“Fabulous service and relaxing getaway”

Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Welches
Tacoma, Washington
“Fabulous service and relaxing getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I chose this resort as an anniversary trip in May not knowing what to expect. We were pleasantly suprised at the beautiful surroundings and grounds of the resort! Our dining experiences were wonderful and very personalized. The food was very good, tasty and different! My husband golfed 18 holes at the golf course, the grounds were fantastic and manicured, true Northwest style with lovely greens and gorgeous scenery. I loved the Spa, so relaxing and professional with a lovely relaxation room and full amenities. Our room was recently updated, very private and quiet. We will for certain be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea W
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate your business, and your referrals. It was good to hear your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

John A. Erickson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

A long with Review by TD, we have also stayed at The Resort at the Mtn several times prior to staying last night with our 2 dogs. I'm in agreement, although I will add if you do still decide to stay the room were in is located the best, at the end and it has more privacy. The pet friendly rooms are called the Croft rooms, and I agree that they are not as nice as the rooms we've had in 2 prior stays, and therefore should be priced accordingly. IMO, it's often a bit of a gamble when bringing your pets along. We've booked for example a hotel in Bellevue WA that also claimed to be "recently remodeled" when visiting for the Holidays that after an hour we couldn't take it and we left. The upside to the Croft room we had (C10) was that it was private, nice peaceful view of the woods surrounding the golf course with a small patio off it, and super comfy beds, pillows, linens like the other rooms we've stayed in. Rooms were clean, but as anyone with a dog knows, it only takes a minute for your dog to start sniffing every inch, so the dogs are very conscious that other animals have been there. Does the room smell? Well it's a pet room, so there is definitely a different smell than a room where no pets have been. We didn't find it to be a problem and were both pretty sensitive to smell, and my husband is sensitive to pet dander. What I didn't like is that the back fenced area is so shallow that you feel like your intruding on the other rooms privacy if you try o get your pet out more than 4 ft from the doorway in the patio. Plus there are deep holes in the lawn which you can easily break an ankle in if your not careful, and at night their not easily seen or avoidable. There are fridges in the room which are nice, and your right across from the Mallard restaurant and near the spa. It doesn't appear that the restaurant is pet friendly even outside, as we couldn't get an answer from the hostess, just a puzzled look and "hmmmmm, I don't think so". We actually drove around and asked several restaurants, really surprised this close to Portland not to have pet friendly dining hn every one walked had outdoor seating. We ended up at the Rendezvous Grill. They too did not really have pet friendly dining, but we're sweet enough to say, we"ll If you don't mind tying them to a nearby tree and making sure they don't come onto the Patio we"ll seat you." We semi reluctantly agreed ( only because we're not used o doing that) we're afraid it would cause our dogs to moan or howl, as their not used to that. Fortunately they were ok as long as they could see us. We had great service, good food. Long story short, we'll probably leave the dogs at home next time and not count on the RATM to be one of our choices for pet friendly places, we still love their other rooms and the grounds are beautiful. We've found it very relaxing their. Stay without Pets rank a 4, with pets a 3.

Room Tip: Upstairs in regular rooms, fireside our favorite, C10 in the Croft pet friendly rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The Dalles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was the most amazing feeling stay I've ever had. The room was to die for, spacious and comfortable. The bedding and towels were luxurious. Starbucks coffee in the room was very special. Wish there had been a microwave though. The grounds are beautiful and overall, our stay was extremely relaxing!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the upgrade to Fireside Room if you have a pet.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments! We appreciate your taking time to tell us about your stay. And, thank you for your business.

Best Regards,

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I wanted to take my mom away for a weekend and after much deliberation decided on this place based on its location, modern decor, and amenities. I had lowered my expectations a bit after reading a few negative reviews (ok it's a motel style layout, no HD tv, dim lighting, some run-ins with the front desk), but hey we weren't looking for anything mind-blowing. Someone had said that calling this place a "resort" is a joke and I agree, but it wouldn't be too bad if the price was anywhere near what you're actually getting for it. I'd pay $90 a night to stay here, tops (I don't plan a return visit, to be clear). I felt like a lot of the advertising was slick deception and it's never fun when you feel that you've been duped or mislead.

I notice that all the pictures here are posted by the management or of similar ilk so I am adding a few. A couple show the exterior of the buildings and one shows the view from our room. Another is a map of the sprawling complex. The two green highlights are the main reception desk and the spa, just to give you an idea of how spread out things are. So clearly the buildings are old, I get that. I don't judge a book by its cover. But I will judge a book by the integrity of its structure when I'm paying $180+ a night to read said book. The company boasts that it has spent $17 million renovating this place but by the looks of it, most of it went into flat panel TVs, fancy showerheads, and probably the golf course (didn't get a good look--I'm not a golfer). Not much went into reinforcing the actual structures which means if you have a first floor room, any movement upstairs will make your ceiling creak and rumble. I'm not talking just a bit of creaking. I'm a sensitive sleeper and wear earplugs; my mom sleeps like a log through anything. This kept both of us up until 1 in the morning and woke us up at 6 each morning. (By the second day we were giddy with sleep deprivation and took a video to amuse ourselves: http://www.youtube.com/w…. Even with my crappy phone mic you can hear it. Extrapolate from here). When I spoke with the front desk about it the response I got was, "Oh yeah, you should have called us and we would have sent security out there." To do what? The poor guy is just walking! "Oh we could have moved him to a different room. We've done it before." Are you serious? Then she follows up with, "Honestly, from all the complaints I hear, I would never want to stay on the first floor!!" She takes off the resort fee off for my troubles (a whopping $15 a night) and says she has no authority to do more, but she will make sure the manager, Jennifer, calls me when she gets in at 3 pm. What a surprise that it's 10 pm and I haven't heard anything.

The front desk staff were mildly sympathetic but it was clear situations like these were the norm. I can't imagine that something like this is the norm at any other "resort"... anywhere! I could write a novel with the rest of my story but here's the short version:

-The very first issue we ran into was that they gave us a room with one bed when I confirmed by phone for two. When I called the front desk, their reply was,"There ARE two beds. The sofa folds out into a queen bed and it looks like we don't have any other rooms available." And the lady at the front desk wonder why I didn't jump at the opportunity to ask for help with the noise? Usually when a hotel says that a room has two beds, it doesn't mean one real bed and a foldout sofa, amiright?

-My poor mom, being the way she is, tried sharing the bed with me one night and then insisted on taking the sofa. She woke up with bites on her face the next morning from who knows what :(

Jeeeesssus. And now we're back home, after 7 hours of driving on a combined total of 20 hours of sleep between two people, more stressed out than we were on Friday. If you're going to stay in the Mount Hood area I'd check out Timberline Lodge. We visited for a bit on Saturday--their look is very rustic, but the surrounding scenery is gorgeous and I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't run into these ridiculous problems there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank AdventureAardvark
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is what I like when I travel. A five star experience that is affordable.After pondering for some time on the happy problem of what I liked best about the Resort, I have finally decided on 1) the golf, and Pine Cone, my favourite 9 of the 27 holes--all of which are interesting, exciting with great greens --but I will never forget making it through the "chute" on Pine Cone's #5; 2) the cocktails at Mallards--my first included pecan-infused bourbon and cherry juice, and the second one --the next day--was some tequila-based concoction, heaven in a glass, is all I can say; there was a complete rainbow around the sun, and it took me some time to realize it was really happening, it was not the drink--but it could have been; 3) the bed--ok, i may have to use the word heaven again, though perfect also works. Perfect linens, perfect comfort. I also loved the 18 hole miniature golf course, the way "family golf" works on the big courses, the swimming pool, both the restaurants, the look of the spa, which I did not manage to try--only because I couldn't tear myself away from the golf courses, and, finally, all the people we encountered there--they clearly are proud of the Resort, they work hard, they like what they are doing and they want us to have a good time. (My husband was impressed by the New York IPA on tap, brought in because it had scored 92 in Beer Spectator.) I only wish I lived in Portland, and the Resort was not 6 hours away by car away from us. I would be there now.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to let us know of your experience, and to provide such positive comments. We enjoyed having you stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back often.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here three or four times and had a great time. Good food. Nice location. Competent staff. Then we decided to bring our dog with us. The Resort charges you the same amount as a regular room plus $30 for the pet. Very understandable. Unfortunately they proceed to put you in a room in some sort of out building on the edge of the property. These rooms don't match the quality of their regular rooms. It's like a pet ghetto on the edge of the real resort. They need to inform you that the pet friendly rooms are far below the standards of their regular rooms BEFORE you book your room. This fact is not indicated on their website nor at their front desk. Then they need to charge you a reduced rate that matches the quality of the room. Once that happens this review would go up by one or two stars. In summary, great place just not good value if you come with a pet. In fact, leave the dog at home. Clearly, The Resort would prefer that you do.

Room Tip: If you do come with a pet you must demand a room in Building 2. That's their overflow for pet r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We do appreciate your comments and critique. Thank you for your positive, and your suggested change. We encourage you to return in the future.

Best Regards,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here the week of June 17,2013. This is a great location for access to the mountain--Mt. Hood--and nearby national park recreational areas. Less than an hour's drive from Portland.
Nice golf course located walking distance from the resort. Also, several tennis courts available.
But... the best reason to stay here--in my opinion-- is the comfort of the beds. This has to be one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I can't remember a 5 star hotel having a more comfortable bed.

The small dog we have loved the resort also. The place is pet friendly and has one of the nicest rooms available with a "fenced-in" area just outside the patio door.

Room Tip: Ask for the "Crofts" area of rooms if you have a dog you want to take with you. These roo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your comments. We appreciate your business, your recommendation as a place to stay, enjoy, and to bring your pet.

Safe Travels,
John A. Erickson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welches
Timberline Lodge
BEST WESTERN Sandy Inn
Quality Inn Gresham
Quality Inn Gresham
#1 of 11 in Gresham

Been to Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!