“Party time”

McMenamins Edgefield
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After reading some of these not-so-positive reviews I can only say that you cannot be a quiet type looking for a good night's sleep in adult paradise. Although we have a 2 year old and have stayed several times with her. Super friendly front desk staff that will try to customize your stay with your favorite rooms. The bar staff is always accomodating. I really take issue with those who say otherwise. They give us ice and milk when we need it for our little daughter. It is an old building so you will hear some creaks and conversation at times. We even stayed the night of a concert and still not too bad. Excellent free coffee in the front desk area after a fun night. Areas that make this place great: Soaking pool, spa, 2 little par 2 golf courses, basement pool hall, wine tasting, cigar bar, Power Station late night happy hour, excellent breakfast in Black Rabbit Restaurant, awesome gift shop. My wife and I got married and drove to Edgefield the next day before our other honeymoon. It was the only place we wanted to go. If you love a good time, call them.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 7, 2012

To be fair to McMenamins, they don't tout themselves as a premier winery experience. However based on the reviews of the overall property we expected something more than a bar. They had a pretty impressive operation for making the wines going on outside, but inside left a lot to be desired. The "tasting" was really just a bar where the bartender was pretty neglectful. They even switched halfway through and really had no idea what we were doing. One of them even told us she doesn't even like wine. We were looking to get a winery experience without trekking too far out of the city, but this was not it. The one redeeming quality; the price! Generous pours for $5.

On a more positive note the grounds were beautiful, and it seemed like a great all inclusive place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Where the past meets the future is a tired metaphore, but truly when they do meet, Edgefiled will be the crashsite. It's everything old....early 20th C Rural America /big govt insitutional, and new as in self reliant, local food production, local art, booze, luxuries. It's Science, History, Humanities and even Steampunk all presented in a spectacular setting.

The grounds are a million clever projects knitted together into an elegant place that is alive. Rare plants, beutiful sculptures, furniture, herbs, flowers, specimin trees excite any visitor. Much of the art is whimsical and heartlifting, and funny.

We did not lodge here, as we were staying with friends on our visit, but we visited two of the three days we stayed in Portland, just to soak up everything Edgefield has to offer.

Like many places in Oregon, they have a gift shop which features Oregon themed things. It's was wonderful and filled with clever items including some great Oregon music (purchased all the Pink Martini CDs sugest you do the same) BTW, in Oregon, they are called Filberts, not hazelnuts...

Looming in the background is the fact that at one time in the US, such a nobel idea that a destitute person could live in a place and produce food, the surplus of which was sold seems distant and long gone.The feel ot the building and it's halls bring to life the books of (John Irving, and TC Boyle come to mind) set in an era I never lived thru, but now see and understand more clearly.

Dorm style shared bathrooms remain as they were in the period (1911) in what's now the Hotel segment.

Gent's note: The Men's room in the entry level features the finist urinal in the US. (possibly excepting the "waterfalls" at the Modonna Inn) It's worthwhile to have a coffee or ale and visit this attraction before departing.

Edgefield is a rich and fun filled delight, and I fell priveledged to help support such a wonderful place by doing my gift shopping here. (lots of pals are getting hooch for the holidays)

My ratings are a bit off because I did not actually stay overnight here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Trip Advisor advised me to go, so I did, by chance. The huge property and history is amazing. 9 different pubs/distilleries on the property, the small red smoke shack (and drink), hotel and 6 pool tablets downstairs. This property, if close by, should be visited for a few hours during the day, then plan on a long night, 2am closing on some of the property. Glass blowing, a number of inhouse restaurants, it is nuts. Your tongue will be waggin'. Leave the kids. Spa, etc. Take the 77 bus a half mile from local hotels to get there safe and back. This is an amazing place, just go. I did not stay though in the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarlsbadJohn_M
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The former Oregon Poor Farm has been lovingly restored by McMenamin's into a hotel, restaurant, pub with outdoor seating and firepits, conference facilities and lovely grounds with beautiful gardens and vineyard. One of the nicest places for a conference that I have ever been. It's a beautiful little oasis in the midst of a big city. House brewery, winery and distillery too, plus their very own honey made from hives on the ground. Really enjoyed my two day visit in unseasonably (for Oregon)sunny October weather.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed ourselves. We stayed here two nights while hiking in the Columbia River Gorge. After a day of hiking waterfalls it was nice to come back to a place with beautiful grounds and spend some time in the soaking pool, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Most evenings started with getting a drink and exploring the grounds at dusk, which is worth the price of the room. The property is really cool. There are vineyards to explore, little dark bars that only fit a few people, vegetable gardens, flowers, a golf course, and walkways. One of the nights we were there they had a "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" party with a little sting band playing on a stage, tables under trees, and of course beer. The grounds are really the big selling point here.

The rooms are simple. We stayed in the Chris Isaak room which was decorated with paintings of Chris Isaak. It also had a large painting of an old clown smoking a cigar that was a little creepy. He kinda looked like Larry David without his glasses. The rooms are simple. The bed was average. It was clean.

You have to share bathrooms. That's right, your room does not have a bathroom. You have to go down the hall to shower our use the toilet. After two nights we were pretty done with this.

The service at this place totally sucks. The entire time it was bad. I would have rated this place as "very good" if not for the service. At diner we ordered a pizza, a salad and a beer. It showed up at our table in that order and I had to track the waitress down to get my beer. I'm a former server. I cut wait staff a lot of slack. It's a hard job but this place has some serious service problems. Basically, if you needed something you had to get up and find your server to make it happen. The food was OK. Not great. Not bad. The evening's entertainment was really good. It's a fun place, kinda like an adult hipster amusement park. I'd go back for sure and I'd be willing to stay at one of their other properties.

Room Tip: I was told the higher the floor, the quieter it is at night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were guests at Edgefield last week and had the time of our life! The property is so much fun with so much to do! Golfing, wine tasting, beer tasting, spa services, and the WONDERFUL saltwater soaking pool sanctuary! We got pedicures in the spa, had meals in all 3 of the eating places, and really loved the tiny little Gerry Garcia bar. It was also fun to be here for harvest/crush of the grapes. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this good time!

Room Tip: Book early to get a room with a bathroom. We stayed iupstairs n the Powerhouse and did have a bathr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HulaHolly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway
#19 of 144 in Portland
Camas Hotel
Camas Hotel
#1 of 1 in Camas

Been to McMenamins Edgefield? Share your experiences!