“Fabulous Find”

Ranked #1 of 2 Wheeler B&B and Inns
Heidelberg, Germany
“Fabulous Find”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Wheeler on the Bay Lodge is a fabulous find along the coast. It is hidden away in the tiny town of Wheeler along HWY 101. There isn't much in Wheeler, but that is what makes it such a relaxing place to stay.

I stopped here with a friend during a weeklong whirlwind tour of the Northwest. When we pulled in I was a little aprehensive - it doesn't look like much from the outside, especially if you are used to staying in the big chain hotels. However, I was in for a great suprise. Our room, the service, and our stay were fabulous. The check-in process was a breeze. The owner had all of our paperwork ready, offered us breakfast items for the next morning, offered free movies to watch, popcorn, soda and candy. When she overheard us talking about wildlife watching, she loaned us excellent binoculars and a birding guide to the area.

Our room (the blue heron) had a queen bed, a twin bed, and a futon (plenty of room). All the beds were comfortable; however, the queen is a memory foam mattress which takes a few minutes to get used to. There was a gas fireplace, a small dining table, microwave, fridge, and coffeepot. The bathroom was small, but adequate. This room only has a stand-up shower (no tub). High-end toiletries, pleanty of soft towels, and a hair dryer meant we had everyting we needed for our short stay. Everything was exceptionally clean and comfortable.

The balcony has a partial view of the bay, but I recommend taking a short walk to the end of their dock and enjoying the full view. We sat for hours in the evening and the next morning enjoying the peace and quiet while watching the wildlife.

The owners offered excellent information on dining options - no high pressure sales, just information about what was available.

I wish we had more time to spend in this hidden gem. If I go back to the Oregon coast, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank AP78218

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Newport
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I stumbled upon this family owned lodge by accident while traveling for work. After making a last minute decision to spend the night, I pulled in without a reservation and felt immediately welcomed. It is all the thoughtful little touches that make this place stand out: the wine glasses, free chocolates, ample towels, tasteful decorations, helpful advice from the owners on dining out... and not to mention the beautiful view of Nehalem Bay (the hotel is right on the water). I sat on the dock and watched the sunset, and then retreated to my room to enjoy the in-room jacuzzi. As I "hit the hay", I was thrilled to discover that the bed was of very high quality- more comfortable than my bed at home!
While my stay was just for one evening and business-related, I think this would be a great place for a vacation or romantic getaway. It is perfectly situated for kayak exploration (kayaks available at the hotel), and I noticed crab pots on the dock which I am sure are available for use by guests. Also, the town of Wheeler is pretty charming in itself and would be a good setting for a pleasure trip. I live down in Newport so I am very familiar with the offerings on the north coast, and you can't really go wrong with this spot.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights, very impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms and all they had to offer. Breakfast to go selections worked great for us as we are usually out and about early. Wireless internet worked well. Owners were so friendly and helpful! Great to visit with and geniunely seem to enjoy their guests. Movie selections, popcorn, other free snack selections, above and beyond what was expected. Kayak use free if you stay two nights, bay area is neat to explore. They are renovating the rooms, ours was not, but we didn't mind as it was clean and neat. We will definitely recommend this to anyone we know of going to the Oregon coast!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 6, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a place to relax for the weekend and enjoy a bit of the outdoors. I felt lucky to have found Wheeler on the Bay Lodge. The room was very clean with a soothing hot tub spa, just what we needed after a long work week. And the owners were such a delight! Free movie rentals was fun...they even gave us popcorn, soda, and candy to go along with it. But our favorite part was the free kayak rental. They let us take out the kayak (we chose to go tandem) for as long as we wanted; we were able to paddle up to Nehalem's city dock and have a nice fish & chips lunch there, then kayak back leisurely, enjoying the calm waters and the birds flying by. Even after we checked out of the room the next day the owners still encouraged us to take the kayak out again, and I'm glad we did. Sunday the weather was perfect for kayaking and the scenery was just gorgeous as we paddled around the small island in the bay. I've never stayed anywhere where the staff/owners were as accommodating as Pat & Tracy were. We had the perfect weekend trip and look forward to going back to this hidden gem again sometime.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We went for part of our spring break to the Oregon Coast and found this great place to stay. It is family owned and ran. You feel welcome with warmth when you step through the door. We went Kayaking, clamming, and wine tasting. It was a fantastic time. We hope to make it again to "Wheeler on the Bay" in the the summer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Imagine a lodging business so successful that they can afford to turn away paying customers on a winter Sunday night. We decided to stay here after reading the glowing reviews on TA. The web site has a nifty device to let you see what rooms are available and let you pick one. So I did, sending along the mandatory credit card details for our one-night stay en route to California.

The site said we'd hear back from them, an we did, being told that the room we had chosen required a two-night minimum stay and there were only three rooms designated for one-night stays. So I wrote back, saying we'd take any one of the three.

Nice try, but no cigar: next I was told these three rooms were already booked so no space was available. Unless, of course, I called the day before and hey let me have one of those two-night rooms for one night. Oh, sure.

If the web site had any mention of the two-night minimum I couldn't find it, though basic business ethics require that it should be disclosed.

Fortunately, there are other places to stay in Tillamook for less money and less hassle.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeterGrant76
pfscribner, owner at Wheeler on the Bay Lodge, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to do a review. We do post the rooms that have a two night minimum on our site under Rooms and Rates. Also, as I mentioned to you, that as we get closer to any certain time frame if the rooms are not reserved we open them up to one night stays. Having a two night minimum is normal practice in the Hotel/Motel industry. We also do, and did in your case tell guests to call/contact us as we get closer to their requested reservation date so that we can help them out. In your case the one night only rooms were already booked. As it happens and it does happen the room you wanted is open for a one night rental because no one took it for two nights. Again we are sorry for any inconvenience, but the two night policy is normal in this industry,
We hope you enjoy the Oregon coast where ever you are staying.
Pat,Tracy and family
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed November 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Wheeler on the Bay Lodge for the second time this year and had an awesome time!!! Tracey and Pat are wonderful hosts and their sons are so helpful and charming! We were able to participate in the free kayaking up the Nehalem River this time and it was absolutely terrific! We enjoyed the wildlife (including some cheeky seals) and on the day we went the water was as smooth as glass-what fun! We've stayed in a couple of different rooms on our visits and enjoyed all. We had a most relaxing time; with the free breakfast we picked up the night before (we stayed four days this time) we were able to sleep in and just pop the breakfast in the microwave from the fridge--no rush on time and breakfast in our pjs. The room we stayed in had a fireplace and jacuzzi spa which we enjoyed (especially after kayaking!). We are already looking forward to another mini-vacation at Wheeler on the Bay Lodge and recommend this place to anyone who enjoys quiet relaxation in a friendly little town and fun on the water.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeler
Garibaldi House Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Tradewinds Motel
Tradewinds Motel
#4 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Wheeler on the Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!