“Great Stay”

McMenamins Edgefield
seattle
“Great Stay”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was the first night stay of our 4 day road trip. We easily could have stayed two nights here! Wonderful destination for a get away! They grow all their own organic veggies so the food is delicious....and great brunches!
They brew their own beer, make their own wine and have a distillery all on premise so the entire premise is filled with great, quaint authentic little secret pubs and drinking holes. Theres a cigar room overlooking the garden, theater, outdoor concert area with fire pit and a spa! Also, open to hotel guests, is a fantastic, 102 degree, salt water soaking pool complete with little islands.
Great for a night...but two would be better!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I took my husband out to the Black Rabbit Restaurant at McMenamins Edgefield for his birthday. This is the last time I will go to a McMenamins. For a couple of years now, I have steered clear of these over priced and over-rated "chains" unless invited to a group event. Tonight's experience has finally convinced me to never return under ANY circumstances! Expecting at least an average experience, I have never been more disappointed. We ordered a decent bottle of wine...a Spanish Rioja...at a cost of $56. The wine was good; but it was served in small white wine glasses (I asked if they had red wine glasses and they said no) and our server was unable to uncork the bottle. I had asked about wine recommendations earlier and neither our server or the "manager" knew anything about wines! This from a restaurant with bottles on their wine list for $170!!! I ordered pork"medallions" which turned out to be over cooked, thin pork chops (boneless) and very, very salty. I find it difficult to imagine that anyone can ruin a Yukon gold potato, but in this case, it's true. Honestly, I could go on and on, but I won't waste anymore of my time or yours. Fortunately, I will have to make this up to my wonderful husband! We'll also find another place for a birthday dinner celebration.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank BirdieBaker
Shannon M, General Manager at McMenamins Edgefield, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review McMenamins Edgefield. We take your comments very seriously and are very sorry that your experience was less than enjoyable. The appropriate managers have been followed up with and we well be addressing your concerns on wine education and food quality. What you experienced was unacceptable. I have sent you a private message and hope to hear back from you soon so that we can make this right for you. We can and will do better.
New York
Reviewed May 17, 2013

If you're going with family or a large group, the experience of casually making your way down the hall into individual room like "baths" are hilarious. However, the encounters with strangers is awkward in your dishevelled terry bathrobe and takes getting used to.
The rooms are clean and spartan; are sans television, mini bars and AC we seem to always expect. The interior lights are dim, but the fun is looking at the mural artwork in the hallways and on the doors. Very 'trippy' writings and amusing escapism like Alice in Wonderland.
The grounds are stunning by comparison with manicured greenery, but the soul of the building is an old one. Check out the porches. If you've bad knees or drink too much, don't think of staying on the top floor! The sizeable hot tub pool was the best thing for relaxation after a long flight.
Overall, the food service was very good and the weekend was sunny. We all left with a smile.

Room Tip: It's quieter sleeping on the third floor away from restaurant or stairways.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ChakChel
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The bathrooms down the hall took a little getting used to for me as well, and I agree that the soaking pool is where it's at! Thank you for reviewing our location and we hope to see you back soon.
Louisiana
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This place was really great, it was so pretty and green when we went. The rooms moderately clean but old. There was cool paintings on the walls throughout the property. The bathroom is not in the room, it's down the hall, which was a little inconvenient. I think you can get rooms with the bathroom in it for a little extra cash. This whole property is like a resort back in time. The pub was really nice and the winery. There is so much to do at this place; food, drink, music and a soaking pool. The gift shop was full of cool stuff to take home with you. We really enjoyed it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I traveled with my brother John to McMenamin's Edgefield Resort in Troutdale, Oregon. This historic former "poor house," built in 1911 to meet the needs of the poor, has been converted into a mecca of food, drink, and entertainment. The building and grounds reflect concepts of the original architecture. Lots of murals have been painted on walls. Fine dining is available in the Black Rabbit Restaurant. We ate there the first night. It's a rather dark room with lots of tables. We sat by a window to let a bit light flood across our faces. Lots of curtains in this place. Both of us ate steak--very good. I drank wine; John drank very dark beer--dark and thick enough to be an entire meal to me. We entertained our waitress with a few jokes--John talks to everyone he encounters. He's a friendly fellow. He makes conversation with people in the hallway, in the shops, and while waiting in a line. He can't resist. People seem to like it, but I keep more to myself. John stopped by a gift shop and bought a cigar for $10--I trust it was a good one, but I don't smoke. We sat on the porch in a couple of rocking chairs--an old wooden porch--people were lounging around, looking a gardens and clouds, chatting.
Our room was small, quaint, and quite like you'd expect a poor-house place to look. No TV's or telephones in this room--it's considered poor taste to spoil the atmosphere with too much modernity. The distractions and diversions are the brew pub, the swimming pools, the gardens, and the par-3 gold courses. We did some putting on the putting green, which usually puts me a mood for a drink. I don't like to get "frustrated" when on vacation, so we decided to go for a swim. Two pools are joined together by a little opening between them, with a bridge across it--silly little footbridge, but it's cute. We chatted with some Europeans in the pool. People from throughout the world show up at this place--it's a touch of the past, of the "old" Oregon--rustic, simple, unique.
We got dressed and went to a cellar for wine tasting. The price was right, so we started with whites and worked our way through the reds, and then went through the flight again--that seems like an appropriate word after several sample--"take another flight...zoom!" We met lots of folks at the wine bar, and John talked to all of them, whether they wanted to talk or not. Friendly little cellar, though, that's true.
We spent some time on the putting green, punching the little white ball toward the hole. What a frustrating experience. It would be easier to sink it if they would build some gutters that would guide the ball toward the hole. You would think, considering the amazing engineering feats of recent decades, that something could be done to improve putting greens in this country.
The grounds are nicely manicured--flowers, shrubs, paths, trees, and a large beer garden filled with happy people sitting out-of-doors on a sunny day just before sunset drinking beer and eating hamburgers, French fries, and other little treats. I sat for awhile by myself on a little bench in a garden, enjoying the peace and quiet, the flowers and sky....great place to be when you're ready to die.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Snohomish, Washington
Reviewed May 12, 2013

If prompt service is what you require, go elsewhere. If you don't mind waiting around, then you will have a great time. Stayed here so many times and enjoyed every one of them. The Par 3 course is great and the rest of the grounds are fabulous, too. So much to try to explain. You really need to spend a day here. My advice, pull a 12-hr shift from noon to midnight. Play the short course, stroll the grounds, and see every bar on the property. Don't forget to cab it home. We like to just stay the night, but reservations are sometimes required far in advance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon M, General Manager at McMenamins Edgefield, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review! We will work to improve our promptness.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I first visited Edgefield for lunch a couple weeks ago, and have been excited to come and stay overnight. The entire place is fascinating, especially if you like history, beer, movies, art, and also like to scare yourself silly listening to ghost stories! The grounds are immaculate, you smell flowers everywhere you walk, and there is so much to see and do in every corner of the property. It's a total experience! Look in places you wouldn't expect to see art, and you will see a face peering down at you from a pipe in the ceiling. Speaking of the ceilings, look up when you are in the main hall and see who is looking back at you! It's such a neat, atmospheric place to wander and take photos, catch a movie or concert, and get dinner. Almost every interaction with staff was positive, and guests seemed to be enjoying themselves. Wandering around at dusk was amazing- tiny wild rabbits everywhere!

I was able to book a twin room on a Monday by just walking in and asking. I paid $50 for room 229: The Waltz King's room. It was a long, sort of narrow room with a twin bed, armoire, dresser, desk, and sink. It didn't have a window, but there was a window (that did not open) in the door to a fire escape/balcony on the other side of the room. At night the room was very stuffy, but there was a box fan provided, and I definitely needed it! I didn't want to leave the balcony door open while I was sleeping- so my suggestion would be to renovate or replace the window in the door of that room to open at least somewhat. The room was very clean, though, and linens, soap, and a bathrobe were provided. The Ladies Lounge was just across the main hall, and had 3 stalls with a shower, toilet, and sink, with floor to ceiling doors for total privacy. I never had to wait, and almost never even saw anyone using the rooms at all. (being a Monday, the hotel was not very busy). Also, I noticed that the wifi only worked in the lobby, but while I was there, I took a look at the ghost log book. Sounds like room 215 had the most reports!

I didn't sleep too well since it was so warm (no ventilation), and the pillow was a bit flat, but the bed was perfectly fine. A newspaper was waiting for me outside my door in the morning, and there was free coffee in the lobby. The only negative experience I had was at check out, when a joyless lady took my key, handed me my receipt, and said nothing. She didn't ask how my stay was, and she didn't thank me for staying, either. I bought a postcard at the gift shop and a stamp, and asked her to please mail it, and she just took it and handed it to the nearest employee walking by to throw in the mail pile, and went back to talking about a date she was going on to her co-worker. My receipt listed "Cashier 726"- I am not sure if it was the nice lady who checked me in, or the rude one who checked me out. That was not a great ending to an otherwise pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway
#14 of 142 in Portland
Camas Hotel
Camas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Camas

Been to McMenamins Edgefield? Share your experiences!