Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great park and wonderful beach

I have spent a lot of time here. Day trips and camping. The beach is great for a walk and there is... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
YellowRaven
Gold Hill, Oregon
such a beautiful state park

We will 100% be back, and stay for longer, as one night was not enough! Plus we kind of got rainy... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
keen72762
Vancouver, Canada

All reviews trail hike great hike tree roots miles round trip short walk to the beach moderate hike beautiful beach lookout point sand dollars parking lot fire pit clean restrooms sunny day the pacific ocean tillamook cheese factory campground camping
Reviewed July 14, 2013

First time to stay at the Cape Lookout Campground. Stayed way in the back on D Loop (#78 or close to that) and it was quiet, freshly graveled, nice fire ring, close to washrooms. Would stay again. Some sections are remarkably open with little privacy so would consult park map when booking or when you arrive and drive around to have a look before choosing spot.

Lovely beach. Nice long walks available.

If Cape Lookout is full we have stayed at Whalen Island a few times before and granted it is essentially a small field next to the water, if you are self contained, this is a great spot to stay at.

The hike out to the Cape is lovely for what it is, a walk in the forest with a great vantage point at the end. Beautiful vistas. My teenage son had no problems doing the hike but admittedly was a bit disappointed with the final destination after having heard our family speak so much about this hike. I still enjoy this hike. What I don't recommend is that you climb over the barriers at the end of the Cape Lookout trail, which we did not do this hike but have in the past. What you will find at the bottom is a long sea cave with marine life in it. The barriers are there because the trail is steep and dangerous, but if you did ... Yes, I know, my bad for suggesting this option but I have always hoped that Oregon State Parks would build a staircase down with railings because the sea cave below is fantastic. The path is well worn and has been used by many, many hikers in the past but it would be so worthwhile investing in a sanctioned trail with railings.

Still love the 3 Capes Scenic Route and Cape Lookout, hike and campground, will continue to stop and enjoy this great part of the Oregon Coast.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was there early July 2013 with my wife, 2 kids, and parents.
It was very quiet and relaxing.
The long sandy beach was beautiful!

It also has a great trail from the campground to cape lookout.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We did this hike because of all the hype. Frommers list this as no. 1 hike on the coast. It was just ok. Ocassionally there are scenic viewpoints of the coast but not the real rocky coast just ocean views. And very full of people. Wish we skipped this hike since it was just ok. Our no. 1 favorite hike on the coast was at Ecola State Park to Indian Beach!!! (which I reviewed)

1  Thank julievida
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked in December hoping that the end of june would have some what dry weather. We were wrong, plus side was we had 4-5 hours of dry weather and was able to use the trails and beach. It was a nice site. I just wish the weather was better!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed a mixed-weather stretch of days that included hot sun, dark clouds, and rain.

Don't bother with the hike on cloudy days if you want a view, but the forest is lovely.

The campgrounds are nice and clean with hot showers. Many of the car camping sites have a surprising amount of visual privacy, which was very nice. It was also great to have such a short walk to a lovely beach.

The beach area, which sits just above a rocky cape outcropping is a great mix of rocky shore and sandy beach habitats, but is lacking in the tide pools you'll find elsewhere on the coast.