“Unique, Comfortable Hotel with Endless Possibilities”

McMenamins Edgefield
Norfolk, Virginia
“Unique, Comfortable Hotel with Endless Possibilities”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I attended a wedding here in 2007, and was very impressed with the hotel and grounds. The options for keeping oneself amused are almost endless - golf, a full spa, soaking pool, movie theater, live entertainment, pool hall, winery, distillery, a brewery, gardens. You won't lack for something to do, that's for sure. Rooms are sparse, but comfortable. Most rooms share a common bath area with other rooms, but these are usually clean and well kept. Robes are provided for your convenience.
The food options vary, depending on the venue (there are multiple), but are reasonable for the price. Service can be a challenge on busy nights, and the bars often reach capacity on the weekends, with locals coming by for movies, shows, and a night out on the town. This won't be much of a problem for hotel guests if they are willing to keep their options open, and are flexible with their time. Cooler nights are accommodated by numerous fire pits at various locations around the grounds.
The wife and I have returned for a day trip a couple of times over the years, and things are just as entertaining as on our first visit. Its not the quietest of retreats, with activity into the nighttime hours common, but if you want a unique property full of pleasant artwork, quirky times and fun memories, you could do much worse.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the halls cut down on late night noise from fellow guests.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Poulsbo, Washington
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have been coming here for years! Well before they added a beautiful outdoor soaking pool, spa or game area. It is a great place to gather with friends to celebrate a birthday. Easy to stay on the property as there are multiple pubs, restaurants, executive golf course, movie theatre; but also close to Portland, the Gorge, hiking, etc. A very fun place to relax and disconnect. No TVs in the rooms, many of which have shared baths. All their properties are converted historic buildings so very unique. Love it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
carlsbad
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I went to McMenamins about 100 days ago; we are from San Diego. We plan on going a third time just to McMenamins soon again. This time, we will just fly to Portland, grab a bus/taxi to McMenamns, 17 miles east off 84 freeway, get a local hotel 1/2 mile away, take the bus to McMenamins during the day, and taxi back to hotel late at night. We will be making just one trip just to that location, it is that good. We stayed for a few nights on-site at the McMenamins Administrator home. This was amazing, but I highly suggest, after the nostalgia wears off, to just stay at the local hotel chain down the street. The rooms are great, and we had the whole house to ourselves (Administrator house), but just did not quite like the vibe; it is older and I get spooked with basements. Drinks, food, fun, it is all here. Make a day and long night out of it. Take business associates, friends, siblings, etc. We loved the spa too, and funny how it poured rain on us after the spa massage, which really did not matter, as we had a skrewhound in each hand and we in blissville. Don't bring kids, it really is not the place for them. Careful very late at night, as the Distillery can be a bit rowdy around 1 or 2 am, as some younger folks just can't hold their liquor. It is safe and security great, but we aware of the idiot 20-something drunk, who occasionally passes by (or passes out in front of you, in our little funny episode).

Room Tip: Distillery by the golfcourse....oh man, nice and cozy. Get out of there before 1 am, it is the last...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CarlsbadJohn_M
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stop 3 (final stop), on our McMenamins mini tour. Checked in after 6pm and requested a rollaway upon check in, dropped our stuff off at the room and headed straight to the winery to do some tasting and enjoy live music. After that more drinks and dinner at the Power Station Pub then some drinks at Jerry’s Ice House. Went back to the room to freshen up before the rest of our night (Distillery bar, Lucky Staehly’s pool hall and back to the Distillery Bar) the rollaway was there but not set up. We tried in our drunken state for a good 5-10 minutes before reaching out for help, stopped the first guy we saw in the hallway, he came in took one look and said “ya, its broken” felt like fools …but committed ones. He was so helpful, went and got another one and set it up for us. Stayed in king room, clean and comfortable and could easily fit a rollaway. Loved the ladies lounges on the 1st and 2nd floors, each with their own décor and theme. Enjoyed the soaking pool in the morning, relaxing and refreshing! Breakfast and Lunch in the Black Rabbit Restaurant, both delish! The property is beautiful in and out.

1 Thank Drea012
Walnut Creek, California, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A friend recommended the Edgefield as a fun alternative to cookie cutter hotel rooms...you know the kind of hotel rooms that after a year of 2 weeks a month road trips, you forget what city your in when you wake up?

The Edgefield is a wonderfully quirky, renovated old poor farm. Its a grand affair, yet is kept more like a post-grateful dead styled commune with a strong dash of steam punk thrown in all wrapped up in an old sanitarium. The hotel is a 2 hour drive from Eugene and 45 minutes from Beaverton.

The good: The rooms are very affordable and comfy. This is due to the Euro style bathroom sharing but if you explore, you'll find bathrooms that allow you to shut the door and have the facilities to yourself. I dig the walk in full tiled shower room with the windows open for a blast of Columbia air and morning sun while getting ready. Don't be embarrassed to walk around in your robe: everyone does it.

The RUBY SPA soaking pool. Look at the pictures. it's best at night.

The Power station for food. I have had no problem with the burgers and tater tots. I have stayed here a LOT and have never had an issue with the service.

I haven't eaten at the Black Rabbit cause I'm using the hotel as a value. Its nice not having to leave the hotel for meals. The Black Rabbit breakfast is serene. Start with the cream cheese frosted breakfast roll, fruit dish and coffee. They show first run movies for 3$ but there's an multiplex about 5 minutes drive if you need a real theater. You can't get a burger and beer delivered to your seat in a real theater tho

The grounds are basically a PACNW botanical gardens and I love the various outdoor firepits and chill spots. Generally all served by a bar.

Brewery, distillery and winery on site. I don't drink but boy if I did. The milkshakes made with homebrews and homemade icecream are awesome.

The Bad: if you don't have a loo in your room, walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night can be a bummer..especially after a night at the bar. The hotels vibe is cool at 3 am tho...DON"T FORGET YOU ROOM KEY! just put the second key in your robe pocket and leave it there...

Noise can be a factor. There is often revelry, live music and a full blown concert series in the summer which has people roaming the grounds at 2 AM, well sauced. Ear plugs.

The UGLY: the place has many vats of fermenting juice and warts. This can lead to a strong smell sometimes and you just have to be willing to take it in stride. After all, you paid 70$ for a queen bed with a view.

This is a great spot for a 3 day stay for business, couples retreat, guys or girls trip etc. Not a great kids place due to the alcohol oriented vibe.

I love it and this is my hotel of choice for the greater Portland area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor away from the main doors and elevators. Ask for a room on the nor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in a room with an in-room bathroom and this room was incredibly large and comfy. The plumbing is a bit old, so the toilet got clogged and the shower pressure isn't amazing, but there are tons of public bathrooms to use if that happens and the front desk was awesome about responding and helping get it fixed. The winery is cool and has pretty cheap wine flights with healthy pours and the live music is awesome. We had dinner at the pub and the food was delicious. We spent the evening in another of the bars at the hotel and has a blast playing pool and darts and drinking beers, with great service from the waitstaff all night. Overall, this is a great place to stay with friends.

1 Thank eturov
Oregon
Reviewed January 22, 2013

First off want to say I have been coming here for years and absolutely love the property and experience. Edgefield IS an experience. When visitors come in it is one of the first places I take them first. So when friends were coming in from Bend I jumped at staying there. Usually when I have stayed in the past with my husband we have had the largest rooms but I opted for trying out a single occupancy room since I was by myself. The tiny room for $50 I just loved and the bed although small was perfect. And it seemed I had the third floor all to myself which seemed adventurous in the late night exploring the art on the walls and doors. Really, I feel I have made a great discovery since the value includes use of the soaking pool.
We enjoyed much of what the property offers;The winery with a fabulous band playing, the soaking river, the upper "cigar" pub and just hanging out.
The thing I find odd I must point out is the mish mash of service. The winery attendant was funny and engaging, the security guy was very friendly and rushed to try to salt the areas by the pool that were freezing for our safety(It was wicked cold with the gorge winds). The bartender at the upper pub was a robust Irish looking guy that started the bonfire quickly upon request. He was very friendly. A few minutes later when my friends joined me another bartender took over-Seemed he hated being there and it really showed. Plopped down my friends's toddys with a curt "Anything else I can get you?"like we were being dismissed. We looked at each other almost startled. The next morning was an interaction similar. After a fantastic slumber in my little bed I went down and requested a 12pm check out which they granted. All of the front desk staff was helpful and wonderful from check in to check out. The gift shop clerk was very helpful with me selecting a coffee to buy even going online for the more thorough descriptions. My friends gone I went into the Black Rabbit pub and slipped into a quiet booth by the bar. Alyssym I think her name? Was super engaging and we had some really pleasant chat. Very genuine. I looked bummy in my sweat pants and a little peaked after the late night of Indulgence and she assured me she would help set me right. The coffee was great and the poached egg with my wheat toast perfect. What was weird is a server walked past me and I swear the whole calm easy morning turned cold. She took over my booth and came off terse and cold-Not friendly at all. Giving me a refill splattering my coffee she was very abrupt with her service like she was hassled. Maybe her hair was pulled back too tight...I dunno. I couldn't help notice just before leaving when a guy sat at the bar her interaction was COMPLETELY different. Smiling and chatting. I willed myself to not let this taint my relaxed visit but it sort of did. Really, there are so many talented people in need of jobs in the Hospitality business I just can't see the hiring of unfriendly people.
Overall had a blast and will have many returns! Just Hey Edgefield, sort your staff out!

Room Tip: I loved my little single occupancy room on the third floror...Don't want to tell you the number...
1 Thank KimberKeith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway
#14 of 142 in Portland
Camas Hotel
Camas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Camas

Been to McMenamins Edgefield? Share your experiences!