“Great Value”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Welches
Seattle, Washington
“Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel is very nice. We went there for my birthday. We had the fireside room, which is comfy and well decorated.
Minor thing: the coffee maker in the room is broken and the second night we were there, the couple above us were fighting and we could hear everything they shout at each other and they keep walking (and running) back and forth and throwing stuffs. That wasn't good experience, so if you have a good neighbor or better yet, ask for upper floor. You'll have a good time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Gresham, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

The lack of safety is horrible . would never feel safe staying there again. Do not leave any expensive items in your room. They will be stolen and there will be know signs of a break in. the general manger seem to be part of a cover up or he just doesn't give a dam. His lack of caring or trying to be helpful .Not willing to call police or work with us. His rudeness was unbelievable and lack of sensitive was even worst. He made us feel like a bigger victim then the person who stoled are stuff . Would never recommended staying there . they have not taken any measures to keep there guest or there belonging safe. Just because the place looks nice . Dont let that fool you . it is not safe !!!!!. would not feel safe closing my eyes to go to sleep or feel like i could take a shower safely , not sure who all has a pass card ( KEY) to your room. . Because who ever took are stuff used a key. Very scary but whats even more scary is that the management doesn't want to figure out how or who did it. I wont stay somewhere that they dont care about my safety.

8 Thank brenfoster
ratm2011, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Dear Brenfost,

First, please know that The Resort at The Mountain appreciated serving you as our guest and being a guest for your friend’s wedding event in February. Secondly, while The Resort at The Mountain regrets that your friends were subjected to an unfortunate experience, the resorts management has been handling the incident directly with the bride and groom. We sincerely appreciate your point of view and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on a future visit. Thank you
Corvallis, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

How would I rate my experience at The Resort at the Mountain?
Well, lets see... It ended up with an entire wedding party in the Bridal Suite telling a police officer about the numerous items that were stolen right out of the Bride and Grooms room on their wedding day! So, I would not say it was a great experience at all.

The hotel itself was up-kept nicely. The rooms were clean. The beds were pretty comfortable... Aesthetically it was a pleasing enough hotel, though I do not think you can go so far as to call something a 'Resort' when it is across the street from what looked to be shacks inhabited by squatters.

The customer service throughout the entire weekend was, in a word, terrible. Simply checking in to the rooms was a nightmare for all of us who had to move rooms the day of the wedding. The hotel would do nothing to help us out with storing our luggage, or trying to get us into a room sooner, even though they knew that we were busy with pictures and makeup all day long, being in the wedding party. I thought that this was ridiculous. I have never stayed at a hotel that can give you no indication AT ALL of where your room might be because you are an hour early. At the very least they could have held our items for us somewhere in their lobby area. Aside from the front desk staff me and the other bridesmaids had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and our server was completely rude, and even tried to take our coupons away though we had not spent them yet. Unacceptable. The ONLY positive experience I had with an individual working at the hotel was with our server the following Sunday when we were in a large party, who was very patient and accommodating, but it was certainly too little too late.

WORST OF ALL was the BLATANT LACK OF SECURITY throughout the entire resort, which lead to a break-in to the Bridal Suite that representatives of the hotel themselves were completely unwilling to do ANYTHING about , or even take responsibility for their oversight.

Honestly, can you imagine anything worse on your wedding day then finding out that while you and your new husband were out celebrating at your reception, (which they paid lavishly for by the way), some creep busted through your previously locked hotel slider and stole thousands of dollars worth of personal and cherished belongings!!!??? The burglar took the brides pearl jewelry, several gifted champagne bottles, money from the brides wallet, hundreds of dollars worth of gift cards that were wedding presents from family members, two cameras (i believe), one of which was the wedding photographers, and worst of all the brides Macintosh laptop which held on to two plus years of graphic design work, personal information, and thousands of photographs, which are now gone forever. This event was completely devastating, and I find it incredibly hard to believe that the hotel was not only completely unhelpful at the time, but refused to take any responsibility or provide any compensation what so ever for this disgraceful event. The only thing that was recovered was a Kindle, found out front of the building in the parking lot. Surely, with security cameras in the hallways, the thief could have been identified and apprehended. Of course, I am almost entirely under the impression that the robbery was premeditated and performed by someone in cahoots with the so called 'Resort' itself.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend?
You have got to be kidding me....

If you like your belongings, privacy, or being treated like a paying guest, then I would absolutely not recommend this hotel to ANYONE. If you feel like giving away some of your personal items and being completely written off, then by all means, enjoy.

5 Thank jnblech
Dear Jnblech,

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

My husband and I chose to have our wedding at the Resort at the Mountain on February 12th, 2011. They gave us a "free" room for our wedding suite. The ceremony and reception were beautiful. The food was really good except that the Resort had changed the menu without tell us. My Husband and I returned to our room and woke up in the morning to go snowboarding. Unfortunately while we were at the wedding someone had broke into our room and stolen my computer, my real pearl necklace, some cash and gift cards, and one of my photographers cameras. They had also taken my Kindle but that was found in the parking lot by another guest. I was hysterical; I am a graphic designer so without my computer I can't work. I had several projects on there and 2-3 years of photos that I will never get back. We filed a police report and a complaint against the resort. The General Manger Frank is a jerk. He was extremely rude and unprofessional to my husband. They received at least $15,000 from our wedding but they will not take any responsibility for not having security and my stuff being stolen. If you want your belongings stolen then you should stay at the Resort. Our story has spread in Oregon and I hope that I can save someone from making the mistake of losing valuable by staying there.

9 Thank TiffanyP21211
RevenueManager78, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
TiffanyP,

First please know that The Resort appreciated the opportunity to host your wedding, and we’re delighted to know the wedding was a success from the comments we’ve heard.

Second, while The Resort at The Mountain regrets that you were subjected to an unfortunate experience; all guests are advised to keep their guest room doors closed and to keep valuables left unattended in the guest rooms locked in the provided safes. All Resort rooms have in-room safes and also are available at the Front Desk free of charge. All Resort rooms have sliding glass doors that lead to the outdoor balcony/patio with a safety bar and locks.

The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Department was notified that a theft had occurred in a guest room. The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Department conducted an investigation and found that The Resort at The Mountain guest room showed no visible sign of forced entry not at fault for the incident, nor were they found negligent in their security measures and practices.

We wish you and your husband our best wishes for a happy and fulfilling life together!
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

I'll try to keep my review brief. My wife and I stayed at the Resort at the Mountain for two nights for a nice ski/snowboard trip. The resort was nice enough, with clean rooms, strong Wi-Fi, and what appeared to be plenty of amenities. We went up during the Superbowl, so it was pretty dead, but we got in on their "two-for-one" special. All in all it was a good deal. I'm not the kind of guy to pay full price for a hotel, so getting in on their promotion was a big win. We didn't experience the restaurant, but it looked nice. However, we did go to Mallards on the golf course for their superbowl 'party' which was very low key, but enjoyable. The burger and onion rings at Mallards were good and the Superbowl prices were extremely fair. One night we had the opportunity to check out the jacuzzi, but it wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been (see below). One thing to note is that the pool and jacuzzi is outside and uncovered. I wish I had more time and better weather to check out the golf course and other amenities, but other priorities took over.

Here are my disappointments:
- One of the things I would have liked to have seen was a free breakfast, but understand why it wasn't included. At very least, some muffins or something at the front desk would have been nice. I'm nitpicking, so I digress...
- When we went to the jacuzzi, there was an employee and his girlfriend that were already there and had been drinking as evidenced by the beer cans around them. They weren't being too obnoxious, but more than anything it was just annoying to be sharing the facilities with an employee that was talking about "how f*in great it will be when I leave this place"
- The toilets in the rooms were horrendous. I know,.. not a pleasant complaint, but seriously, every time my wife or I flushed, we'd have to hold down the handle and count slowly to five for it to actually do anything. Eventually we made a game of it and laughed about it later, but not laughing in a good way.. (BTW, I know this wasn't just our room because we had relatives staying in another room that had the same running 'joke')
- The TV was nice that it was a flatscreeen, but no Hi-Def. The lack of HD signal is not the complaint,.. I'm actually REALLY impressed when a hotel has it. Rather, it was just annoying that there was a considerable delay between when you pushed a button on the remote and when the TV would react. Once again, this was replicated in another room.
- If you are looking for a place near the slopes, you might want to keep looking. This location is not too far from the slopes, but some may be put off driving for a half hour to get to the snow.

Lastly,.. (and I'll admit that I'm really sensitive about this type of thing) the customer service was 'fair'. I suppose this isn't a complaint as much as it is a commentary on what distinguishes a good experience from a great one. There wasn't any outright negatives about our interactions with the crew, but there weren't any shining stars either. I know,.. the staff is going to read this review and think "Who does this guy think he is?" But coming from the customer service and hospitality industry, excellent customer service is what people are willing to pay for when the economy is down. One example is that no one ever asked how my stay was when I checked out. If they did, I would have told them of my experiences above.

All in all, I would gladly return and recommend to friends, but they have some room for improvement. As I am writing this I feel like I inadvertantly gave this review a negative connotation, but that is not my intention - It really is a good place to check out.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

It is reasonable price with unique room structure. I would go there again with my partner. We love to relax over there. It is very quite over there.

Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

We loved almost everything about this hotel from the moment we drove up. Before we even got there, we were thrilled to discover the buy one night, get one free offer during midweek, which had early check in as standard. The location is perfect for a winter trip as the roads here were not covered with snow yet it was a very quick drive up to the snow. The entrance area is beautiful with a well landscaped water feature, and as we entered the lobby, we were met by a crackling fire. The staff was friendly and helpful, and we were immediately impressed with our room. I thought the bed linens were gorgeous, and turned out to be some of the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel, and we had a lovely view from our patio and were close to the pool. We also had ample storage - I loved the closet lined with all the pegs - and 2 spa robes in the room for our use - perfect for coming and going to the jacuzzi in Winter!

The first morning, we had breakfast packed to go so we could eat in our room. The staff again was very friendly and helpful, and I loved the interesting menu selection, but we found the food to be just average. My husband was expecting real Italian sausage in his omelette, but it was only breakfast links. The in room coffee was quite good however! We also used the puttputt course, which my son loved, and the spa later that day. The spa was really amazing - there was a mix up with our appointments, but it was easily fixed and they even offered us a discount. The building was beautiful and both of our services were great.

We really only had a couple "issues" with our stay:
The internet was patchy.
We were disappointed that microwaves were not standard.
There was no table where the kids could sit and eat or do activities.
My number one issue, however, was no high up safety latch on the door (actually no safety latch at all). Our two year old could easily open it with nothing to slow her down, and she got out of the room so we had to go chase her!

Other than those few things, we loved the hotel and hope to return some time!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank neomia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welches
Timberline Lodge
BEST WESTERN Sandy Inn
Quality Inn Gresham
Quality Inn Gresham
#1 of 11 in Gresham

Been to Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!