“Great Hometown Place”

Description: Phone 541-336-9150
Toledo, Oregon
“Great Hometown Place”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I get breakfast here once/twice a month, and we are never disappointed. The portions are huge, and the prices are very affordable. The wait staff and cook are always friendly, and it has that 'everybody knows everybody' feel about it (because in reality most of us do). Cute old world cafe decor, and prompt friendly service.

• Visited January 2014

“Main St Cafe”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Thought we would try this place for lunch regardless of the bad reviews. The bad reviews were spot on. The food was tasteless and the service was horrible. I taught school in Toledo a few years back and it shouldn't have surprised me that this place fits right in with theToledo way doing things. I'll never go back!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Barnacle46
Oregon Coast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,651 helpful votes
“Sadly, it's gone way downhill.”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We've eaten here several times since my first review in 2010. Each time was good. We hadn't been for about a year and I had heard on the local radio that the cafe had changed hands. So, since we were in Toledo anyway, we thought we'd stop in for lunch.

We walked in, caught the waitress' eye and sat over by the picture windows in the back. There was one other table plus couple of people just finishing up at the counter. Not busy at all.

She promptly gave us menus and took our drink order - iced tea and water. We perused the menus . . . and waited. And waited. And . . . yep, waited some more.

She then appeared to give the other table their check, looked over at us and I saw her face register shock!
She'd forgotten all about us!

She did hustle out to the counter to get our drinks, and we ordered. Before the food arrived, the other table left, so we were the only ones in the place.

My husband's chicken fried steak was reasonably good, and good sized. The biscuit was about half the size that it used to be, and of course we had to fetch the jam from another table as we had none.

My grilled chicken sandwich was okay. It was not quite as good as the grilled chicken burgers I get at Burger King - for half the price. But it did come with ham and bean soup that was fairly good.

By this time, two more patrons had sat down at the counter and ordered just colas. One more person came in to place a take out order. So, still not busy at all.

We never saw the waitress again.

We finished lunch and waited for our bill. And . . . you know what I'm going to say here . . . waited some more. Finally, my husband got up and went to the front counter to pay. The gal was talking and laughing with one customer, and totally ignored him!

After he stood there a few minutes, I left our table and joined him. She finally acknowledged us and ran the card through. No "how did you like your lunch", no "thanks for coming in", nothing.

I think we now know why the restaurant had no business!
We won't return.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank half-Brit
“Won't go back”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We walked in the door and had to wait about five minutes before the waitress Said,"just go sit anywhere." After we found a seat we had to wait 30 minutes before this waitress brought us our menus. No sorry for the wait or anything. She was not a pleasant person. 35 minutes after we got there we left because we had not even received so much as a glass of water. We had heard about this cafe on the radio but as far as i am concerned its all a lie. We will never go back or refer anyone to go there.

1 Thank tyeandmelynda
Toledo, Oregon, United States
“Tami and crew”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Nice place to eat. Hometown style and fresh. Except the canned gravy.... But lots of selection and well made. GREAT Servers!