“Average stay at an average Motel 6”

Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were here for one night attending an event at Camp Angelos. I can typically find a 2-3* hotel on priceline or hotwire for the same price as rack rate at Motel 6 but occasionally when I can't (like this weekend), I'll stay in a budget motel like Motel 6.

Our experience here was comparable to the half-dozen Motel 6's I've stayed at over the last 20 years. Beds were a little too hard for my taste, towels a little too thin, housekeeping good but not thorough (found some mold above the shower faucet). I don't like the shower stalls at this property as the shower head is difficult to move so you can't really get out of the water while taking a shower. Reception was a mixed bag (our clerk was surly/noncommunicative but the other clerk was quite pleasant and helpful (which can also be said of the clerk we had on checkout...quite cheery). Because we had the A/C running all night, I didn't hear any of the freeway noise that others complained of (and we were on the freeway side of the hotel).

My fellow travelers all appeared to be budget travelers and not drug dealers or homeless people. Our room was adequate (no smell of smoke). We noticed on plugging in our electronics that the outlet locations were awkward and that many of the sockets were loos-ish.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steven S
m60407, Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

I am happy that we may not had been as bad as you may had expected but that you felt safe and the room was clean and most of the staff made you feel welcome. Thanks for staying with us. Come again.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We Wanted To Stay Near Edgefield For A Concert. This Was Close But The Nonsmoking Room Reeked Of Cigarettes.The Police Busted Into A Neighboring Room And Hauled Out 4 Suspects With Their Find Drawn.The Neighbors Were Loud.

• Stayed: August 2013
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

I am sorry that this guest had such a bad experience. We do try our best to keep our guests safe but when we do not know about the problem we are unable to fix it. Again we have staff on duty 24 hours to handle these type of issues. We have a great relationship with our police and they do make tours around the property to insure we are preventing this types of issues.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

went with a group and rented 2 rooms. Both non-smoking. Upstairs room smelled badly of cigarette smoke. One set of stairs blocked due to broken steps. 2nd set of stairs had cracked and badly cracked steps. In both rooms the smoke alarm was dangling by wires from ceiling.
Shower curtain too short and allowed signifcant water to pour onto floor creating a slipping hazard. Not enough towels to clean up mess and dry off. Management wanted to charge for extra towels to dry floor. Shower also drained VERY slowly.
All of the above issues were communicated to housekeeping staff, then front desk, then website contact. Nothing was done to remedy or address any of the concerns.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank glittergirl2013
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

I am sorry that this party had such a bad expierience at our facility. We do our best at putting non-smokers in non smoking rooms. What is sad is that we advise all guests what type of room they are getting but not all are respectful enough to not smoke in a non smoking room. When we clean we use a ozone machine for the air in the room but it does not help remove all the smoke smell from all the fabric in the room. When the smokers smoke in the room the mess with the smoke detector and cause them to fall off the bracket it is mounted on. As for the stairs we block off the stairs to prevent anyone from being hurt. At this time we had ordered 30 new steps but they have not arrived as of yet. Again I am sorry that they had such a bad expierence.

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The clerk rented a room to us without informing us that the a/c was out. The room was wicked hot. She wanted us to wait around in that hot, dirty room for someone to come "fix" a/c and then reluctantly refunded us. Also, front of motel is right on the Interstate..that would be ok but back of motel has trains roaring by, so no escape from noise. Also, neighborhood appears very sketchy.

• Stayed: October 2012
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

I am sorry that you had a bad experience during your stay. I just want to say that if my staff is not helpful, please just let the manager know before you leave so we can resolve this problem.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The problem with this motel is that it is scary. There appear to be several rooms that are inhabited permanently, so there are people everywhere. We saw people BBQing in the parking lot. There is a strong cigarette odor and there were many people in doorways and along the balconies smoking cigarettes and at least one other substance could be smelled in the air. My daughter cut her foot inside the room in the morning and I admit to looking to see if she cut it on a needle... it was a nail that was coming out from the bottom of the bed frame.

The AC was NOT on, the HEAT was on and despite the fact that we had the thermostat set to cool the room off, it was in fact doing the opposite. This was confirmed by the woman at the checkout counter in the morning. She did inform us that we could have called down for a fan. Sleep quality was poor because the room was so warm.

The room appeared to be clean enough, and the beds were comfortable enough but I would not stay here again. Even though the price was low, the cons outweigh that for me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expections during your stay. With the rate being as low as it is it does draw the displaced person for temp lodging. If you are worried about something I do have staff availible 24 hours and I do hope that if they are called that they respond promptly and correct the problem. Again I am sorry that you had issues during your stay.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a decent well maintained property that provides basic, clean accomodation. However the busy interstate highway is in front and a busy railway runs just behind. We left the room fan on high and slept OK. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and helpful except for not being able to provide a quiet room (there aren't any)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the trains or freeway but we do try or best to provide a freindly staff and a clean and comfortable room. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

The first thing that came to my mind after reading other people review is: How can you complain this hotel is noisy when you see for yourself that it faces directly the freeway? You already know it’s gonna be noisy all night when you see where it is located! On the other hand the first thing I have to say after sleeping there is: well OK, it is actually a worn and somewhat gloomy place but you get what you pay for. What do you expect with 50 bucks per night?
It is also true that, even if premises are worn and old, management should at least instruct staff to be a little more cheerful and warm and not look bored all the time even when they talk to you.
We stopped by on our way south because we didn’t know where else to go and we didn’t want to spend much for just a brief one night stay. When we arrived in the parking lot there were some people having a barbeque with a makeshift fire right in the middle of the parking lot and besides some cars. Now I wonder is that safe? I considered it rather folkloristic and dismissed the idea with a smile then I walked in the reception. A very bored girl that spoke like a recorded message played over a thousand times explained us what she had left in terms of rooms and gave us our keys. She didn’t even say good evening and/or goodbye, I thought she had already said it a hundred times that day and must have been tired of it. She was anyway so kind as to find an accommodation as far as possible from the freeway as we had requested.
Our room was in the back, so it was not directly facing the freeway. It was a bit noisy but not that much. The stairway leading to the upper floor and the outside walls were stained but clean, there was no dirt scattered about. Our room faced the swimming pool area so it was not so dull.
Inside anyway it looked rather basic. My friend was worried they hadn’t changed the bed-linen as it actually looked like someone else had just stepped-out of it. I calmed her down saying they probably had just not ironed it or pressed it. It looked clean anyway.
Bathroom was old, small but clean and was not smelly.
We didn’t meet strange people wandering around as I have read in other reviews, overall it was full of other travelers like us, normal people indeed.
My overall experience is neutral. I honestly was not expecting better nor worse. This is a type of basic accommodation offering cheap prices for very basic rooms. You get what you pay for and actually for 50 dollars/night the place is more than acceptable.
Just my personal message to the management: I understand that due to budget constraints it is not always possible to restyle a motel and make it look like a castle…but sometimes a smile and a warm welcome can work miracles.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alek77
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

I thank you for your helpful insights and I will be happy to address the issue with my staff. I thank you for taking the time to let me know and hope to see you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Quality Inn Gresham
Camas Hotel
Camas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Camas
Travelodge East Portland/Gresham

Been to Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale? Share your experiences!