“Mediocre meal”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We just had chicken and the largest dumplings I have ever seen, served with canned green beans and lots of gravy. Wish the meal had more taste, but the river view was terrific.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

This is a local WWII restaurant that started out as a hotdog stand. The portions are very large. They serve Chicken and Dumplings and other food. I prefer their oysters. The dumplings are big enough to share.

We always wait for a window seat so that (in summer,) we ger that great river breeze when they open the windows. You can almost reach out and touch the river.

The downstairs is a good place to have a drink and relax next to the river while you wait for your table.

I believe you can make a reservation, but it is first come first served, you would just be bumped to the top of the waiting list with a reservation. It's a good idea to call though.

4  Thank MrsO_5
Reviewed April 25, 2010

As a life-long resident of the Portland Area, Tads use to be "go to" destination that my family really enjoyed. I had not been there for many years, so when I had a friend here from out of town, I thought it would be a unique place to take him.

Let me start with the good points: The service was very good and the atmosphere/view is wonderful.... It's unique location on the Sandy River is awesome!

Now for the let down. The Chicken and Dumplings were awful. The dumplings had NO FLAVOR. They tasted like flour and water. You can make a much better dumpling at home with Bisquick. They were nothing more than big, uncooked lumps of floury dough. The chicken was so-so. Still, not much flavor and not much quantity.

The veggie plate and salad come with dressing served in tacky paper cups. The green beans were from a can. And we each paid $14.50 per serving.

I can't speak for the other menu items, which there are several (steaks, burgers, etc). I have only had the Chicken and Dumplings.

1  Thank chris4644
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed December 25, 2008

Terrific Dumplins and views.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Tad's is on a beautiful stretch of road and has a gorgeous river view from the tables. It's a typical roadhouse styled place, but far from rowdy. We stopped because of the location and view. We live locally, and had never been in there before, so we thought we'd try it. The walls of the restaurant actually are big glass windows that fully open up to give one an open air dining experience. Very pretty. But the food is generally boring. Very bland like hospital food. It smells kind of old and musty in there. They seem to have an older class of people who eat there, as few people in there looked under 40 at the very youngest and most looked way over 60. Maybe this also explains the blandness of the food, since some elderly persons don't seem to tolerate spicy foods well. Maybe an elderly person might read this review and decide to go there. I hope they have a great time.

Tad's not a stuffy, snooty place, and that's something we liked about it. The portions are decent sized, but not that fun to eat, as they generally lack much flavor. We took the leftovers home, and I'll throw some seasonings in them tomorrow night and spice them up. The waitstaff was good. The food was a little pricey for the lack of flavor. There was some road noise since it's close to the street, and a few big rigs zoomed by, but this probably isn't a big problem when the walls are closed. It was worth the noise to get the open air view. We didn't try the desert, since we don't bother with deserts that aren't almost exclusively made of tons of chocolate, and all they had was some chocolate ice cream...boring. And some things made from berries or apples or something else non chocolate, so we didn't bother with desert or I would comment on that, too. I hope that whatever deserts they have have more flavor than the food did.