“Nice Getaway”

Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Welches
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We wanted a quick family getaway from Portland for the Memorial Day weekend. We stayed in The Croft and overall we were pleased with our stay. However, there are a few things that would make me want to stay in a different part of the resort.

CONS:
--The unit we had was the only one that did not have a covered porch...granted we had an extended indoor seating area but if we wanted to sit outside out of the elements...we did not have this option.
--Also the chairs were left out in the rain and the seats were soaked so even if we wanted to brave the PNW rain, we couldn't as we would be swimming in water when we sat down.
--Rain shower head needed to be cleaned with CLR as it was gunked up and we had to wipe it down so the shower head did not spray all over the floor.
--Due to the design of the shower areas when taking a shower (Only choice for the Croft) the floor becomes soaked and you have to waste at least 2 towels so you do not fall when exiting the shower.

Despite the shower situation which honestly was a minor nuisance compared to the toilet.

MAJOR CON:

--the toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--I applaud The Resort for trying to be eco-friendly and actually taking their pledge and commitment seriously with what they do. HOWEVER, when you have just urinated in the "eco-friendly" toilet and you have to flush it 4 times to flush the urine (without toilet paper--I have boys) then the "eco-friendly" pledge goes right out the window. We had to manually adjust the toilet to flush better so we could actually use toilet paper and if we had to flush at least 4 times for urine...can you imagine the production of flushing fecal matter :/

PROS:

--the lady working Sunday at the Activities Center was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! She alone actually made the cons worth overlooking (well until my youngest took a crap :/ :/) but she was very nice, pleasant, smiled and joked with us. Played put-put in the center with the kids and took the time to show each one of us how to hold the iron without being condescending or intrusive. She was also very nice when she had to tell my kids that due to the rain and condition of the tennis courts that they couldn't play in a way that didn't deflate them. She also quickly gave them other options to enjoy since the tennis courts were not available. I honestly felt like a member of her family who had just come in to visit...she was AWESOME!!!!!!!

--The beds and linens were like soft clouds. If I could have found a way to take them all home with me without getting in trouble...I'd be in my clouds right now.

--no small bathrobes. I have been to resorts/hotels where they offer bathrobes and they are small or Kate Moss small. This just doesn't work for me since I like to wrap myself up like a mummy when I'm in my bathrobe so it was a pleasant surprise to find other sizes available there.

--Heated Pool....I really don't have to explain this. it was a heated pool so we could enjoy swimming in the cold rain and play around.

Overall, the experience wasn't that bad. You are literally within a 10 min (slow) walk to the grocery store if you need something. While it would be nice if the resort was all on one property and not separated, it's just a personal thing that I would prefer and not anything the resort can correct (though a free large bathrobe might work :) jk).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank em-foreverangel
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for both your positive and constructive comments. We do appreciate hearing when we need to address items, and to give praise to our star associates. Our Nature Concierge staff appreciates your positive reaction to this new service. Our housekeeping and engineering staff are addressing your comments immediately. Unfortunately the room you stayed in does not have a covered patio, and we look forward to your return to experience one of our other accommodations.

Thank you for your business.

John A Erickson

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was a great find!
Less than a hour from Portland, the Resort at the Mountain was a wonderful overnight getaway. The grounds and he resort itself are beautifully maintained and a pleasure to experience. The staff were all very friendly and the dining experience at Altitude was amazing- both service and food-wise. Yum!
The room was upscale, comfortable and extremely clean with lots of amenities. Our only regret was that we didn't make reservations at the spa before arriving as they were booked up when we inquired. Look forward to another visit and a chance to experience the spa!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for business, and for your comments. We appreciate your taking time to provide your review, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Average room, motel style, in a very good location with clean rooms and linens. Nothing stands out as particularly good or bad. All of the staff with whom we interacted were quite pleasant however. We avoided the restaurants based on reviews, but found good coffee and food nearby. Overall, the room felt overpriced; neither unique nor memorable. It is a fine place to stay, but I imagine there are better options nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

First and last stay here for sure. Planned to have memorable birthday trip at a "resort" up on Mt. Hood but found myself at a beautiful property on the outside and un cared for place inside. :( Dust and cob webs in dinning area, bugs in window sills in guest room, worn out items in room, guest book scribbled in, do not disturb sign 100 years old it seemed, scratched up doors and walls inside the guest room. Not a cared for place, except for the grounds. It's one of those places you want to uncover the pillows and bed and see what you have paid for. No "happiness" around there, no super friendly people, just people doing their job and not really caring much about the details or the satisfaction of their guests. Asked for another night was told to call back, that they couldn't make a note of me wanting to stay anothr night. And I only wanted to stay another night BEFORE I arrived to my room. Once I fully checked in and looked around, I didn't want to stay another night and did not so. I stayed the two I had planned and that was too many nights at this place. NOT worth the money!! No competition up there so they can do what they want. Don't stay here, details don't matter, like cleanliness and guest satisfaction, those are details, right? At check out, they asked how my stay was, I said it was just ok and they said "sign here and have a nice day." Could have complained from the get go but why, details don't matter there and it was clear how much they care and would care.

Room Tip: Don't pick any room here, that's my best advice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CAROL A
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear of your experience this past weekend. Your comments, and criticisim, are very important to me. It would be helpful to gain more insight from you. Would you be willing to provide more detail directly with me? I would encourage you to provide as much detail as possible so that we can address your comments and gain from your insight.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We used to love to come here but it's definitely gone downhill in the past few years.

The rooms need to be spruced up and the staff needs to polish up their attitudes as well. Even with a Groupon it feels like staying here is a ripoff. Not sure what's happened in the past few years but it isn't good. I hope management starts paying more attention.

Room Tip: Stay in a room that has a patio onto the common area. Those are generally nicer and you have quick a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KB B
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feed back, both positive and constructive. I look forward to addressing your comments. Please contact me directly at The Resort so that I can take corrective action to insure we always meet your expectations.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our only regret was that we were just able to stay the one night! All staff that we encountered were beyond helpful. The food is terrific and well priced. We found the bed to be wonderful and left us rested the next day. The bathroom is gorgeous! The entire property was enchanting with the room feeling very luxurious. We will make sure to stay no less than 3 nights next time we are up this way! The only downside was when we were outside, the heating unit was very loud. Since you're sitting right next to it, the sound was a major distraction when trying to immerse yourself if the sounds nature. (I ended up turning it off while I was on the patio.)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Resort M, General Manager at Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and insights. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had a one night stay on our way from Bend to Portland, Every staff member we encountered was helpful, friendly, and accommodating in every way. Had a very comfortable King bedded room with Euro style linens, large flat screen TV, and eco friendly upscale toiletries in a tasteful modern-decor bathroom. Great golf course with very reasonable green fees. Got a good rate for our stay through a Trip Advisor, special making for an excellent value. The setting for the resort is woodsy and intimate, but lacks any real view (woods and trees are not a big deal for most Northwesterners) or sense of "specialness". While I would not rate the Resort at the Mountain as a "luxury" property it is very comfortable, upscale, and classy. Bed and bath are great (most important wouldn't you agree?), Interior spaces are of high standard, staff is terrific, and the value is excellent. Best choice in the area. We'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to rate our property, and to provide our staff with your comments. We look forward to seeing you return often.

We do appreciate your business.

John A. Erickson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Welches
Timberline Lodge
Cooper Spur Mountain Resort
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Whispering Woods Resort
Best Western Sandy Inn

Been to Resort at The Mountain, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!