“Sack the Chef”

Tillamook Cheese Factory
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Tillamook
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stopped at the Tillamook Cheese Factory for a bite on our way to Newport on Hwy 101. The name and logo are synonymous with cheese in my mind so I was happy to see the Creamery Cafe and an ice cream station. I had the grilled cheese sandwich and my husband opted for the fail safe mac and cheese. Don't bother. My sandwich was below average and the mac and cheese came from a bag at best and was a total shame to be even remotely associated with real cheese. The sauce was thin, lacking taste and above all cheese. We couldn't stomach more than a spoonful each. The ice cream was nothing special either. Extensive gift shop, but if you, like us have high expectations for cheese, you'll be disappointed. Go to Wisconsin.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,397)

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My friends and I stopped there on a drive along the Oregon Coast. It was pouring rain so we were thankful to have a warm place to visit. While there is a lot of writing throughout the viewing area of the factory, I didn't think it was easy to follow. I wanted something posted right at the windows to explain what I was watching. I thought the flow was poorly designed as well. The stairway up was right next to the stairway down and I could imagine that on a busy day it would be too packed to enjoy the space.

Downstairs the cheese samples were great (not 100% hygenic, but toothpicks are a good start) We ate at the cafe but no one was blown away by their meal. My husband was excited about the ice cream available and it was pretty good. Lots of opportunity to buy cheese and foodstuffs as well as a standard gift shop for Oregon goodies.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This place is a free self-guided tour which will take you no more than an hour to walk around. You get to see the process of cheese making and get to try a bunch of cheese samples, for a small town this factory sees a lot of tourist, while we were there this place was cramped with people, sufficient parking.

Definitely worth a stopover if crossing by town and make sure to try out there ice cream before exit, one of the best ice creams I have tried in a while and really reasonably priced cheese for people who are interested in buying it compared to buying it from your local store.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Had a great time when we took the kids. It's a free self guided tour that the kids enjoyed more then I expected them to. It's nice that you get to sample and the different types of cheese that they make there. Ended our tour with a stop for some triple scoop ice cream cones and everyone was a happy camper. Yum!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

When you compare the beauty of God's creation to a cheese factory, not impressed. It is a tourist destination that gives free cheese samples. Will I stop again? no. It's nothing special. If you bring teens, they will be bored.