“You don't go for the tour!”

Tillamook Cheese Factory
Ranked #1 of 8 Tours in Tillamook
Northern Colorado
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“You don't go for the tour!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Growing up in Oregon, I've enjoyed Tillamook cheese before most people knew what it was. And while it is neat to watch them package the cheese on the self-guided tour, the real reason we stop here is for the squeaky cheese and ice cream. I've only known them to sell the cheese curds (squeaky cheese) at the factory. And the ice cream is to die for. Fabulous flavors you don't find at the chain stores and big scoops too. The kiddos loved it as well.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Guess I'm one of the few unimpressed”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife was very excited to come here and dragged me along for the ride. What did I have to complain about, I was about to stuff my face with cheese at an apparently famous cheese factory.

The place was packed at 6 pm (closed at 8). It looked to be packed the entire day. The place was huge from the outside. It Looked like a big factory, so we began to imagine an amazing tour with a guy letting us taste the cheese while we walked through a step by step process orientation. Boy was I wrong.

Basically, you stand in line for a long time (while reading some basic brief history), till you get to this unmanned cheese counter. Its literally 5-7 bowls of cheese cut into cubes. You grab a toothpick that 1000's have touched previously, and pick you're cube of cheese. Because the line was so long, you are FORCED to eat quick and move alone....not being able to assess each cheese. Immediately from here, you are funnelled into a sellers delight. There is a fudge counter, cheese counter, taffy counter, ice cream, tacky trinket counter, souvenirs, etc. This is like every other tourist spot in this region....absolutely no focus, just selling what they can once you have walked through the door. We did not see one person purchase cheese when there....EVERYONE was eating ice cream lol.
You can go upstairs to look down on the factory, but again, they really missed their opportunity!

When we left, the first thing I said was, "Wow, they really missed their chance". This place is big enough where it could of created something waaaaay better, and even be able to charge a small entrance fee. Just my opinion.

Seattle, Washington
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“What's not to love?”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I spent summers in Tillamook growing up. I came from New York City to Tillamook. Needless to say, any trip to the DQ or the cheese factory was the highlight of my pre teen day. But it paved the way for memories for years to come. Taking the factory tour (back then it was much more "up close" now you just peer down from above) was always really cool.

Pretty soon, Tillamook cheese, ice cream and butter could be found in grocery stores across the country. We have milk here too! But when you go to the factory, and you get your lunch for a family of six for less than $30, then you go back for ice cream and it's only about a dollar for a scoop, and it's soooo good.

According to my husband, the only thing better than a brick of black aged Tillamook cheddar is Cougar gold. Our friends also love to buy the cheese curds there. I have never had them but it's supposed to be awesome if you're into that.

Bottom line, if you have never been, you need to go. If you've been well then you can make your own decision whether to go back!

1 Thank ladyerica
Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Worth a Quick Stop”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you are travelling past the Tillamook Cheese Factory, you should stop in. The tour is self-guided, free and interesting if you take the time to read the info boards and watch the video. Not that much to see but you really get the feel for the magnitude of this business. We went mid morning on a weekday, and by the time we left it was getting really busy....I can imagine it would be packed on a weekend. We bought ice cream cones and they were huge and good! Try, and buy, the habanero cheese if you like spicy! Apparently it's hard to find a block of this in the stores. If in the area again, I would go back just to buy this cheese. There is a very helpful tourist center beside the factory.

There is a nice little tourist information

1 Thank lilleysummer
Dallas, TX
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Mostly a giant store and gift shop”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

On our tour of Oregon, this was the most crowded tourist trap. There really isn't a "tour." You go upstairs and can watch the people on the assembly line package the cheese. The whole downstairs is a store where you can buy cheese, ice cream, and other souvenirs.