“Wanted to love it....”

Ranked #2 of 65 Restaurants in West Linn
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Allium might make the grade as a decent "neighbor bistro" but if you're expecting previous Portland area Pascal Chureau ventures like Lucier, Fenouil, or even Tucci, you're likely to be disappointed. We looked past the generally haphazard front-of-the-house service, expecting to be blown away by the back-of-the-house. But what we got were curiously constructed, and poorly executed dishes with little to no eye-appeal. That might be forgivable if the chef is trying something new and/or innovative, but when it's salmon overdone to the point of having an almost particle-board texture....

If Allium was in our neighborhood, we'd give it another chance. But with the many better options in Portland just a few minutes further away, I doubt it.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Pleasant dinner for four; the other couple have dined here previously and recommended it. First, the pros: food was all very good. Chef has a nice touch, and has some inventive ideas. Liked the flavors of the heirloom tomato salad, the Dungeness crab toast; my pasta with lamb and peas was as good as anything similar I've ever had. Cocktails before dinner an a nice wine list with a good selection of wines by the glass. Cons: as mentioned by other reviewers, portions are small and prices are higher than they should be. Crab toast at $12 was one small piece - really? And, Mr. Waiter, we were ordering to share at a table of four, do you think maybe you should have mentioned this would be insufficient? Service wasn't bad, but you didn't really get the impression the staff was committed to making the evening memorable ... Menu is also quite limited - some good choices, but needs more choices to make people want to come back. I WOULD eat there again, but if it didn't knock my socks off I probably wouldn't be back a third time.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Maybe it's just me, I'm not real sure, but I just can't get into this restaurant. I have friends that love it, so maybe I'm just missing something. We went there two nights ago and it was relatively slow; sat outside since it was a really nice night. Tables on the sidewalk are sloped as it runs downhill so it's kind of uncomfortable depending on your position. The staff seems disinterested like they're helping you only because they have to. The food was good, not great and the portions were very small; the waiter even warned me that the small portion of my dinner was very small and probably not going to be enough food and he was correct. It's on the expensive side and I kind of expect that when I'm paying that much for dinner I'm going to get treated better and the food should be great; neither is the case. Plenty of choices in the Willamette area and I suggest you try one of the others if you haven't visited the area before. They really need to get a serious attitude adjustment and that is going to need to come from the top down. Probably won't be back.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Allium is a local gem that we have mistakingly ignored for years....finally trying it tonight for a family get together. Oh, what we have been missing!!!! Excellent!

There is plenty of outdoor seating for people and their well behaved dogs, either under umbrellas or building awnings. Who doesn't love a sidewalk cafe feel? The staff is attentive, but not over bearing. The atmosphere is casual but special.

The menu is small but FABULOUS. Seafood paella, lamb shank fettuccine, corn risotto with goat cheese with tarragon, calamari in tomato sauce and oh could I go on! We shared our dishes and each one was better than the next.

They also do fixed price theme dinners, the next being a Greek dinner. YUM! Desserts are equally decadent, and we tried FOUR!

What a great find in suburban West Linn. Worth the drive to 'burbia, worth the visit. This is a must go to restaurant.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Went to Allium for my parents's anniversary after hearing & teading good things about it - wow, what a huge disappointment!! The server was rude and grumpy & the food was nowhere near the quality I expected. I will admit that the restaurant itself is beautifully decorated but overall I give it a poor rating.