“If you pay 50USD for a room you can't expect 5 stars services.”

Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The first thing that came to my mind after reading other people review is: How can you complain this hotel is noisy when you see for yourself that it faces directly the freeway? You already know it’s gonna be noisy all night when you see where it is located! On the other hand the first thing I have to say after sleeping there is: well OK, it is actually a worn and somewhat gloomy place but you get what you pay for. What do you expect with 50 bucks per night?
It is also true that, even if premises are worn and old, management should at least instruct staff to be a little more cheerful and warm and not look bored all the time even when they talk to you.
We stopped by on our way south because we didn’t know where else to go and we didn’t want to spend much for just a brief one night stay. When we arrived in the parking lot there were some people having a barbeque with a makeshift fire right in the middle of the parking lot and besides some cars. Now I wonder is that safe? I considered it rather folkloristic and dismissed the idea with a smile then I walked in the reception. A very bored girl that spoke like a recorded message played over a thousand times explained us what she had left in terms of rooms and gave us our keys. She didn’t even say good evening and/or goodbye, I thought she had already said it a hundred times that day and must have been tired of it. She was anyway so kind as to find an accommodation as far as possible from the freeway as we had requested.
Our room was in the back, so it was not directly facing the freeway. It was a bit noisy but not that much. The stairway leading to the upper floor and the outside walls were stained but clean, there was no dirt scattered about. Our room faced the swimming pool area so it was not so dull.
Inside anyway it looked rather basic. My friend was worried they hadn’t changed the bed-linen as it actually looked like someone else had just stepped-out of it. I calmed her down saying they probably had just not ironed it or pressed it. It looked clean anyway.
Bathroom was old, small but clean and was not smelly.
We didn’t meet strange people wandering around as I have read in other reviews, overall it was full of other travelers like us, normal people indeed.
My overall experience is neutral. I honestly was not expecting better nor worse. This is a type of basic accommodation offering cheap prices for very basic rooms. You get what you pay for and actually for 50 dollars/night the place is more than acceptable.
Just my personal message to the management: I understand that due to budget constraints it is not always possible to restyle a motel and make it look like a castle…but sometimes a smile and a warm welcome can work miracles.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alek77
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

I thank you for your helpful insights and I will be happy to address the issue with my staff. I thank you for taking the time to let me know and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I checked in for a two night stay and was very pleased.The young lady at the check in counter Alicia,was very busy and had a long line of guests checking in but even though she was so busy she greeted everyone walking through the door and made me feel like it was worth the wait and she would be right with us.We got to our room and noticed the blankets weren't on the beds so we called her and she said she had a lobby full of people and was not able to leave the office as she was the only one behind the desk but said give her about a half hour and she would lock up the office and run back and grab the blankets.She went out of her way to make us feel important. And I couldn't stop ranting about how accommodating she was to my Mother when she picked me from the airport..Cons: way to many barking dogs.wifi was not free and also you could tell that there is actual tenants that live there for long periods of time which gives off a very dirty first impression.

• Stayed: July 2012
m60407, Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you for lets us know how well you were treated by the staff (Alicia) and I will pass this on. I am sorry for the impression that you got with the guests that we have. Unfortunately with our rates being so low compared to all the other Hotels/Motels in the area we do get a number of displaced persons staying with us. Motel 6 has been pet friendly since we started and we do try to get our guests to keep the pets under control and asked to clean up after them, Thank you again for bring these thing to my attention and hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

we had a mix up on our reservations, We arrived Sunday, our reservation was for Saturday.
Rather than charge us for Saturday & Sunday the lady behind the desk did something on the computer and before ,I could plead my case, or say anything, She didn't charge me for Saturday and checked us into room away from the road noise, at the internet rate. Did I mention this was a motel 6.

Room Tip: see if you can get a room away from the highway
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jack m
m60407, Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

I want to thank you are this response. We try our very best to provide a clean, comfortable and safe room. I hope to be there for you when you come back in the future.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

First the +s are a great location (right at the start of the Historic 30 drive past the waterfalls, etc), the price at $40 + tax, staff nice, lots of TV stations, lighting was good, and it had a firm bed at least in my room. The -s are definitely some road noise (5 on a scale from 1 to 10), the typical Motel 6 TV set from 15 years ago, the parking was just okay.

Room Tip: Might want to get a room in the middle of the complex since the place is bracketed by busy I-84 on t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank tfberry
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

I am happy to see another guest that had a good experience at our location. Sorry about the noise but not much we can do to stop the train or traffic but we try to put you somewhere a little less noisey.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Not all parties that Kyle has encountered have been quite as friendly as the folks at Camp 18. I am going to tell you about our problems at Motel 6 in Troutdale and then ask for your help. When our Hero arrived there after 75 miles on the road he was going to be treated to an overnight stay to clean up by a local veteran. I had called ahead to make the financial arrangements as I often do when we help families with a soldier in the hospital, etc. We had gotten the confirmation that everything was a go and I gave that number to Kyle. However, when he showed up at Motel 6, the manager told him it was against their policy to accept a third party reservation without my having faxed in a copy of our Visa debit card number and a signature. When Kyle tried to explain what was going on, she became rude and he ended up leaving so that he wouldn’t say something he regretted due to his exhaustion and physical condition.

I called the woman when I found out what happened and told her that Kyle should have been given a chair and a glass of ice water while they worked out the problem. Instead, he had to backtrack ½ mile to Comfort Suites, where they went overboard to offer hospitality – providing him with a suite at steep discount and telling him about breakfast and other food options.

I told the manager at Motel 6 that military families make up only 1 percent of the nation’s population and we, as well as our supporters, take it very seriously when one of our own is mistreatment and she should have gone the extra mile to remedy the situation. With that said, I am going to send you the contact information for Motel 6, as well as the contact information for Comfort Suites and Camp 18. I would really appreciate it if everyone took a moment to let Motel 6 know what they think about this treatment of a soldier and thank the other two businesses for their great care of our Hero. It is important that Motel 6 learn to handle things differently if this situation arises again and that the Comfort Suites and Camp 18 know that we appreciate their efforts for our Hometown Hero.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mark F

First thing is that we are very sorry that there was a miscommunication between the person making the reservation and the Reservation Center. I just want to let everyone that many of us here in Troutdale have many love ones that are in the military and we have the highest respect for all that have or are putting their lives on the line for our freedom. We now know that the caller wanted to do a Third Party Reservation in order to pay for Kyle's room. The information that was given to the GSR on duty was the bare minimum of information that did not say that it was to be Third Party Reservation. When Kyle got there and was advised that the reservation was not paid for we did not have the opportunity to try to correct the problem before he left. I again am sorry that we did not have that opportunity. We have sent Kyle an apology letter and compensated a few nights for in the future. We are truly sorry for the way that all that have heard about this got the wrong impression that we did care because that is far from the truth. Again, we are truly sorry for this incident.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

The drive from the stoplight should have been a clue. It was full of chuckholes and nearly bottomed out in places. Staff was spooky, room was filthy with hair all over the bathroom. And the noises -- sounded like construction, banging and thumping all hours of the night. Miss this place at all costs. Not worth the hassle and fear of disease!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
m60407, General Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

I am truely sorry that you had such a bad expierence at our location. We work hard at making things right with our guests and if there is something that you had a problem we ask for you to let us know. I am sorry again that I did not get the chance to make it right with you. On the driveway I have been trying to stay up on it but for the last three months the ODOT has been working on the off ramps and they have been using the driveway and lot next door for the large equipment and accessing the ramp area. We are trying to get it fixed again and hope that it will happen soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Motel 6 Troutdale is a nice place to stay. The price was right. The staff were friendly and The room was clean. If I had to say something negative, it would be the freeway noise, but what are you going to do? Thank you Motel 6 for leaving the light on for us!

Room Tip: Call the Motel ahead of time. Tell the staff your expectations and let the chips fall where they ma...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
m60407, Manager at Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

I thank you for your thoughts and opinions. Look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Quality Inn Gresham
Camas Hotel
Camas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Camas
Travelodge East Portland/Gresham

Been to Motel 6 Portland East - Troutdale? Share your experiences!