“Poor customer service at the restaraunt”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Union
The Historic Union Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Union
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Food was late, and they made an unauthorized charge for damage to a table which we didn't do. Not a good place for kids, management seems to have a vendetta against families, I wouldn't recommend this place, other than the food was priced low. Didn't stay at the hotel but have to wonder if they wouldn't be just as bad to families staying with them. Otherwise our stay in Lagrande area was fine, it is a beautiful area, this was an anomaly.

Stayed: July 2008
There are newer reviews for The Historic Union Hotel

Reviewed April 8, 2008

I love historic hotels, and staying in the Union Hotel was the clear choice in the area.

Early April and it is still quite cold in Union, but walking into the lobby of the Union Hotel was an unexpected warm experience. They keep the entire hotel at about 78 degrees, so when I was walking around exploring the hotel, I was in my T-Shirt.

The Hotel is tastefully furnished with antiques, and everything is beautiful and amazing, built to last as everything was in the early 1900's. On one side of the lobby, there is a room where I assume they hold meetings where they have board games for the guests. On the other side there is a restaurant and bar (which the owners built themselves out of wood they found elsewhere in the building) that serves beer and wine. Unfortunately the bar closes at 8 pm so we didn't get a drink! We didn't eat at the restaurant for dinner because everything on the menu was meat-based and none of us are big meat-eaters. We did eat breakfast there which was an excellent value - We got buttermilk blueberry pancakes, buckwheat blueberry pancakes, omelets (create your own), home fries, and they serve delicious "Oregon's Best" Coffee, which is free if you are a guest. I got a cheddar, mushroom, and tomato omelet and it was probably the best omelet I've ever eaten!

My parents, my husband and I wanted a 2 bedroom room, chose the Mt. Emily room. It was tastefully furnished. My only problem with historic hotels is that the mattresses are often historic as well, and my back doesn't appreciate it. The bed my husband and I slept on in this room was not as bad as some, but it's pretty much time to get new mattresses. I had no complaints about plumbing or water temperature as another reviewer mentioned. I also had absolutely no problem with noise or getting woken up in the morning which is almost always a problem for me staying in motels/hotels.

I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. It must cost a lot for the owners to run it and I hope they do well! I am planning on staying there again during Sumpter Antique Fair.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank OrangeLudo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Union
Best Western Plus Rama Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in La Grande
Royal Motor Inn
Royal Motor Inn
#3 of 8 in La Grande

Been to The Historic Union Hotel? Share your experiences!