“Great value”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The rooms were clean modern and comfortable. I was most impressed by the breakfast. It had waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, canned fruit, bagels, toast, etc. The only thing that was missing was yogurt and some fresh fruit. I would stay here again. I paid $72/night for a king suite and got this deal on hotwire.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I like to think I leave fair reviews and don't consider myself a snobby person. However, I do expect a certain standard with a hotel room and this place failed basic tenants of cleanliness, aesthetics, and service.

The first thing you'll notice about this hotel when you enter the lobby is a disgusting, flowery smell that TRIES to cover up a very apparent smoke odor. The mix of the two is absolutely nauseating. A hotel should have a non-smell in my opinion, because so many people are sensitive to strong smells...good, bad or indifferent. If your hotel is clean, there should be no reason for trying to mask the actual smell.

Also, the lobby sort gives you the inside scoop on what the actual rooms are going to look like. It lacked a clean and up to date look.

When we entered the elevator, the smell of smoke and flowers was even stronger than the lobby. At that point, I wondered if I could even handle staying in this hotel. People must literally be smoking on the elevator...it was that strong.

Our room was on the third floor and when the elevator doors opened it was very apparent that people smoke in the hallways. There is no way to cover that smell and I'm appalled that people would have the audacity to smoke in a hotel. The flowery smell continued and was downright disgusting!

Upon entering our room, it was very large, dark, and uninviting. It is in SERIOUS need of updating. The decor is nothing short of crazy! Nothing matched. The best way to describe it is southwest decor meets the 90's. The sink area is part of the actual room (tacky!), all the wood trim and furniture must be from the 90's, the furniture had several dings and dents, there was a gross looking leather couch that was worn, a huge, round, ugly mirror, and a soffit that comes over the bar area. The wallpaper is worn and dated and the light above the sink area is a boxed, fluorescent. The lighting in the room was horrible, even though they had several, ugly lamps.

The food was just okay. They had canned peaches out for fruit, dried up eggs, sausage, waffles, toast, off brand yogurt and Seattle's Best coffee.

Pros:

- Pretty good front desk service
- The coffee
- The rooms are very large
- The carpet in the room actually looked okay
- The bathroom where the toilet and the tub were looked sort of updated
- You can ask for a courtyard view, but will still be facing the wall of another hotel
- The bed was comfortable

Cons:

I would rather stay in a new, Motel 6 with few amenities than a hotel like this. We stayed for three nights and avoided hanging out in the hotel...it just felt depressing. It is need of major updating, but more importantly you NEED to rid this hotel of the smoke smell and establish policies and cameras that will penalize people that would break the rules. The smoke smell absolutely ruins your hotel! It is clear that whoever manages this hotel doesn't care about it's patrons and just ignores what is so apparent.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheila R
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here for 8 nights (Sept. 4 - 12, 2013) and thought it was a good place.
You can call Toll Free: (800) 624-6884 for reservations.
We hope to stay here again when we are in the Portland area.

The beds are very comfortable with lots of small bed pillows. They also provide one long round pillow across the bed.

We were told by one of he employees that they were going to start the conversion to a Double Tree Hotel that week. The location is 2 blocks off the SW Greenburg Road exit of Hwy 217.

They serve a nice little hot breakfast in the morning, 7-10 am. Jacob does a great job keeping the tables and counter clean for the guests. He also presents a friendly attitude which, added to a cheerful beginning of the day for us. They also have the USA Newspaper available for free at the front desk.

In the afternoon, they have some fresh cookies on the front desk and coffee available on a table across the way. The front desk staff are friendly and very helpful. There is a computer available in the front lobby area, if you need to check on something or print your Boarding Pass.

They have Wi-Fi in the hotel, so you can work from your room. They also have Free HBO.
The location is within walking distance of the large Washington Square shopping center and Mall. They do have a shuttle bus that can take you over to the Mall.

We did have to ask for additional bath towels and asked them to refill the soap dispenser in the bath. They don't have bar soap provided in the bath. If you need some, ask for some at the front desk. They are very "GREEN" minded in Portland.

A/C Units are under the window, you can control the fan speed (2 speeds) and temp.
They do have an indoor pool and spa.

Rates a Return: Absolutely!
Discounts: If you stay 7 nights.

Room Tip: I don't think you can get a bad room location but, the even number rooms face the courtyard in B...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Engineer_Lou
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have stayed in quite a few Phoenix Inns, I will never stay in this one again. It was decent, I'm glad I was there alone rather than with my family. The hallways smelled strongly of some sort of air freshener or potpourri, it smelled as though they were covering something up, the non-smoking room smelled like an ashtray. I will say the rooms were clean and the bed was cozy.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I travel a lot and so have inevitably stayed in hotels that have switched over to non-smoking. However, I've never encountered anything this bad. We signed an agreement that we would not smoke and agreed to pay a $150 fine if we did. So imagine our surprise when we opened the door to the room and were blown back by the smoke smell. The desk staff told us, "Huh. Someone else must have smoked in that room at some point." Clearly, no effort was made to change out carpeting, draperies and wallpaper. In fact, my eyes are burning. Never again, will we stay here or any Phoenix Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

When I booked a mystery Hotwire hotel, I was a bit nervous when I saw that Phoenix Inn was the property. After being a loyal Phoenix Inn customer for several years, a bad experience at the Lake Oswego property had kept me away for over a year. The Tigard property had been the one place where I'd always enjoyed a stay with a clean room, comfortable beds and excellent customer service. Unfortunately, some of that has changed for the worse.

The location is excellent; easy off I5, next to Washington Square Mall, with The Cheesecake Factory and other good eateries nearby. The property itself isn't much to see, but has an indoor pool (small, but clean), included continental breakfast (adequate and a nice inclusion), and ample parking.

The problems we ran into on this visit related to unresponsive, disinterested front desk staff and lack of basic property upkeep.

The free coffee in the lobby was cold; two nights in a row. Front desk staff were told about the issue and we were told 'I know' or 'I'll let you know when it's hot' without asking our name or room number. The usual fresh baked cookies, were not there either. These were little things, but disappointing none the less. The response to it by staff - more than the issues themselves.

The breakfast room (which we were directed to go through to get to our room), had visible stains on the carpet. Admittedly, things get dirty, but it really didn't make us want to eat there.

Visible hand prints in the elevators were ignored for the two days we were there. Again, a little thing, but it speaks to the general disinterest in the upkeep of the property.

In our room's bathroom the wallpaper around the shower was peeling. The tub was dirt stained. I've used eraser-type cleaning pads to remove these stains in my own tub, so seeing them in our tub at the Phoenix just showed a lack of attention to the issue. A dispenser with shampoo and soap, but no conditioner.

Our refrigerator in the room made a loud ticking noise most of the night, and the AC in the room had a fan that went on and off all night (no matter what setting we chose).

The beds are comfortable, and I enjoyed the soft pillows. The TV in the room was a 40" LCD, and HBO was a nice perk. A love seat, two queen beds, table with two chairs, coffee table, and a bench for suitcases were all appreciated.

Despite being on the 3rd (out of 4 floors), and near the elevator, our room was quiet when the fridge and/or the AC were not chattering.

I wish the front desk staff cared a bit more about the comfort of the guests. I wish they were more responsive to the upkeep of the property and the 'little things' that in the past set Phoenix Inns apart.

As it stands this property is just average. If you get a room at the right price, you might like it, but with so many other options at this price point which have better customer service, I'll be looking to actively pursue other options for my future Portland area stays.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor at the back of the property for the most quiet accommodations.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I loved our stay 1st night out in awhile and decided to try out somewhere by the mall. It made shopping so much easier and we were able to walk to dinner across the street. Great recommendation from the front desk for dinner. Rooms were clean and comfy. It was quite the busy weekend from the looks of it but the noise was only in the main areas, our room was quiet. Breakfast was yummy, was able to take food upstairs and have breakfast in bed. Such a treat! Will defininently stay again. A+ all around.

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Quality Inn Tigard - Portland Southwest
Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Beaverton
Comfort Suites Southwest
Comfort Suites Southwest
#57 of 144 in Portland
Grand Hotel At Bridgeport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard? Share your experiences!