“Comfort food on the Sandy River”

Tad's Chicken 'n Dumplins
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Troutdale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Gresham, Oregon
“Comfort food on the Sandy River”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Can you say: comfort food! You are talking about Tad's on the Sandy River. We have been enjoying the food and the river vista since college days in 1956. The service and the Chicken & Dumplings are famous and excellent.

California
“Beautiful location, food just ok.”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

After we left Shirley's Tippy Canoe, we went to Tad's. The first thing we noticed was the great location! We were given a table overlooking the river. Beautiful setting.
The server was friendly and helpful.
My husband ordered the chicken & dumplings (of course!) but said the chicken was overcooked; not moist. The dumplings were huge! He said there wasn't a lot of flavor in the dish. He ordered a salad as one of his sides, and it was average.
The meal also came with a veggie tray, which was nice.
I ordered soup as one of my sides and it was delicious. The bread that came with the soup and salad was also delicious.
I ordered the scallops sauteed with mushrooms. For some reason, I had pictures jumbo scallops, but these were the smaller ones. My mistake. They were swimming in a buttery cream sauce that didn't seem to blend well with the scallop flavor. The scallops were also overcooked.
My other side dish I ordered was a dumpling. I wanted to try it, too. Unfortunately, I wish I would've known how huge they are (should've read the reviews!) because I would've ordered something else and shared with my husband!
The meals also come with green beans, something we love. However, these are canned green beans, something we don't love! Disappointing. :(
Overall, the restaurant is in a great location with a really nice staff. They were great about filling up our water glasses and bringing things in a timely manner. The food was hit and miss. Not terrible, but not great...just ok.

1 Thank CAFamily
St. Louis, MO
“Enjoyed Tad's”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Enjoyed the ambiance and the view overlooking the Sandy River. Food and portions were good for the price. Service was fine. They do take reservations. Have been in business since the 1960's.

Portland, Oregon
“time machine”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Same menu, same decor as the 1950's. The food everything is homemade. Bread, salad dressings, relish plate, chicken and softball size dumplings, fried chicken, old fashion green beans with ham, blissful chicken gravy and mashed potatoes. All homemade. The best gravy, dumpling, stewed chicken and bread I ever ate. It lost a star, because of the wasps or hornet on the deck, sit inside in the air-conditioning, forego the view of the Sandy River. 6 hornet/wasps at a time at our table fought us for the chicken bones from the fried chicken. Maybe skip the fried chicken if you eat outside, They also have fish, shell fish, and beef dishes, prime rib on Saturday. Opens at 4pm, If you get there later you might want reservations. Service was good, but when my husband got stung by a wasp/hornet some sympathy, concern, ice, whatever from the server would have been nice.

Spokane, WA
“Chicken and Disappointment”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I read and read great things about Tad's Chicken 'n Dumplins, so we decided to have dinner there the other night. We were visiting from out-of-town, as were some of our relatives. Although the building is rustic, it's in a lovely setting right next to the Sandy River. We were able to get a table with a view. We started with drinks and were surprised at how small the glasses were; yet, the server assured us it had the same amount of alcohol as all other drinks. That's still open to debate! I'm sorry to say, the food was disappointing. It was good, but not great. After reading numerous other reviews, we had high expectations. The dumplings were good, but too big. They were the size of a baseball. My wife was disappointed in her scallops because they were tough to eat and the sauce didn't seem to go with the scallops. I love chicken livers and ordered them with a dumpling. Unfortunately, the livers were overly cooked, but edible. The other couple with us were equally disappointed with their orders; yet, they took the leftovers back to their RV.

Overall, the food was OK, but nothing exceptional. The prices are high but that's probably because you get a lot of food. It would make more sense to us to have smaller servings at a more reasonable price. We must comment on the great service that we received from the time we walked through the door until we left. The hostess gave us a great table. The waiter was exceptional and made himself available for anything that we needed.

• Visited August 2013