“Always Great!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Seattle
“Always Great!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've been staying at this property since it was a Holiday Inn Express back in the late 90's...I would give it 10 stars if it were an option.

My visits from Gig Harbor, Wa. are always for business and the Troutdale location makes it a good home base for doing business in the greater Portland area.

Stay here...you wont regret it. Quiet rooms, great staff, clean, and a good breakfast selection.

Room Tip: Top floor is always best in case you get a noisy family or "thumpers" above...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I posted the missing five stars on our bulletin board, Tim. : )

I appreciate your recommendation that we're a good home base for doing business in Portland -we tend to be associated more with the Gorge than the Portland area, but that 17 miles between here and downtown Portland (with the whole east side between) is easily manageable from our location, and you get to end the day with soup and cookies and quiet : ).

I'm very glad your times with us have been as good as we intend them to be. Thank you for making the time to write - it's greatly valued, Tim (almost as much as your business over the many years), and we'll see you again soon!

Loree

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was the friendliest, most sincere welcome I've ever had upon entering a hotel. Loree was extremely helpful with info and maps for the spots to see along the Gorge and recommending a great walk nearby along the river for the pup. Later, Rian steered me to a fantastic Lebanese restaurant in Portland. It was like he knew exactly what I was looking for.

The room was totally clean and comfortable with all the trimmings at a wonderfully reasonable price. Internet was good. I can't think of a single thing that might have been improved upon. They were having some exterior work done, but were extremely considerate about limiting noise or nuisance. It seemed as though consideration for the guests was utmost at this location. What a delightful change from the average experience.

I highly recommend a stop here if you're in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
(Think I mentioned it before but) It's easy to be friendly and welcoming with someone who is friendly and willing to be welcomed : ). You were a delight.

There's always a little breath-holding that happens when renovations are going on - the construction company has been stellar about keeping us in the loop well enough that we haven't had one miss on room assignments (knock wood). Thank you for noting that - we've worked very hard to make sure our guests aren't discomfited, so it's good to know we're hitting that mark.

I'll have to get Rian to point me towards that Lebanese restaurant! - glad you got him for that conversation because I would have stared blankly and then hit Google. Good that we have him out expanding horizons for us.

Thank you for making the time to review, Gus, we look very much forward to having you and the pup back next time through.

Bellevue
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We did a last minute booking and could get a King size bedroom under $100. The room was neat with all facilities that we would expect. It is around 10miles from Multnomah falls and 5 from Vista house. Opposite there is an decent sized outlet mall.

Had a free breakfast and it was pretty good. Great experience all together.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
It does make us so very happy when we get all thirty of those pretty green dots : ). Thank you for making the time to write, Aneesh, and I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We're in such a spectacular environment between the Gorge and the Sandy River and the Historic Highway, that we want to make sure we're holding up our end and giving you a good place to rest at the end of the day.

Enjoy summer (it's coming, I promise), and we hope to see you and the family back in the house soon.

Sammamish, WA
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I prefer Just-A-Bed motels. When I travel, the motel is NEVER the destination, so having to pay via my rate for things like gyms, spas, indoor swimming pools or worse yet, water parks makes me cringe. I just want a place where I can get a decent night's sleep to fuel my adventure.

So when I find an AWESOME Just-a-Bed place, I feel like I've won the lottery. And Comfort Inn Troutdale is that. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable. The showers are hot and good pressure. The fridge/micro works, the TV is pretty good. The ice is convenient. The people are nice and helpful. Even with it's good location near freeway access and a cute little airport, the rooms are quiet. Restaurants aren't super close (except for the Dairy Queen that appears to be going in next door), but a 5 minute drive (with lights) across the freeway isn't too bad. Quaint little downtown Troutdale is only about 8 minutes away if you want better food.

Oh, and it's PET Friendly. To me pet friendly means low pet fee and CLEAN pet rooms, the feeling that the hotel allots more than 2 rooms for pet people. Comfort Inn Troutdale went the extra mile over this. They gave us a doggie bag as we entered with treats and information about where pooches can go....(to the common areas in the hotel except the breakfast and/or eating or vending spaces. Probably not allowed in the pool either). A bonus that they also described is a park about an eighth of a mile away from the hotel where doggies can run and swim. Unfortunately our canine companion was too elderly to enjoy that. But it was nice that they mentioned it.

The only thing that was a little average was the breakfast. They did have hot food at least, sausage and eggs, waffles you can make, a toaster, plus cereal and some baked goods. It was good, just nothing to write home or Trip Advisor about ;-).

Oh and the pool is just a dipping pool, about 8x8 or 10x10, I'm guessing. Only Lilliputians could swim in it. But I was GLAD, since I don't use motel pools anyway. It just made me laugh every time I looked at it. I wondered why they bother....I guess for those who want to kill time tanning, and need a place to cool off. And that's also a thoughtful gesture....

Will stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Teresa A
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
: ) You rocketed straight into my top ten favorite reviews, Teresa - while I've never thought of us as a Just-A-Bed hotel, it seems like an affectionate term the way you present it, so I'll take it... particularly since you threw in AWESOME. : ))

Yes, Dairy Queen is loading equipment in now, and should be open next month (yay Peanut Buster Parfaits!) (errr... I mean plain hamburger patties and a salad).

Thank you for pointing out that we treat our 15 pet rooms with the same care as our 62 non-pet rooms - as one who travels with dog(s), I hate paying extra to be in a room that missed the last two renovations because it's a designated pet room. When we do have (rare) damage to a room because of a canine guest, we take the room out of service until it's right again for both humans and pups.

Please feel welcome to message with me with what would make breakfast better for you - we already have additional items not required by the brand (biscuits & gravy, extra bread and yogurt selections, cheese to make breakfast sandwiches with, Stash teas), but are always open to adding something that will upgrade us from average to wow.

The "pool" is actually a spa, so, yes, not much room for swimming in there (assuming your constitution would put up with you swimming in 104 degrees) and lousy for cooling off, but glad it made you laugh. : )

Thank you again for taking the time and care to write, and for the smile this morning, Teresa. It's appreciated and we'll see you next time through!

Oregon, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had driven all day. When we got to the hotel we were met with a wonderful smile. The lovely lady let us know there was soup and cookies. Then she printed out directions to the McMenamins where we were headed to meet some friends. The hotel was very peaceful. Walking distance to the outlet mall. Top that all off with a fabulous breakfast and it was very fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Mindy's smile lights up the room, doesn't it? Most glad we were a respite for you at the end of a long day and a good start to the next... and we are always delighted to direct guests to our friends at Edgefield - I hope you got a chance to walk through the gardens, they've done a beautiful job with the land there.

Hope to see you the next time you're through this way, and thank you for the good words!

Granbury
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Second time here and they have a good breakfast as well. good beds and slept well. If you want a quiet room get it on top floor and on the back side the front is good to i have been on both sides. The airport might scare you but they dont make a lot of noise at night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Slept and fed well would be the plan, Gary - glad you found it so. Thank you for mentioning the elephant in the room - the airport does make some nervous (and delight some - we get a good number of requests to be on the airport side to watch the small planes), but complaints about noise are few and far between, and I've only had two specific to the airport in eight years. Good exterior walls :).

We look forward to seeing you again your next time through, and thank you kindly for making the time to write.

Best,
Seattle
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is not impressive as you drive up. A rectangle, 3 floors, looks like a million others. But inside all is updated. Latest furniture, bedding, carpet. Fridge, micro, ample plug-ins for electronics. Good lamps and pillows. Guest computer in lobby. Free breakfast is above average too. AND in late afternoons soup and cookies served. 1:00 PM ckout which is unheard of. Not one but two daily newspapers. Pleasant desk folks too. So much better than other medium priced places we've stayed. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
You made my morning by mentioning the plug-ins... we had a terrible situation in the room with available outlets until the renovation. I thought the fix of outlets on the lamp bases was brilliant, and significantly more elegant than stringing orange extension cords all over the room : ).

I love our 1:00 checkout - most guests can't take advantage of it, but it's sure nice to be able to sleep in, and to not have to wolf down breakfast and pack to get out by 11:00 when you have the freedom of day to linger.

Thank you for staying with us, and for making the time to write. We hope to see you back next time you're south!

Best,
Loree
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Best Western Plus Cascade Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Parkersville Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Portland East
Hampton Inn Portland East
#15 of 140 in Portland

Been to Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway? Share your experiences!