“Nicest Little Motel”
Review of Mingo Motel

Mingo Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wallowa
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This may be the nicest little motel I have ever encountered. The hard-working owner has completely updated the rooms and decorated them with furnishings handmade by local artists. Everything is immaculately clean and well-maintained. Birdhouses and flower beds make even the outdoor benches attractive. My friends and I stopped the night before we started a backpacking trip into the Eagle Cap Wilderness. We liked it so much that we stopped for another night when we emerged 5 days later. Those showers felt good!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeanette G
There are newer reviews for Mingo Motel

Reviewed October 20, 2013

There were loads of Mosquitos in the room and bathroom so a good nights rest was not had sadly
The rom was gloomy with an odd mural on the wall
Otherwise clean and shower worked well
Odd reference to rags for cleaning up

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
chase e, Manager at Mingo Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

This traveler had a beautiful room with new carpet and new paint. He stayed in room 8 and left the door opened for the mosquitos to come in. When he left he left the door open it took me 2 hours to kill the mosquitos he let in. He paid with tax $53.00 for the room. How can I control Mosquitos that he let in. Next time nick stay at your moms are stay in enterprise. Wanted wine with a beer budget.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Traveling through 3 states in 3 days on my two wheeled steed with day two coming into Wallowa OR. from a 2 hour stormy ride via the rattle snake [ 3d twistiest road in North America ]. My hopes that my booking at the Mingo Motel was the right choice. Was welcomed by the owner himself. He was expecting me [ albeit not in such a wet condition ]. First thing was to defrost. I was so pleased that the shower and yes bathroom was wonderfully inviting. A shower that was not only hot, but worked flawlessly. Finally after drying out I noticed my pleasant surroundings. Everything was clean, well kept and handcrafted! The bed, the table, the handcrafted wooden entertainment unit, handmade soaps especially made for the motel. WOW! All this in motel in a town of 700!

I had a chance to chat with Chase as I tended to my rain soaked steed. He was proud to share his story of rebuilding the Motel literally from the roof down! The Motel is a labour of love and one of substantial personal fiscal investment. To state that each square foot has been detailed with unique touches, is to see it for yourself. From the moment drive up and see hand painted saw blade [ specially painted for the Mingo ] to the peeking bear and the chainsaw carved sign, you begin to see all other details. From flawlessly painted doors, to suites filled with handcrafted log furniture dressed in Cabella bedding. Even the windows are etched and covered with real wood slats.

I can go on. In closing my stay at the Mingo and yes the small town of Wallowa was fabulous. Quaint lodging in a quaint town. A definite must stay for those carving the twisties all day. Don't forget pastries and great coffee at the Blonde Strawberry Coffee House right beside the Mingo. Equally as great [ yup same owner ] .

See you again!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. You won't be disappointed. Have a chat with Chase and he will happily share...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 177Andy
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This little motel is our new go-to place when we need to stay in the Joseph/Enterprise area. Just 17 miles from Joseph, it's close to all the fun, clean, quiet, and recently remodeled. The cinder block walls mean that there is no noise, while each room comes equipped w/ a microwave & mini-fridge.

How did it save our bacon? Well, my husband forgot to book a room over an event-filled weekend in Joseph. If you're familiar with the area, this means you're out of luck or stuck camping or forking out big big money. Enter the Mingo Motel!

Beside, driving out to Wallawa means you can stop at the Blue Banana in Lostine, get a great espresso, and snap a picture of your family in the namesake banana!

Note: we were lucky we brought our own shampoo because none was provided. I don't know if this is standard procedure or if someone just forgot.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AprilJ0Y
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Cute, very clean motel offers a good, quiet rest in the beautiful Wallowa valley. Nice sitting area out front. Conveniently located...short walk to grocery store and restaurant, but not right on the highway so nice and quiet. Great value, very welcoming. Recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank pdxwriter74
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay in April. Very quiet! Of course we were one of two people that were staying there. The office manager (maybe owner?) was incredibly nice and helpful. Great location. Walking distance to coffee and breakfast in the morning... A great place to stay if you are looking for clean, simple accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Tuesdayjane
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

We (our family) booked out the place (almost). I think one trucker managed to get a room too. Pleasantly surprised that a budget hotel was clean and well maintained - The fellow at the front desk ( Chance was his name ) was very friendly and offered his assistance whenever he saw us. "Need anything, just ask" he kept saying. The place smelled clean, looked clean, and everything in the room was in good repair. It has a rustic country cabin motif in terms of decoration. No dings in the paint no pealing wallpaper, no weird stains. Pride of ownership is evident. Even my European Mom would feel comfortable here.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Erwin_From_Canada

Been to Mingo Motel? Share your experiences!