“Great little pub with an intimate feeling”
Review of John Barleycorns

John Barleycorns
Ranked #6 of 161 Restaurants in Tigard
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Brew Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed May 28, 2014

It took my eyes a few minutes to adjust to the dark pub-like atmosphere after walking in from full on daylight. The tables in the booth area seem a little low, but they are accommodating for a fair number of people and very casual. I think I was most surprised by the number of wait staff that were filling their time by cleaning. Cleaning windows, wiping down seats, wiping down chair rails, etc. It made me feel as though they must really take pride in their jobs! We were just there to meet an old friend, but were lucky enough to arrive during happy hour. The cocktails weren't too strong, but a solid mix that made you grateful for having a designated driver on hand. We did have a few of the happy hour foods, especially enjoying the spiced tater tots. Our server was attentive and very knowledgeable. I'm sure we'll be back when we're in the area. :)

There are newer reviews for John Barleycorns

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Well, there are a lot of these in the greater Portland area. Same menu, same beers at every one. Don't get me wrong - the Cajun tots are the perfect snack and the Rubinator is a delicious beverage, but if I'm going to a McMenamins, I'd prefer to hit Mission Theater for a night of Mortified or Edgefield for some pitch-n-putt and a great concert.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Establishment is one of the McMinnimim's chain and is basically presented as a pub. Two small TV's in the bar that are not situated for viewing. Menu is meager but what they have is weel prepared. Pricy for what you get but that is the nature of these type places. We had fish 'N chips, salad and one Rueban. The rueban fell apart while trying to eat it. Fish was outstanding prepared while the salad was small for that was charged. Disappointed as it was our weekend evening out and really felt we lost something. Good staff, very little waiting.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have to say, I was actually pleasantly surprised by this place. The food is very good and it is in a cool building made to look kind of old and rustic. They have a wonderful happy hour with great prices and very good service. They also have a nice outdoor seating area with a firepit, which is very fun to hang out by in the Fall. I had a Cubano sandwich which was delicious and followed it up with a marionberry crumble, also very good. This is a McMenamins, so they have lots of beer choices and the interior of the restaurant is very well designed with cool decorations and things to look at all around. Prices overall are very good and it is in a location right off of I-5 near Home Depot. Go check it out.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Fun, casual atmosphere, busy spot with large menu choices. Pass on popular, excellent-looking burgers; definitely go for the stew!!