmer mattress whereas others state they had the best sleep ever. Our scrambled eggs offered in our breakfast room are pasteurized and homogenized which consist of whole eggs, skim milk etc. Regarding the link sausage, this is a precooked item. We reheat to proper temperature according to the Oregon State Health Department standards. All hot foods not used during the morning breakfast hours are properly disposed of.
Thank you for your business as I am in hopes that you will give us another try the next time you are in our area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near White City
Hampton Inn Medford
Hampton Inn Medford
#3 of 35 in Medford
Best Western Windsor Inn

Been to Brookside Inn & Suites White City? Share your experiences!