“Small Town Gem”
Review of Mingo Motel

Mingo Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wallowa
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Small town's are notorious for dated & rundown motels. We were pleasantly surprised to find this not to be the case with the Mingo Motel. The owner's have obviously invested money and time to turn this small town motel into a pleasant experience with clean updated accommodations. The fact that it is situated on a perpendicular side street and not the main drag ensures a quieter night. A quaint coffee shop next door is an additional draw.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 20, 2014

What a delightful find! The Mingo Motel is a gem among cobbles( as compared to most establishments in small towns)!! Beautifully decorated with locally and USA made linens and furniture. Rustic elegance is the best description I can think of. And with the "Blond Strawberry" café/coffee shop just across the parking lot is a wonderful addition.

The combination of the two makes this one of the most attractive corners in Wallowa.

PS: New Tempurpedic mattresses added to the wonderful sleep happening at this motel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank jl98903
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Wallowa is a small community, but the Mingo Motel is affordably priced and well situated, not far from Joseph and Lake Wallowa. The owners have provided clean, comfortable rooms. I think it's the best option for the price in the area. My wife and I were here for two nights. It was quiet, we slept comfortably and well, then pressed on. There were no disappointments. Dining choices in town were limited to the Main Street Grill and a drive-in (drive-by) operation. There is nothing else in the area that I can recommend that meets this price.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I say best there is because it's the ONLY place in Wallowa. That said, it's a tidy little place, very humble, but clean and generally comfortable. It's been thoughtfully updated within the limitations of the 1950s/1960s-era construction. The room was clean and quiet, but the low-budget mattress could have been more comfortable. The town of Wallowa is tiny and not exactly a vacation destination. We stopped here on a road trip to see Eastern Oregon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
chase e, Owner at Mingo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to rate my motel. I am always open to suggestion on how to better my property and make your stay the best stay at any motel my size period. After reviewing your comment on our cheap mattress I did something about it. Firstly there were not cheap when I purchased they are SIMMONS DEEP SLEEP mattress. They cost new less then 3 years ago $850 a mattress because I purchased 28 mattress. I just purchased 2 inch custom memory foam toppers at great expense to make your future stay perfect. They now are in use beginning 5/23/2014 and the response is out of this world great. I wish someone would have said something 3 years ago so I could fix the problem. By the way my motel was built in 1975 which in Wallowa county makes my motel the third newest motel in the county. thanks again chase

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This may be the nicest little motel I have ever encountered. The hard-working owner has completely updated the rooms and decorated them with furnishings handmade by local artists. Everything is immaculately clean and well-maintained. Birdhouses and flower beds make even the outdoor benches attractive. My friends and I stopped the night before we started a backpacking trip into the Eagle Cap Wilderness. We liked it so much that we stopped for another night when we emerged 5 days later. Those showers felt good!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeanette G
Reviewed October 20, 2013

There were loads of Mosquitos in the room and bathroom so a good nights rest was not had sadly
The rom was gloomy with an odd mural on the wall
Otherwise clean and shower worked well
Odd reference to rags for cleaning up

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
chase e, Manager at Mingo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

This traveler had a beautiful room with new carpet and new paint. He stayed in room 8 and left the door opened for the mosquitos to come in. When he left he left the door open it took me 2 hours to kill the mosquitos he let in. He paid with tax $53.00 for the room. How can I control Mosquitos that he let in. Next time nick stay at your moms are stay in enterprise. Wanted wine with a beer budget.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Traveling through 3 states in 3 days on my two wheeled steed with day two coming into Wallowa OR. from a 2 hour stormy ride via the rattle snake [ 3d twistiest road in North America ]. My hopes that my booking at the Mingo Motel was the right choice. Was welcomed by the owner himself. He was expecting me [ albeit not in such a wet condition ]. First thing was to defrost. I was so pleased that the shower and yes bathroom was wonderfully inviting. A shower that was not only hot, but worked flawlessly. Finally after drying out I noticed my pleasant surroundings. Everything was clean, well kept and handcrafted! The bed, the table, the handcrafted wooden entertainment unit, handmade soaps especially made for the motel. WOW! All this in motel in a town of 700!

I had a chance to chat with Chase as I tended to my rain soaked steed. He was proud to share his story of rebuilding the Motel literally from the roof down! The Motel is a labour of love and one of substantial personal fiscal investment. To state that each square foot has been detailed with unique touches, is to see it for yourself. From the moment drive up and see hand painted saw blade [ specially painted for the Mingo ] to the peeking bear and the chainsaw carved sign, you begin to see all other details. From flawlessly painted doors, to suites filled with handcrafted log furniture dressed in Cabella bedding. Even the windows are etched and covered with real wood slats.

I can go on. In closing my stay at the Mingo and yes the small town of Wallowa was fabulous. Quaint lodging in a quaint town. A definite must stay for those carving the twisties all day. Don't forget pastries and great coffee at the Blonde Strawberry Coffee House right beside the Mingo. Equally as great [ yup same owner ] .

See you again!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. You won't be disappointed. Have a chat with Chase and he will happily share...