“My favorite place”

McMenamins Edgefield
New Westminster, Canada
“My favorite place”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I discovered the McMenamins chain by accident when nothing else was available. I have been in love ever since. The Edgefield is definitely the best with a brewery, winery and distillery on site (all with tours now and tastings). 13 or more different places to get a drink or food. The soaking pool is the best place I have been in -not too hot or too cold so you can sit for hours. With the Tea House bar right there, you really don't need to leave all day. A tip: the Tea House usually has a unique beer that isn't served anywhere else on the property.

People I tell about the place tend to be nervous about the shared (European style) bathrooms. The women's ones all have their own little bathroom, not at all like a locker room. I did hear that the men's ones on the 3rd floor are more locker room style but still some privacy. Stay on the first or second floor if it is a problem (co-ed on 2nd floor). For the amazing price, I don't mind having to walk a bit down the hall. I would at home anyway.

We actually held our wedding at the Edgefield in the Attic. Beautiful and reasonably priced venue. The only problem was the service staff. Rude and not very helpful (yes, I have submitted a complaint to the manager). I have been there many times now and the service is up and down.

Room Tip: 2nd floor on the east side has better bathrooms. 3rd floor east side has some rooms with sinks in th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Reviewed July 4, 2014

This place was recommended by a friend and we loved it! Yes, there wasn't a bathroom in the room but the art, ambience, and overall feeling of the place made up for it. The rooms were comfortable and there was a fan to keep air moving. The wine, beer and spirits were wonderful. My husband and I walked around in the evening and there were fires lit in the fireplaces, little white lights in the trees and the feeling of magic in the air. I highly recommend this place if you love history and enjoy something unique.

• Stayed July 2014
Owen C, Manager at McMenamins Edgefield, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for reviewing us and giving others such a beautiful and poetic synopsis of the Edgefield.
Edgefield
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This place is pretty good for just hanging out and indulging yourself. There are multiple bar/restaurants scattered around the property with different themes, from pool hall to Grateful Dead fan club to pub food. The beer, wine, cognac, brandy, whiskey that they produce on site is all excellent and worth trying. The property is located near some excellent hiking trails in the National Forest system to the east along the Columbia Gorge; if you've never seen temperate rainforest before, you really should. The staff are invariably good-natured and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, there's less traffic.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

We needed a place close to the airport for an early flight. After staying at McMenamins Crystal Hotel in downtown Portland, we knew that Edgefield would be another great experience. Huge room, superb food, free live music and a great, funky outdoor spa pool! Don't stay anywhere else. Love, love!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Shelley S
Shepshed, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Could not be sure if we were just too old (early forties) or just too fuddy duddy for this place. Our room was big and uniquely decorated but the couch and bed were dreadfully uncomfortable (unsuitable for sleeping). There was a standard window fan (no AC but that is to be expected as it is a historic building). The lack of screens made me a little uncomfortable as there were bats flying around so I closed the windows at night which made it stuffy. The bathrooms are shared and only located in the back corners which seemed a very long walk from our room at the front. I complained at check-out about the bed but got no response; however, when I complained via e-mail when I returned home, I was offered a full refund so I cannot fault that. We arrived on a Sunday and it was heaving with drinkers (it is foremost a brewery) and we had difficulty finding anything appealing in the food options available and the wait times were long so we went off site. A highlight was the undulating hot pool at the onsite Ruby's Spa which is open to residents; in the morning, there were only a couple other guests there and because of its shape, it is possible to have the privacy of a smaller place (bathrobes are provided for the walk to the spa).

Room Tip: You may wish to give an idea of how close or far you may wish to be from the shared bathrooms (too c...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Owen C, Manager at McMenamins Edgefield, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry about the bed. I did contact you by email; yes we are aware of that room and although that's a new mattress we believe it must have been defective and it has been replaced. Our apologies, we hope to see you again. I'm thankful you enjoyed the rest of the facility. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the Edgefield if you have further questions.
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is the old Oregon-area housing for the indigent, so the updated rooms are not fancy. But the restaurants, bar, grounds, and artwork are worth the stay. The price is rather high, but you'll likely find your stay an interesting memory. Take an evening walk around the flower and vegetable gardens, smile at all the bunnies you'll witness, and relax with a good meal and drink.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with private bath, and if feasible stay in a corner room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed June 4, 2014

As we have enjoyed McMenamins properties in the past, we decided to stay at Edgefield for one night at the end of our Oregon/Washington vacation. This was to be the highlight of our trip, "it's the best", we heard more than once, but it wasn't, our room was a huge disappointment.
Edgefield was impressive in other ways, we really enjoyed the wine tasting room with Julia the wine hostess, she was very pleasant and personable and a master at her job. We liked the soaking pool although we though we might have smelled chlorine in the water, it's been salt water at other McMenamins with soaking pools. We went to the Black Rabbit Restaurant for dinner, (we asked for a booth and were told they were all taken so we were seated at a table surrounded by at least 6 empty booths....) The salmon we had for dinner at the was absolutely the best ever, truly amazing, the cucumbers were scrumptious and different, the wine list was immense. Enjoying this so far, we thought.
The room, however, left us vowing to never come back. We are used to the bathrooms down the hall, we have no problem with that but on our floor at Edgefield, there were just two women's shower/toilet stalls for about 18 guest rooms, the Ladies Lounge was busy. Our room was big and spacious, but unlike the other four McMenamins we have stayed in, our room did not have a sink. There were two glasses in the room for water, but no sink and no water, it was back to the bathroom to fill the glass, there was an empty plastic ice bucket in the room but there was no ice machine, the bartenders are the source for ice and only when the bars are open. Our room did not have any sort of cooling/air conditioner and the only way to get cool air was to open a window which let in outside noise and bugs. And, like the other properties, there were no hair dryers in the rooms or in the bathroom, had to borrow one from the front desk. The worst part of this room was the bed, it was OLD, soft and very saggy, easily the WORST bed I have ever attempted to sleep in at any hotel ever, it was BAD. It was lumpy, creaky, we heard a spring pop as we laid there attempting to sleep, our back aches getting feeling worse by the minute. The sheets were not fitted and were too small, they came loose at the first turn, we stuck to them because of the heat. The bed was so uncomfortable and the room so hot, I ended up sleeping on the floor with just a blanket, my husband tossed and turned all night, we were miserable and exhausted the next day.
At check out, we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay, if everything was ok, or if there were any problems, the clerk quietly and quickly took our money and that was that. I figured if she wasn't interested in our experience, then I would write about it here. Edgefield rooms are just bigger than other McMenamins, other wise they are more bare bones, they have fewer features instead of more and are definitely not worth the price.
My advise is to go to Edgefield and enjoy the wine tasting, the restaurant, check out the art, the grounds, the history and the building, then stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank analise
Owen C, Manager at McMenamins Edgefield, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and our beautiful grounds. I'm so sorry your bed was uncomfortable. I've already emailed you personally regarding the bed. That bed is actually brand new, replaced in the last 6 months and so am not sure why it was uncomfortable. We'll definitely be looking into it as perhaps our vendor sent us a faulty new bed. We definitely don't want our guests to sleep on the floor. Due to the historical nature of our building we don't have sinks in all of our rooms, but do in some, guests who stay relatively often will request a room with a sink and so we certainly do what we can to make that happen.
Thanks again, I look forward to your response.
McMenamins Edgefield
503.669.8610
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Hampton Inn Portland East
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
#1 of 140 in Portland
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,676 reviews

Been to McMenamins Edgefield? Share your experiences!