“Hidden gem, easy to find restaurant”
Review of Rising Star Cafe

Rising Star Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Wheeler
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2018

Unexpected, delightful gem of a small restaurant, we were driving on the coast and by chance happened to stop in the little town of Wheeler, OR. It's a small town and easy enough to drive past as there's only a block or two of small businesses. The Rising Star Café was was located up a small street off the main highway. Not being in a hurry we walked back to take a look and loved what we saw. Their menu was posted on the outdoor deck and the waitress/owner welcomed us in. It was small and charming! We had different dishes and both were delicious. They offered alternatives to the common fried food options seen almost everywhere. Today's special was fresh, local rockfish filets and a vegetarian option for my wife. The service was exactly right as we felt comfortable and well taken care of. I took a photo of my dessert which was so good I could barely believe it. I had their freshly made baked rum raisin bread pudding which was one of the best desserts I remember ever having. Next time we visit the Oregon coast we'll be sure to return.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

While searching for a restaurant that serves something besides deep-fried seafood, we found this little beauty on the internet. I spent a large part of my childhood living in the North Beach area of San Francisco and love good cioppino, a dish that is hard to find outside of the Bay Area.
I can say that the cioppino at Rising Star rivals anything I had in SF. The broth is fantastic...deep red and rich. There is a fine variety of fish, each cooked perfectly so you can taste the different varieties. The addition of mashed potato was surprising, but delicious.
The cafe is small and unpretentious, good for an area full of campers and beachcombers.
With food this good, you don’t need linen and crystal to get people through the door.
If you are anywhere near Wheeler, make your way to the Rising Star. Quickly. You won’t be disappointed.

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank bend395
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

We were spending the night in Wheeler on the Bay Lodge, and needed a place to eat dinner. The owner of the Lodge recommended this place and it didn’t disappoint! Being Thursday they had $12.5 pasta plates. We got the penne with bolognese sauce which was really good. The wife and I also split a big piece of apple cake with ice cream which was to die for!

It is a neat little restaurant with not much room so you might have to reserve on certain nights.

Also gotta mention the young guy (didn’t catch his name) who waited on us. He did a great job accomodating us even though we think he was fairly new on the job.

Date of visit: July 2018
3  Thank Koen235
Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

A great little out of the way gourmet restaurant. We both had fish entries. Fish was cooked to perfection each dish with a delectible sauce. Meal was better than most meals I have had at highly regarded Portland restaurants. Portions are ample and unfortunately had no room for desert. They are easily able to accommodate those needing gluten free options.

Date of visit: July 2018
3  Thank JEANNE L
Reviewed June 11, 2018

I made my reservation months in advance for my birthday. We got there early and were hustled across the street into a moldy musty unused room with the ceiling falling down! My heart sank. We did our best to enjoy our evening which was to have been the highlight of our week end, but I felt unhappy and uneasy. Our server ran back and forth across the street . Nobody was happy with their meal. This is in direct contrast to our last visit there which was 5 stars for all of us. I will never return.

Date of visit: June 2018
3  Thank cburgesscrn
RonaldMinsch, Owner at Rising Star Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2018

We do apologize for assuming you would be happy across the street, as many party's previously have. My issue with your unhappiness is, why wait to complain days after the fact ? If it is a problem now, why was it apparently not an issue during the event when we had the opportunity to make things right ? Instead you make untrue comments that is hurtful to a small business and have no bearing on the issue besides putting false information on social media. I cannot as the chef, take this to be anything more than fictions hit job when it is brought to light days after the fact. Your words would certainly have been heard, and action would have been taken into consideration had they been verbalized at the time of service, instead you seem content with creating unhappiness, leaving us with no options, which is grossly unfair. I vehemently deny ALL your accusations as untrue. Please reconsider your approach in the future.