“Preferred Nehalem or Seaside for beach”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tillamook
Cape Lookout State Park
vancouver, BC
“Preferred Nehalem or Seaside for beach”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed on night here with our boxer. For looking so open, I would agree with other reviews that you have privacy. We booked last minute, so I assumed our spot would be the one no one wanted. Maybe it was, but I thought it was fine. B19 was our spot. The dense shrubbery around our site gave us quite a bit of privacy. There was so many kids riding on their bikes. So many people in general. I guess it was FULL, but you are very aware of how many our there. The washrooms were kinda stinky and damp, you know. There was just so much traffic using them, even if they cleaned them regularly they'd probably still be kinda gross. Didn't use the showers. The beach is exactly how others described. Very easy access to it and you walk over a hump to the beach and it's that beautiful white powder that oregon has. But if the tides in, it would suck, cause there is a lot of huge rocks, THEN powder, but nothing if tide was in. The tide was out when we went, so it was fabulous. I just like Nehalem State park alot more for privacy and beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank azarbrook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
oregon
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We loved it. I agree with other reviewers some campsites are kind of open and not private and some are very private. Our inlaws were right on the corner of D loop and it was a main thorough fare to get to the beach. Lot's of people, some nice, some annoying. We were right next door and we were very secluded with bushes all around and an awesome space for our son to set up his tent (we were in a small trailer). The best and worst spaces are tent sites. Some of them were beautiful and very private, some open to the whole camp. Otherwise a great campground, great beach, great staff, great time. We will definitely go back.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank surfval
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Friendly staff, perfect location, clean facilities. We will defiantly return. Right on the beach and only 10 min from Tillamook. Pick your campsite carefully. Some sites have no privacy and others too much wind. We have no complaints.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Javejunk
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This was my second trip with friends to Cape Lookout our first trip was good but once you get a layout of the park it can be much better. Our first tent site was c17 right by the meeting hall. We got stuck singing old hymns for an hour while trying to make polite excuses. The campsite had bushes on two sides but everything else was very open. This last time we went camping there we picked c18 since we scoped it out before. The campsite is pretty much perfect the campsite east of it isn't right next to it and your car blocks out c16. there is a small creek that runs right behind it and you just have to jump over that to get to the trail. Make sure to go to Oceanside and walk as far north as you can(through the cliff wall) and see if you find any starfish!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank mt_megz
portland, oregon
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We (three adults and a large dog) just finished a two-night weekend stay at Cape Lookout. This was only our second time camping in Oregon, so I don't have a lot of experience to compare, but we did a lot of research before going so here's what I can say:

Campground: the staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. The grounds were kept super clean the whole time we were there. Water spigots were a short walk between every other campsite, very convenient. There were a few access points to the beach, but no view of the beach from the grounds. The day-use fee kept the traffic down around the sites.

Sites: the sites are extremely varied - everything from flat, no-privacy sites to fully wooded sites. All the sites had sturdy picnic tables and firepit areas. If you are tent-camping and want privacy, aim for the eastern edges of the A or B loop (but not near the bathrooms). The western A and B loop don't have a lot of vegetation between sites, so there isn't much privacy (but more natural light). The eastern sites are pretty well shaded. The yurts and full-hookup sites were in a heavier forested C and D-loop area. The yurts looked great - the ones along the western edge of the C loop had the most space between sites.

Weather: September is supposed to be the warmest month, but it was still quite chilly in the mornings and evenings. Bring lots of layers, and prepare for chilly nights. One night there was fog that might as well have been rain because it left a layer of water on everything. The second night we had actual rain, and some very strong winds that relocated some of our gear into the bushes around our site (another reason to aim for the wooded sites). The forecast was for "occasional showers". Also, I was under the illusion that there wouldn't be bugs on the coast. Wrong! Bring bug spray, keep your skin covered and don't wear flip-flops. I ended up in urgent care after a bad reaction to some sort of mosquito, and my feet were covered in ant bites from wearing sandals while I cooked dinner. My mistake, but ouch!

Fellow campers: Lots of kids riding bikes. The second night we had a group of raucous, drunk college kids next to us. Despite reading that the rangers are pretty vigilant about noise control, we had to go over around midnight and ask them to keep it down. Other than that group, everyone was polite and quiet.

Facilities: The bathrooms are well lit, kept clean, and offer very welcome semi-warm showers. Your best bet for getting a shower without waiting is around dinnertime or later, after 6pm. Some extra mirrors in the bathroom would be nice, because every time I was there, women were using the sink areas to blow-dry and curl their hair or put on makeup (seriously, gals?) and they had to move everything so I could wash my hands. One time I even saw someone running a crockpot in the bathroom to make chili while they showered. Hmm...

Activities nearby: We did the 2.4 mile Cape Hike (its 2.5 miles uphill from the campground to the trailhead, FYI). It was a good hike, but with some fairly muddy spots, so be prepared and wear closed shoes. The views along the way were just as good as the Cape view at the end, so enjoy the journey. We also went crabbing in Netarts Bay. It was our first time, but we didn't really catch enough crabs to make it worth the cost (around $75 for 3 people with boat, gear and licenses, and we caught maybe 15 small crabs). The folks at Netarts Bay RV Park helped us get started, but they weren't especially patient or helpful (in fact they seemed a little inconvenienced when we asked questions).

Overall, I would recommend this campground, but make sure you pick a site that works for your needs. If you want the totally isolated camping experience, this location isn't for you. The nearby beach and activities are best for people who don't need a lot of hands-on attention.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
15 Thank pdx3818
Iowa
Reviewed July 4, 2008

There are only four cabins at this state park but they are very nice cabins in the trees around fifty yards from the beach. The park is very well kept and the beach is wonderful for walking. Some sunsets are beautiful there and I'm attaching a photo I took of a particularly colorful sunset.

• Liked — quiet
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled with family
3 Thank ezwryder
Lk. Stevens, WA
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We were looking for camping within a SHORT walk to the beach that still had showers, etc. and we found it here. The beach is just over the breakwater which has its back to the "A" sites. At high tide the beach is only around 50 yards from the breakwater, but I went out at low tide and was stunned to see the beach had receded about 1/4 mile. It was fantastic as the tide slowly chased me back in with tidepools forming and flooding over all around. Sites are very well laid out; the ones to the south, east & north are shaded, while those in the middle are sunnier. Stay clear of a couple central A/B sites near the sewer pump station - you won't like the breeze from that direction. ENJOY!
Jonesie

7 Thank JONEZENATOR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tillamook
Garibaldi House Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Pacific City
Surf & Sand Inn
Surf & Sand Inn
#1 of 1 in Pacific City

Been to Cape Lookout State Park? Share your experiences!