“We Had Just An Average Dinner Here”

Gustav's German Pub & Grill
Ranked #4 of 184 Restaurants in Tigard
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Gustav's is a favorite for casual dining. Serving lunch and dinner, the menu features a savory array of European and Northwest Specialties to suit any taste and appetite.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

On October 19, 2012 we met a family member here for dinner. Our party of four were seated within minutes of our reservation.

For starters we had a cheese fondue that was kind of small for our party of four people. It was ok but small. Beers were ordered for all of us. Each different beer type was serve in a mug with the logo on it. Two of us ordered the Wiener Schnitzel while the rest had Rheinischer Sauerbraten.

Since I had the Sauerbraten, I'll report on that. It arrived on a cool plate that robbed the meal of its heat–that's the reason for my downgrade of this restaurant. Any hot meal should be served that way–HOT. Otherwise full enjoyment will be less. The Sauerbraten was tasty but cooled off fast. There were about three pieces of meat that was soft and really didn't require a knife to cut it.

My wife ordered the Wiener Schnitzel and reported that it was good but also noted it cooled off fast. A hallmark of an excellent restaurant is a hot meal. Maybe the owners will read this and adjust their serving method?

Reviewed September 4, 2012

the vancouver restaurant has a cooler theming but the restaurant was good. It had real fantastic german food, and great service. Also keep in mind we ate here at about 4:00 so it was early. Would highly recommend to eat here!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have been to Germany several times and the food here takes authentic. Great for comfort food on a cold rainy day. Good selection of European beers. Sometimes crowded on weekends.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stumbled on Gustav’s after a day of wine tasting in the Willamette Valley. The choice of Gustav’s was finalized by my daughter-in-law who is of German ancestry. It was a particularly good choice. There is a happy hour when some of the dishes are about half off. The catch is that every member of the party is supposed to buy a beverage in order to take advantage of the happy hour offerings. We found that this policy is somewhat negotiable and beverage means everything from a cocktail to a soda.

We ordered a couple of happy hour specials and three different dinners. Everything was exceptionally delicious as we shared tastes. My son loves fondue and the offering had a very German taste and was accompanied by both white and brown bread “cubes”. The potato pancakes were amazing and did not need the sour cream and apple sauce that was provided.

Two of us had the wiener schnitzel which was of a generous portion and had a delicious crust that did not interfere with the taste of the veal. I had the sauerbraten which came with cooked purple cabbage and egg noodle bits. It was wonderful! The sour taste was not overwhelming and the beef was lean and tasty. My daughter-in-law had the wiener variety plate with three types of sausages. I tried all three and they were delicious, lean and not fatty at all. The three types of German mustards provided many taste combinations.

We all agreed that Gustav’s is a find and a must visit by those at all inclined to try authentic German food. There is also a wide variety of imported German beer to complement the food.

1  Thank John R
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We took my daughter here fore her birthday dinner at the Tigard location and since my daughter had eaten at the other locations and loved it, we decided to try this location out. Bad idea. I think they were extremely understaffed and the food quality was terrible. Our meals were cold and the chicken was tough. They did have great German beer and yummy hot pretzels with cheese though. Disappointed this wasn't great for a birthday celebration, but not the worst. Try the Clackamas or Vancouver Gustavs to take in the full experience of this restaurant.