Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
$49
$139
Redmond Inn(Redmond)
$63
Best Western Ponderosa Lodge(Sisters)(Great Value!)
$156
$140
BestWestern.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewshigh deserthorseback ridingdeep endwarm poolbig poolmini golfgreat weekendcentral oregonfire pitvillage poolsalmon cakeshuckleberry jammineral poolspring poolindian reservationwaterslidesfloat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We went to this resort on 5/11/13 for a mother's day weekend getaway. The hotel is a bit outdated and is in need of some TLC, pherhaps they should have a visit from Anthony Melchiorri from Hotel Impossible. From the website it seemed like this hotel was very nice for the way the advertise. First, the pool with the slides is not right on the resort, it is actually about a mile from the resort and you have to drive. The pool opens at 10:00 am and closes at 6:00 pm. It is not exclusive for the resort guests as it is a public pool and anyone can go by paying $15.00, if you are a resort guest and want to use the slides you will have to pay $4 per day per guest. Oh and forget the little ones because the slides can be used only if you are 48" inches or taller. They only have one restaurant "The Chinook" food was average, but very pricey. We went for the Mother's day brunch buffet and it was not worth the $30 per adult and $15 per children. The bar at the hotel was also average, the female bartender was not that much friendly, but as I learned she had been working all day (maybe a double shift) food at the bar was not that good either. The pool at the hotel was nice and they open until 11:00 pm., however the problem with that is that there was drunk people in the pool and there is no lifeguard. There were many teenagers partying at night and it got loud and noisy, the police had to arrive and after that it got quiet. I guess it was not that bad, but I don't see myself paying $600 to $700 on a weekend at that hotel. Also, I will say that my kids (6 and 7) enjoyed the weekend at the pool and the mini golf!

9  Thank lauranet
Carlos S, Manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

I'm so glad to hear that your kids enjoyed our pool and mini golf, Laura! We work very hard to provide an exciting, family-friendly environment, so it's great to hear that they enjoyed themselves. However, I'm disappointed to hear that you found our food overpriced. Being in such a remote location, it takes a lot of logistical work to bring fresh, high-quality ingredients out to Kah-Nee-Ta. While this drives up the prices, we also believe that it improved the quality and overall experience of our restaurant.

Customer feedback is extremely important to us, so I will definitely bring up your suggestions at our next management meeting. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and I hope you give us another chance sometime soon.

Till then,

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I could not believe how this place is run, as much money as they charge you would think it would be clean and professionally run. They pretty much just open the pool and water slide at their leisure, then close early. The pool was so dirty, I would assume they would clean the pool nightly, not so, amongst many other things, there was a tampon at the bottom of the pool, I made the kids get out of the pool that day, we came back the next day, it was still there. At first I thought the hot tub just had paint chipping off the bottom, I was horrified to find that the large black patches on the bottom were dead bugs.

12  Thank Tilley292

We work very hard to provide a fun, family-friendly environment for our guests, so I'm very disappointed to hear that you found our pool's cleanliness sub-par. When did you visit us? I would love to look through our pool's records to see who was responsible for cleaning. I appreciate your feedback, and hope you give us another chance sometime soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

From the website we anticipated a resort atmosphere with spa, two pools, bar and restaurant. My daughter and I planned on pedicures while hubby relaxed at the pool, then all enjoying some time on the waterslides and laying in the sun with some cocktails for the adults. Website failed to mention the two pools are not at the same location. The spa and the pool with the slides is down the road, and there is only a basic snack bar there, no restaurant or alcohol. The spa was completely booked all weekend for pedis, though I had been told appointments were not necessary. Headed into the pool area, pool was packed full at 11 am. No place to sit except the concrete, which was impossible as the only towels they provide are hand towels. We left and went back to the hotel pool. Although many chairs were broken we scrounged up 3 and found a spot. Bought real towels in the gift shop (hotel does not have pool towels at all) and after getting some drinks from the bar (needed it by that point) we managed to finally get our time in the sun. My poor kid didn't get to play on the slides but at least got some swimming in. One plus about our stay was the restaurant. While somewhat pricey at least the food was good. This was definitely not the resort experience we anticipated, and although our pool pass (for the waterslide pool) was good the following day also, we just went home after checkout of our room. Apparently the waterslide pool is available at a fee to others who are not overnight guests, thus why it is jammed full by 11 am on a warm weekend. We saw carloads of people driving in there as we were leaving. Although it was not awful and we managed to have an okay time, we will not go back. If you have to bring your own pool towels and bagfuls of snacks from Costco as we saw others doing, why pay $149 per night? Those things should be available...did I mention the hotel only offered vending machines with chips at $1.50? Only other option for snacks was the bar menu...not cheap. At $149 per night, just not worth it overall.

9  Thank lopper

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our food, but I'm disappointed that you weren't able to get your pedicure. The large pool with the slide is a community pool — it's opened to the public and can get very crowded on the weekend. We work really hard to provide a family-friendly environment, so alcoholic beverages have not been a huge focus for us. I'll bring this up at our next management meeting.

Customer feedback is very important for us, so I really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review here on TripAdvisor. We work very hard to improve our resort every day and will take all of your recommendations into consideration.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I think that you could have a wide variety of experiences here, both good and bad, depending on the type of accommodations you request, and the time of year you visit. If you expect anything more than 3 star accommodations, you may be disappointed. That being said, we stayed in the Village hotel and our 5 year old son had a great time.

We liked that the properties were clean and well landscaped, and that the food was very good. It was cold and windy in April, but still the pool was hot enough to enjoy being outside. The pool is open to the public, and is extremely busy in the summer. On the downside, the short hours for the pool and the snack shack can be a problem since there is absolutely nothing in proximity to this resort. They have you as a captive audience, but aren't providing many choices in the Village. For some this is no issue, as many people are grilling and cooking for themselves. The Chinook Room for lunch and breakfast buffet was really quite delicious. The mini golf needs a renovation and has been neglected. Horseback riding is across the street and was fun.

There are a variety of choices for rooms, and here's what you need to know: The Lodge is about a mile up the road from the main attractions, and across from the the golf course. It contains all the food options besides the snack bar. It has a central pool, but the huge hot springs one is down the road at the Village. If you stay at the Village, you can stay in a standard hotel room, a cabin, or a teepee that sleeps 10. These all put you in walking distance to the pool.

If you pick the Village hotel, I would recommend getting a room on the second floor, for the vaulted ceilings and the extra large balconies. There are TV's and DVD players, but no cable. No internet. No phone service, for us. The beds were pretty rough, with El Cheapo bedding. The Indian Head Casino, which used to be at the Lodge, is now 14 miles from the property.

In summary, this was an enjoyable trip for us, but I give it 4 stars because our kid loved it, not because it is a posh resort experience. It's in a picturesque and remote location, and you will see many wild horses on the drive, which is amazing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank some_honest_guy
Carlos S, Manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Family fun, great food, beautiful location — that's exactly what we're going for, so it's great to hear that your son had a blast! I'm glad that you got to see the wild horses on your drive. That's such an amazing sight.

One of the perks of our spring-fed pool is warm water all year round. I'm glad to hear that you could enjoy swimming even during April. Due to demand, we keep shorter pool hours outside of the summer months — however, in the summer hours are increased.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review here on Yelp. We'd love to have you back again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just spent three nights at the kahneeta resort, great time had by all. Our family ages ranged from 10 to 57. The pool was so warm, which was good since the weather was on the cool side. The slides were fun. Slide and pool price should be included with room price. Our room was large, clean and comfortable.
My daughter gave we a spa day, had a pedicure and a body soak, it was all good. The staff was nice and very helpful.
One night we had dinner up at the Lodge, beautiful dining room, staff very good service. The food was fabulous.
Yes it is out in the middle of no where, maybe more eating out choices should be added as most rooms have no kitchens. We ate lots of cold sandwiches and things but over all did just fine.
The grounds were clean and kept up.
I would stay here again, great place to bring the family.
Hopefully next time is later in the year with more sunshine.

Room Tip: Families should stay in the village, more for children to do.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Shirley W
Carlos S, Manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We pride ourselves in being a family-friendly resort that can appeal to all ages and I'm glad to hear you all enjoyed your stay. Our chefs will be proud to hear that you enjoyed your meal at the lodge! I will make sure to pass your praise on to them.

Customer feedback is very important to us. I appreciate your suggestions and will look into how we can offer additional food options in the future. I hope you and your family visit us again soon.