“Worst motel experience I have ever had.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
“Worst motel experience I have ever had.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Within 15min of arriving, we found old food in fridge, toilet overflowed, phone was not hooked up, used hand towel found in between bed and night stand. Front counter clerk seemed not to care. We were given a different room which wasn't much better, but at least no one's nasty used towel left behind. I requested a rollaway for my extra adult when I reserved the room, then was informed they do not allow them for that room after I arrived. My children had to sleep on the nasty floor which smelled. I had to call the gm the next week because there was no one available for me to speak to during my stay. He was kind and apologized, asked me to try again and offered to send me a gift certificate. I told him I never have business in Portland but agreed reluctantly. I was there only for my daughters prom which she was late to due to the room issues. I still have not received anything. That was at least two weeks ago. I really just would have liked my money back.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank beachduckie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

The staff running around doing the landry, breakfast, shuttle bus and general 'keeping it going' are super and very pleasant but it was disappointing that the front desk staff didn't take very seriously a problem with ants in the room (in the carpet and in a sofa that badly needed replacing since the springs were gone and it looked very old and dirty). The room could have done with a deep clean - we pulled the sofa out and the dust and bits behind were quite worrying - no wonder the ants made a home there. The tumble dryer really does need attention too.

This is a lovely hotel - would be a pity for a few things to spoil that as I'm sure the above could be sorted. Also I think more staff are needed - the room service team are rushed and doing more than should be expected of them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Phoenix Inn in Tigard for one week with my girlfriend. The first night there, the faucet broke and we had to call the front desk to help. They couldn’t fix the problem so we did not have a running faucet in the bathroom sink. Luckily, they had a bar sink and we just used that. The maintenance man on staff fixed it the next day. I must mention that the maintenance man was the best thing about this hotel – he was extremely friendly - I just feel sorry for him because he probably is up to his eyeballs in issues with the place.

In fact, later in the week my girlfriend spotted a number of ants crawling out of the couch and around the furniture. Obviously, there was an ant’s nest nearby. I understand that this issue will happen from time to time, but my problem is that the staff did not seem to be too concerned about it – as if ignoring it will make it go away. They did give us pest spray, but did not seem bothered to take further action (like getting a real pest control person out).

Beyond that, the dryer did not function… something to think about if you stay for a while and want to wash your laundry. Again, the front desk did not want to be bothered.

In terms of breakfast, it was okay, but they did not have any bananas or apples available during our stay... I think jarred pears were the only fruit available. They did have eggs and sausages on a fairly routine basis. I observed that the hotel crew was clearly overworked… some employees were running other tasks whilst also running the breakfast area.

This hotel has problems... perhaps due to being understaffed or having an owner that just does not care… which is too bad because it also has potential and is located in a desirable and safe place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited on March 23. We have stayed at this particular PI a few times and each time have had only nice things to say. Check-in is fast and the attendant always very nice and welcoming. I wish I could remember the name of the lady who checked us in, she always does a great job. The pool was nice, could be a little warmer but that may just be my preference. The work-out room has minimal equipment, but it gets the job done. Breakfast was nice they had hot eggs, pancakes, make your own waffles, sausage and all types of pastries and cereals as well as fruit. Also coffee and juices. Our room was ok, I have stayed in better rooms in this hotel, it was a wheelchair accessible room so there was some damage. Overall a nice stay and a great value.

• Stayed March 2013
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel via Travelocity under "Secret hotel" with a 3 star rating on a last minute decision to pass thru Portland. Since the reviews by TripAdvisor have a 4/5, I booked it immediately as the price was right.
I've never heard about Phoenix Inn. Upon checking in and met by a helpful front desk with free cookies for my kids + coffee/tea for me, we were sold. The rooms were spacious for 4 people. Decor a bit dated but rooms were clean with no smell. One of the double sink may take a bit of time to drain but no problem. Beds were soft and comfortable. The free Wi-Fi is good. I look forward to the complimentary breakfast tomorrow morning. If you don't hear from me, that means it's okay.
Btw, location is okay. Just right beside I-84. 20 minutes to Woodburn Premium Outlet but so many shopping places nearby to drive to.

• Stayed April 2013
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We called ahead and Heather at the front desk made our stay 100% perfect! She got us the room we wanted treated us great and is a great employee. The breakfast was good, the room quiet and we could not ask for more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LegalEagle0907
Seattle, Washington, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great value for the price to stay compared to other hotels in the area. The room was clean, the breakfast was great and the check in out process was extremely fast. The location also has quick hwy access with some good surrounding restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Quality Inn Tigard
Quality Inn Tigard
#5 of 9 in Tigard
Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard? Share your experiences!