“Poor, poor service”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I booked a room for 5 people. When we entered the room, there were 2 Queen size beds and a small couch (two seats). I thought the couch was a sofa bed, but obviously it wasn't. I called the front and asked for a roll-away, and the lady said they didn't have one. Then she said, "Customers with 5 people usually manage to sleep in that room with no problem." Well that was very kind. Fortunately our youngest was sort of excited about "sleeping on a couch," so we did manage. But when I asked for an extra blanket, I had to make two phone calls and wait for over 30 minutes until she finally brought it. She just handed the blanket, no apology of making us wait, and disappeared. During my stay, I never saw the receptionist smile. I guess we weren't their "valuable customer."

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I booked this room on Kayak. Was a bit nervous becuase it was half the price of the Embassy Suites where my friends were staying. Driving up, I was even more worried. The outside does not look so great. Inside, it looked like they were doing repairs in the hallways, but when I got to the room, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was huge! There were two queen beds, a couch, coffee table and desk with two chairs. The sink was outside the bathroom with a large countertop. All was clean and the beds were remarkably comfortable. One complaint I had was the lighting. The light above the sink was not quite bright enough for this old girl to apply makeup and there was only one lamp in the sitting area and one between the two beds. All the lamps had three-way switches, but the bulbs were not three-way bulbs. Perhaps that would have offered more light.
The first morning, I woke up stuffy but thought it was just allergies from the day before. The next night, my son stayed with me also. When he woke up in the morning, he said "I think there's mold or dust in the AC unit. My allergies are really acting up." There was not a noticiable smell in the room, so most people probably wouldn't have an issue. We both have allergies and asthma so are a little sensitive to this.
Overall, I felt it was a very good value. I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Choose this hotel as it was very close to the Washington Square Mail and other shopping.
Planned only to spend one night and I am glad I did not have to spend another. Hotel needs repairs. After speaking to the hotel front desk, they informed my they have a new general mgr and hoped that all items needing work will be done. She said they were not renovating but would be doing repairing on some items. They need to just start all over and renovate, Repairing would look like they try to upgrade but I don't think it will make a difference. The room I was in was acccessible room( handicapped) but it was on the 2nd floor facing a courtyard and the next bldg.

Pros: location excellent for shopping at the Washington Square Mall
Continental breakfast did include some hot items and everything looks appetizing. We ate elswhere with friends.
Micro and mini refrigerator in room
Front Desk gal was very friendly and professional.
Cons:
Beds too soft.
Peeling walls in lobby
Repairs needed in room
Decor dingy they need more color. The beige bedding made the room even more dingy looking.

As to the lobby and peeling walls, I asked. Evidently they were pipe issues and it was being fixed. But there no sign posted so it was ugly and my impressions were oh no what kind of place is this. I worried what the rooms would look like. Well the room was dingy with poor lighting. The door jam and door handle area was so torn up to the bathroom it looked like someone had been trying to take the door handle off the door to get it in. The bathroom was so sterile hospital looking I did not even want to take a shower the next morning and I did not which is unsusal for me when traveling. Maybe it was all the bars in the tub, that it looked like a prison. I know it was an accessible room, but come on... my companion said they felt they were in a nursing home. The sink was outside of the bathroom which was nice and fairly good counter space and nice mirrors even a full length one on the bathroom door next door to the ripped upt wood near the door handle.
Would I stay here again. No.
I prefer to stay at Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Best Westerns, Holiday Inns. So I will stick to my usual brand and not use Phoenix Inn no matter where I stay in Oregon.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

I purchased a room on hotwire. Upon checking in, I had to wait a good 20-30 mins for the front desk person to show up. When she did, she was rushing through the process and did not mention to me that in addition to the hotel room purchase on Hotwire, the hotel would put a hold on my card for the full amount. Hotel employees are rude and will not find a resolution.... Very frustrated and I will never return to a hotel that treats it's guests this way.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 25, 2012

In spite of remodelling in the hallways and also a cleaning? smell in the hallway... we had a great visit and loved the spacious room and good bed. Will stay there again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Descent hotel. Comfy beds. Had a clogged drain in the tub, standing water. So after five calls to fix it, and five hours they finally told me to remove my "do not disturb" sign from my door.
Well they couldnt fix so they moved us down the hall. Another not so clogged drain.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as a weekend getaway for two nights, and chose it because of it's very close proximity to shopping. The price was very low compared to similar hotels in the area, so we were wary at first but pleasantly surprised. The rooms were large and clean, the beds were comortable (although the pillows were not - wished we would have brought our own) and there were more channels available on the tv than I think I've ever seen in a standard hotel room. There was free continental breakfast, including hot items, although it was really nothing spectacular to write home about. The only complaint we had was the noise level. This hotel is right next to a busy intersection by Washington Square Mall with lots of traffic noise. This is also a very busy hotel (at least the days we stayed) and children could be heard running and playing in the halls and in the other rooms until about10 pm. Overall we were very satisfied, and loved that we could walk to the mall and dining.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Courtyard Portland Tigard
4 mi away
Grand Hotel At Bridgeport
1 mi away
Courtyard Portland Beaverton
Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego
Quality Inn Tigard - Portland Southwest

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard? Share your experiences!