“Walking Fun!”

Hat Rock State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Umatilla
Reviewed April 2, 2012

It is a nice peaceful place with lots o ducks!! Very nice to walk or just have a family BBQ!!

Reviewed January 7, 2012

You cannot climb the rock (legally) but you can look and it has a good campground on the river and a store nearby.

Reviewed December 4, 2007

I have lived very near Hat Rock for 14 years, and it is one of the best kept secrets in Oregon. I don't actually live in the rock, but dwell in a home a block from the famous rock. I pay taxes on a lot and a half and for that I get access to all that is around me. There about 40 houses in the Hat Rock residential area on the edge of the Columbia River. To the north of me is the Columbia River, just full of fish and huntable ducks. To the west is an inlet of water from Lake Wallula which has a very fine public boat launch area and duck pond that is stocked with fish. A bit farther west is a fine 4 mile long walking trail that once was the rail bed for the materials that were moved from the main railroad to the Mc Nary dam. The rails are gone but the rail bed remains. It is perfectly level. It follows the river closely and the views are beautiful. I almost never see a pleasure boat on the lake, but sometimes I see the paddle wheel boat that gives cruises of the river. I walk as far down the railbed as my aging legs will carry me, and never get to the end. Remember that I have to walk back and the round trip is over eight miles. I let my dog run free, and only once have I met another person.
To the South of me is Hat Rock State Park and a cool spring where we draw our water from. The park is lush and green and is very seldom used. Like I said, it's a secret.
To the East of me is a private yacht club.
On the road into Hat Rock there is a nice campground with a swimming pool and a store. It is open year round. From the campground their are dirt roads and trails all over the place, and old lava flows abound. One would expect to see dinosaurs running about and one could imagine one lurking around a stand of lava, or up on Boat rock, which can be climed by going up a narrow trail up the East side. From on top of Boat Rock one can see the entire oasis that is Hat Rock. East of Boat Rock is BLM land and the riparian way is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers.
I am working in remote Alaska to earn enough money to pay off my mortgage so, God willing, I can live out my days in the most beautiful spot I have ever seen.
One of the favorite things to do for visitors is to drive down through the residential area and see the half million dollar homes that have been built. And you just might see me working in the yard. I retire in 2008.
Donald W. Timmons
Donwtimmons2000@yahoo.com

1  Thank SCRATCHIE

Been to Hat Rock State Park? Share your experiences!