“Nice Wedding Spot”

McMenamins Edgefield
Death Valley National Park, California
“Nice Wedding Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

We booked a year in advance, and got the Administrator's House for our wedding party's accommodations. What a find! We were able to set up our snacks and drinks in the kitchen and have family visit in the living/dining area. The wedding was booked in the Ballroom, and was very private as compared with other wedding locations that weekend. The only complaint we had was the noise levels outside at night, as the brewpub is very popular not only with hotel guests but also with the locals. We did not get much sleep.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

This hotel/resort is truly unique. We stayed here for two nights in June and loved it. Lots of ambiance, old building with some interesting art and stories to go with it, good restaurants, so-so 20 hole golf course good for beginners, relaxing spa, beautiful green grounds, and a very clean and warm lagoon-style pool. We like it so much we did everything here instead of going to Portland. It's a bit casual and has that summer-camp or collegiate feel. The bathrooms were shared, but immaculate. Very quiet, all we heard at night were crickets and occasionally kids in the hallways. The rooms, although big, aren't suitable for staying in and lounging around in pajamas all day. There was no air conditioning and it was very warm one of the nights. I would be wary of the season. When you're here you want to see the grounds, walk the gardens, swim, drink beer, and run on the nature trails. I recommend this if you're looking for a fun, inexpensive, outdoorsy, and romantic place to stay near Portland.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I was looking forward to staying at one of the Mcmenamins' properties. They look so unusual and interesting. I do agree that the property is distinct and they offer quite a variety of services - spa, 2 restaurants, several bars, gardens, brewery, winery, shops, etc., etc., However, I was disappointed.

The rooms are very unusual with all the artistic trim and the entire hotel is decorated such.

I would probably stay again or at another property but with conditions.

We arrived to find a large event happening which made for a confusing entrance and less than relaxing check-in since there were so many people around. I swear they gave us the smallest and worst room in the hotel on the ground floor next to a main entrance. I was worried I would not be able to sleep with the amount of traffic going in and out of that entrance (on the way to the soaking pool) but since they restrict the outdoor areas after 10PM it was pretty quiet. The room was too hot however, and with the public access I did not feel comfortable opening the drapes or window enough to cool it down.

I usually will go and request a better room, but with the crowd thought that the place was full. Not sure since I did not say anything.

I did not mind the community bathrooms, but every time I used one there was paper on the floors. And the shower head kept slipping on the bar.

I found the service lacking also. Did not feel anyone there was too friendly. The front desk person at check-in appeared annoyed at our arrival. Dinner was good food but poor service, probably because our waiter seemed overwhelmed and tired.

The next morning, after all the event goers left, was very nice with good service and food.

Next time I will check event schedules and be more specific about where my room is located.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

The Edgefield is Portlands best kept secret. For around $80 you can get a room that is seriously quirky. Thats better than anything downtown or near the airport for certain. At the Edgefield, you won't get 80 channels of cabel because they don't have TV's. You can't call room service because there are no phones. What you will get though is a fun, festive, adventurous weekend. In fact, just follow the history of the property that is literally painted on the walls. This is a run down of what they have to offer, although check the schedule because it changes on weekdays. It's an entirely different party palace on the weekends.

Distillery, Winery, Brewery, Movie Theater, Spa, out door heated saltwater soaking pool, golf, gift shop, live music here and there on the estate- big shows in the summer, gardens galore!!!! There are like 8 little bars to wonder to and fro.... 2 big restaurants, I think 5 bars that serve food and you can get pizza or calzones in your room. They even grow most of their own produce in the summer.

We LOVE the Edgefield. The brothers McMenamins did it right. We've visited and stayed 6 times and can't wait for the next.!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
South Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

Grounds were not well kept and I was very disappointed to have planned for an entire day there when the entire thing coud be seen in less than a couple of hours.

Hotel was noisy at night and I felt like I was staying at a youth hostel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Georgia_Girl069
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

I stayed here with my mom and we both loved it. We stayed in a room that had a sink in it and had a wonderful painting with a story of the former occupant (during its days as a poor farm) of the room painted on the wall. The room was nice except there were no fans and it was quite a hot night. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and I only wish we would have stayed longer to really enjoy everything it has to offer - multiple bars/restaurants, pool and spa, golf, winery, movies, music, etc. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2008
oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I won't belabor some obvious points that have been well and thoroughly discussed by other reviewers.
Edgefield is a great place to visit. Go and play golf, have a beer and a burger, wander around, get a spa treatment and soak in the hot tub.
Just don't spend the night expecting to sleep in a clean, comfortable room. You won't sleep and room won't have been dusted in a long while and the bed won't be comfortable.
I know that Edgefield is bascially a big, glorified bar, but if you are going to charge people to spend the night, you need to do something to minimize the noise. At the very least actively evict drunken revelers who congrate on and around the porches, the main entrance and the exits and entrances to the bar in the hotel basement, which is where all the 20-something college crowd action is.
Another suggestion, since the hotel guest have to share bathrooms, make those bathrooms accessible only with room keys. As it is, anyone can use the hotel guest bathrooms.
I'm going to click "No" for the recommendation, but only because I'd recommend a nice long daytime visit, but not an overnight visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank damac13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Hampton Inn Portland East
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
#1 of 139 in Portland
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,662 reviews

Been to McMenamins Edgefield? Share your experiences!