“Try to avoid”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Dublin, Ireland
“Try to avoid”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The only hotel in all our many years which could not muster a corkscrew. Had to go out in the rain to buy one. No drinking glasses in room. Plastic everywhere. Plastic "cutlery" in breakfast room. Please! Breakfast very poor. Wifi kept dropping out and hotel staff knew nothing. Called the wifi company - it's a known issue on iPads and they did provide a work around. Known for a long time except to Holiday Inn staff. This particular place in Troutdale Oregon is incorrectly addressed in Google and you will end up at the Comfort Inn. Very confusing and time wasting. Again a known issue unfixed. First receptionist very helpful - Dominique - and upgraded us when first room had a problem. Thousands of miles travelled in the US this trip and Holiday Inn has been the most disappointing. We are sure there are better ones. However, we have a fix - no more Holiday Inn's! Tony and Aileen O'Connor

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tony_0485
Gulled M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We would sincerely like offer our apologies for the trouble you experienced during your stay. It is our policy to make sure that every guest that walks out of our doors leaves having had a great experience. We try to go above and beyond whenever possible to let our guest know how much we appreciate them.
Thank you for your feedback! We will definitely learn and grow from it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here after a long drive down from Rainer Mountain.
The lady at the reception was ver friendly and accommodating.
Rooms are fairly new and very clean.
Beds are comfortable. Dow near a railway and the I84, the noise was minimum.
Good price/quality for this 2 queen/ double sink room.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Gig Harbor
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We (Mom, age 87 1/2, our dogs, myself and/or my Daughter) are frequent guests at Troutdale Holiday Inn Express. Not only are the staff courteous and accommodating, they are cheerful and conscientious about doing their work. They greet you with genuine pleasure. We have recently lost first my Father and then my Husband. We feel very safe and comforted at this hotel. Our last visit, my Mother had a serious fall. Help was there within minutes and they took care of calling the paramedics while I tended to my Mother. Wonderful staff (paramedics, also!).
My only complaint, which does not pertain to staff is the discourteous guests who do not clean up after their pets! This is inexcusable! The hotel is gracious enough to allow pets and you who do not clean up after your pets, ruin it for everyone! Clean up!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

This is very close and convenient to Multnomah Falls and other locations. The rooms were very clean, quite and comfortable. Marisa at front desk was very helpful.

Only complaint, the room a/c was bit noisy.

• Stayed August 2013
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2013

When my GPS erroneously had me turn off the service road of I-84 a block early, I was disgusted at the motel the misdirection sent me to. I finally figured out that I needed to go a bit further down the service road and pull in between Shari's diner and Taco Bell. Then I saw the Holiday Inn Express. Schwew! This was more like it.

Plenty of parking in front of and around the hotel. The lobby was open and the front desk staff was wonderfully friendly. The night clerk is even from my hometown half way across the country.

Yes, the hallway was a bit dark, but the room was very comfortable. It had a mini fridge, but no in-room safe. It was clean and well stocked. I met another couple in the parking lot, and we joked about how we felt we were the only people in the hotel. It was so quiet!

I grabbed a quick dinner at the Arby's about half a block away. I the drove east on I-84 to take in the beautiful scenery. This hotel is a quick drive to the Portland airport, about 10 minutes, and I went back to the airport to pick up a friend arriving on a later flight. Her check in was as quick and friendly as my own. We crossed the parking lot to the Shari's, a 24 hours Denny's type diner, and got her a late dinner. Save room for pie!

There's a breakfast room, open at 6:30, but we were out just before that to catch an early train to Seattle. As it turns out, it's such an easy drive into Portland, we would have had plenty of time for breakfast.

The location makes this hotel a superb choice for anyone not interested in staying in the young, hyper downtown Portland. Although its neighbors are a bit seedy, the hotel is clean, comfortable, friendly, affordable, close to fast food and casual dining, convenient to the scenic highways on the gorge to the east and Portland to the west.

I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jamie-SoloTraveler
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

this was a convenient and clean hotel for me. Like a priori viewer I was concerned about railroads and truck stops adjacent to this facility but it was never an issue. Typical breakfast. Nice people. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
Rigby, Idaho
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here one night with family while passing through the Portland area. I grew up in Troutdale and remember when this property was built, in the late 80's or maybe early 90's. At that time it was the Phoenix Inn. It has been other hotel brands and most recently became a Holiday Inn Express. It's a little rough around the edges and certainly not new, but it seemed clean and I slept well on the comfortable bed. There is an active railroad close by but I didn't hear much train noise despite my room being located on the back side. Check-in was efficient and friendly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear ajnuff,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am very pleased that you found the bed comfortable and in fact had a good sleep on it. On the other hand, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation specifically with the hotel's condition. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troutdale
Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway
Days Inn & Suites Gresham
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#5 of 11 in Gresham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale? Share your experiences!