“Good food average service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Allegro

Cafe Allegro
Ranked #48 of 153 Restaurants in Tigard
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Kids
Oregon
“Good food average service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I want to start with the food was better than the service. We were greeted and seated promptly and a friendly young man brought us our menu and water but our server, although walking by our table, next to our table and past our table did not contact us for at least 15 minutes. When I called they did say they had gluten free options but they were not what I expected. I did appreciate they have a gluten free pizza crust and my pizza was delicious but they do not offer any gluten free pasta, only their existing dishes served over spinach. That's just not what I'm looking for in an Italian Restaurant. My husband had a seafood dish which he thought was delicious. If I didn't need gluten free, it would have been a more exciting dinner despite our less than motivated waiter.

• Visited January 2014

Brevard, North Carolina, United States
“The food was atrocious”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

The people were very nice but the food tasted like a paste of bi-products and was heavily salted. No one wanted to even finish their food as it was that bad. The plates were all clean though and it was packed to the brim with people but I would never eat here again! The portions were also oversized as if it cost to much to throw it out so they keep it and add it to the next customers food. The food had no garnishments and it was not pleasing to eye or pallet.

2 Thank Olivia B
Portland
“Good pasta, Average prices, Good service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have been to Cafe Allegro several times, and I don't recall ever being disappointed. I am surprised at the recent negative reviews.

My wife and I usually ask to split a Caesar salad ($8) which ends up being plenty of salad for the two of us. The salad is good and the Caesar dressing is great! This visit I ordered the Prosciutto Carbonara ($14), which has, of course prosciutto, and red onion, zucchini, bell pepper and tomato sautéed in olive oil and garlic, finished in a parmesan and egg cream sauce, tossed with penne. It was very rich and creamy/cheesy, which I love! Delicious! My wife had the Jalapeno Shrimp ($15), consisting of gulf shrimp, fresh garlic, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeños sautéed in a clam sauce and served over linguine. She loved it! Just enough spice! Her sauce wasn't very creamy, so maybe not something I would choose.

The portions are always generous, so we always have to bring some home. Service has always been attentive. The decor is a little tired, but it's quaint if not slightly romantic.

I am generally a Marinara guy, and typically order good old Spaghetti with Marinara and Italian sausage ($13, or $11 without the sausage!). You can't go wrong with that. My wife is a little more adventurous, and often tries entrees that I would probably skip, and sometimes some of the entrees she tries are a little bland. But always good quality.

I would suggest that if you stick with the basics, you won't be disappointed! I want to try their Calzone, so I will definitely be back!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank OregonCountry
Portland, OR
“Gone Down Hill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Was one of our favorite restaurants in restaurant poor Tigard. Possibly a bad night, but both my wife and I had different entrees and both were unseasoned, bland, and we have actually not felt well for three days after eating there. Can't say it was directly tied to the food. Can say that the service was friendly and responsive, but the value and quality have gone down hill. Best bet to stay with pizza. Our pasta dishes were very large, but very boring without taste, and therefore very overpriced and not worth the money.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank 1oldmanriver
Tigard, Oregon
“Service brought the grade down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We moved to Tigard back in June and constantly smelled and saw this place almost on a daily basis. Since I was commuting downtown I was constantly at the Transit Center. Not long ago, they offered a Groupon so I bought it and when we didn't have our daughter, my husband and I finally decided to try it out. We got to the restaurant around 5pm I think. As we were pulling into the back to park there was a VERY large party coming in....There HAD to have been close to 30 people. When we walked in the door, we were seated right away. We ordered an appetizer, two entrees and a 1/2 carafe of the house red wine. I also ordered a salad with my dinner.

This is where things went downhill. We waited for a good 20+ minutes for our appetizer, the sauteed mushrooms to arrive. The other problem that REALLY ticked me off? There were multiple tables that were seated AFTER us that ordered AFTER us that were getting their salads immediately and I was still sitting there waiting for mine. When I was able to grab the waiter and ask him if my salad was coming he told me "Yes, of course" like it was a silly question. I received my salad at the same time as the appetizer came. That was ridiculous. It took almost as long, if not longer, to get our food. The waiter told us that there was a large party clogging up the kitchen. My husband and I were like....Why does that matter? A large party would have had to call in a reservation to this place and you would have people on hand for that?? YES???

My husband ordered the risotto and I thought it tasted pretty good but we were confused because risotto has a different texture to it. This risotto was like....Flat out RICE cooked in a pan with other goodies.

I thought my dish was just going to be OVER THE TOP amazing and it wasn't. I had to keep salting it, and I NEVER add salt to my food. I don't like a lot of salt period. It was EXTREMELY bland and really had no flavor. :(

When we went to pay, the waiter charged me the full price of the bill even though we had talked on more than one occasion about the fact that I had a Groupon. I mentioned it when he first came and then we chatted about it again later so I could verify how it worked with their restaurant. It was very frustrating at that point because we had been ready to go for awhile and it took FOREVER for him to come to our table and he just had a very snobby attitude when he would come around. In fact, when he went to grab the tray with my card to pay the remaining balance I tried to stop him and remind him about the Groupon and he didn't even stop.....Just grabbed it and ran through the back doors. My husband was like "You better go stop him, he's going to charge you for the whole thing."....I couldn't go through the back doors so I had to remind him when he came back and we had to wait, yet again, for him to go and adjust the charge and then come back.

It was really sad and frustrating in regards to this restaurant because I honestly thought they were going to be REALLY good.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Javene H

Been to Cafe Allegro? Share your experiences!