“More than we expected”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tillamook
Atlanta, Georgia
“More than we expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

We were a little anxious after reading the other reviews but none of the reasonably priced motels had good ratings in Tillamook. We found the Ashley Inn to be clean and comfortable with a good breakfast. The wi-fi worked ok. It was all we expect in a motel and we would rate our experience as good overall with no problems.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Not sure what the other review people are use to, we had a small dog, they accommodated. The price was competitive, and the room was clean, King bed comfortable. The other reviews I have read about this hotel seem to be written by very spoiled people. The morning breakfast was much more than we were used to at 8's. Fresh fruit, biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs w/sausage, shredded cheese, cereals etc.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank LovinArizona
Camano Island, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

My husband, small dog and I were passing through Tillamook on a road trip along HWY 101 to northern California. We decided to stay in Tillamook. We read the reviews on this site and decided to go with The Ashley Inn. Turns out Tillamook is a bit seedy and we would have continued on to Lincoln City had we to do it over again. The Cheese Factory was worth seeing, however.

The Ashley Inn is a great hotel for a something-to-be-desired town. There was nowhere around the hotel that felt comfortable to take my dog on a walk, and the hotel grounds have essentially no grassy area.

After 8 hours of driving we got to the hotel at about 3 pm and were told to come back at 4 pm. This was annoying--most places have a 3 pm check-in time and this is the first time I've been turned down for a slightly early check in. Before leaving to go try to stay busy for an hour, I used the rest room and it was out of soap. Two bad experiences right away - I began to worry!

The room itself was very comfortable, but a little dark as it had only one smallish window. There is the standard mini-refrigerator, microwave, coffee set-up (which we didn't need because they have coffee in the lobby and at the morning breakfast), hair dryer in the room, etc. There is DVD player, so we were glad we brought a few DVD's from home. TV, cable, etc worked fine. Bed was comfortable and cozy.

Bathroom has new fixtures and is very clean. Linens, towels, and shower curtain were in new or like new condition. Brand new bath insert made it spotless. The wallpaper is dark and dated, and peeling in some areas, but not a big deal.

Cookies were put out for guests at about 5 pm. They were the standard type sold in the refrigerator section at the grocery store and if they are cooked a minute too long, they turn into hockey pucks. These were cooked too long and not edible. The breakfast was a little below standard fare - cheap bread out for toast and really odd looking biscuits. The coffee was too thin. (It was a challenge to find good coffee anywhere in Tillamook.)

I love nice landscaping and there are some nice plants and trees surrounding the property, but they are in need of basic pruning and weeds have taken over some parts. It's in obvious neglect, even the area where you enter the hotel lot and get the first impression.

The workout room had only two machines. I worked out on the treadmill and it worked okay. It was a few years past its prime but it worked. The room was too hot! The sanitize wipes were all out, the trash was full and there were only a few towels left on the shelves and I could tell that no one had cleaned the room in a while. I don't think there was a TV in the room, although I just read so I wasn't looking to watch one anyway. I didn't use the pool but it looked nice.

They have a guest laundry that we didn't use but was nice to have available.

In sum, this is a very mixed review. I gave this hotel a 3 because they fall short of a few of the most important basics for me: 3 pm check-in for weary travelers, gooey cookies, good coffee, decent work out room, walkable neighborhood, and well-maintained landscaping. It is definitely overpriced for what they offer and their poor level of service.

Room Tip: Bargain them down in price. I think you'll get it. If you don't, go to the Shilo Inn down th...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Eatonville, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

The bed had sand on it...the bathroom had mold on the ceiling...it was not worth the price especially when my husband heard the hotel clerk tell someone they could get two rooms for the price I paid for one...the breakfast was small and tasteless...the internet was REALLY slow, and the pool was cloudy. I would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Debby P
Temple Terrace, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

The Ashley Inn used to be part of a big chain and it has that big chain look. The people at the desk were friendly and helpful; the room was clean and comfortable. The location near the cheese factory is ideal; the factory is the reason most visitors stop in this town. Looking at the other motels as we drove around town, it seemed to us that this was the nicest property by far.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

My family and I decided to stay 1 night at the Ashley Inn on our way down the Oregon coast - the timing for our trip was almost perfect for a stop in Tillamook since we wanted to hit the cheese factory.

The location of the Ashley Inn is actually kind of in the middle of nowhere. It's very close to the cheese factory, and next to the city's only Fred Meyer. However in hindsight, I'd probably drive further down.

Overall the inn itself is a little on the older side in terms of style. Most things were fairly clean, but in the lobby there was a bit of a strange smell that none of us could quite identify.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a front desk agent who really made me feel unwanted. Although she was polite, she was surly and it just didn't look like she wanted to be there. I tried not to let it get to me, since I thought maybe she was just having a bad day, but unfortunately it left me with a bit of a bad feeling. Almost like I wasn't suppsoed to be there, and that I should go home or something...

The rooms themselves are fine, standard hotel fare. The hotel serves breakfast on the first floor which consisted of some basic items - scrambled eggs or scrambled eggs with sausage bits, toast, cereal, fruits, etc. Just fine for a start to my day, but nothing to write home about. There's also a computer in the lobby for customer use - which wasn't working properly when I tried to print something, but fortunately for me, I knew how to fix it.

Upon checkout I had a much nicer clerk, which made me feel better about the hotel, but unfortunately I still had a bit of a negative opinion due to the surly welcome I had received the day earlier. I noticed the same clerk behind the counter and she still seemed like she couldn't care less about the customers. I'm not sure if it was just me or if all of the customers were treated that way, but... oh well, what can you do?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
West Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Included breakfast not worth eating, very low quality.

• Stayed August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tillamook
Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Tillamook
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
#3 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to The Ashley Inn of Tillamook? Share your experiences!