“Budget hotel is okay”

Washington Square Hotel - Tigard
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
Reviewed August 25, 2007

If you're looking for a budget hotel, this place is acceptable. They provide all the basics you need for a hotel. The room was clean. Ours faced the back of the building and was quiet. The staff was courteous and helpful. If you're cost-conscious and just need a place in the south Portland area, this place works okay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Washington Square Hotel - Tigard

Reviewed June 27, 2007

While visiting relatives in Cedar Hills for 5 days, my 82yr old Mother In Law, my 76yr old sister and I had had no problems at all for the larger part of our stay. On what we thought was our last night, we returned to the hotel at midnight, and with our only key, let ourselves into our room to find someone else's "stuff" in the room and all of our "stuff" GONE. The desk clerk was surprised at our indignation, and got into the computer to find out that our reservation had been "cancelled" because our stay was "over". She said our stuff was in a locked location and took ;us to the laundry, where the entire contents of our room was DUMPED into a laundry hamper, wet swim suits on top of our hanging silk evening wear, and suitcases, etc on top of it all. The hotel was full, and here I was with two senior citizens in the middle of the night, tired from the day and no place to sleep. The clerk couldn't seem to find an alternative room, but I found one the first call I made to a small budget inn in Beaverton. We had had no warning from the hotel, no messages on any of our three cell phones and we had been told there was only one key to that room, but obviously the key had been found to give to someone else, and what on earth, would have happened if the folks IN that room had been in bed? We were humiliated and worried and our things were all tossled everywhere. Our credit info was on their file and we certainly could have been charged for the room and scolded ??? later. I've traveled extensively and have never been so badly treated by a hotel host ever! If you can explain this treatment to three senior citizens who were treated like transients and scofaws, I'd like to hear it!

Stayed: June 2007
6  Thank crazyconnery
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Wireless internet would not work despite working with 3 different front dest people all of which new nothing about the internet system. Room was clean but all rooms have connecting doors and you can clearly hear any phone conversation in the adjoining room. Breakfast was meager but for the price breakfast was fine. Service was sub-par. Front desk people were not rude, but not exactly nice either. Price is good at $69. Next time I will pay a little more and find somewhere nicerwith an internet connection that works. Stay away from ice machine on east end of second/third? floor (can't remember which floor, we looked at a room there and then moved to another room) as it is unbelivably loud.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobsterkw
Reviewed February 7, 2007

We have stayed here many times before, but now that they charge $25 for pets, its beyond our price range. LaQuinta has no extra charge for pets, and Best Western charges $10.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Katie W
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I recently stayed at this hotel, and I had a great time! The staff was wonderful, always going above and beyond to help with anything we needed. The rooms and the facility was nice and clean. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We stayed at the Shilo because it was the #1 rated hotel in Tigard. I'm not saying it was horrible, but it is average at best. The carpet was dirty in the room, there was noise in the hallways, and the staff wasn't very attentive (wasn't even at the desk half the time). Parking is little to non-existent, it's like Hemstreet just said "hey, there's a little hole in a corner, let's drop a hotel in there, in the smallest amount of space possible. We didn't use the pool/spa/exercise areas, but they didn't look all that appealing. Continental breakfast was like most. I'm never going to complain about a continental breakfast unless they run out of food, as I don't expect much. They also advertised that they had cribs/playpens available when I booked the room, but they had absolutely none at this particular hotel, and the front desk clerk looked at me like I was speaking Chinese when I asked about one. The nice thing is that there is plenty of dining, gas, and Washington Square Mall nearby. Probably won't stay there again

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank mkerbsbald
Reviewed March 22, 2006

OK...maybe Shilo Inns owner Mark Hemstreet exaggerates a little in his commercials when he refers to Shilo Inns as "affordable excellence." But if you are travelling in the Pacific Northwest, be sure to consider the Shilo Inn chain. It may not be as well known as the national chains, but they are consistently good throughout.

This was my second time at a Shilo Inn after we vacated our apartment and prepared to move to Kansas (we stayed at the former Shilo Inn Resort at Lincoln City on the Oregon coast, which they sold to Chinook Winds Casino in 2004). This particular Shilo Inn shows a little bit of age, and the pale blue exterior may make the hotel feel a little dated, but the rooms are very comfortable.

One review notes that the spa/exercise area seems cramped. I would agree, but the area was well-maintained. Like many other smaller hotel chains trying to keep up with the Joneses (or even some larger hotels), the spa/fitness area may have been shoehorned into former living space.

The hotel is about 1/2 mile from the entrance to Washington Square Mall. Because you'd have to cross on an expressway overpass to get to the mall, don't walk across the bridge at night. Drive there, take a taxi or a bus...don't walk.

If you travel with a pet, here's good news: this Shilo Inn accepts pets. (I believe most Shilo Inns accept pets, but check their website or call the hotel before you make a reservation just to make sure.)

The Shilo Inn at Washington Square Mall may be less plush than the Embassy Suites at the mall, but it's a good value and a clean place to stay. If you are on a budget, look to Shilo Inn as a good place to rest your head for the night.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Extended Stay America - Portland - Tigard
Hospitality Inn
Hospitality Inn
#91 of 144 in Portland

Been to Washington Square Hotel - Tigard? Share your experiences!