“Affordable, good location”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
Hermiston, Oregon
“Affordable, good location”
Reviewed October 6, 2007

This hotel is a hidden gem. Comfortable and quiet. It is located near Washington Square shopping center. Close to shopping and restaurants. It is very affordable.
Frequent Guest

• Liked — clean, comfortable rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Portland, OR
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Nice, comfortable place to spend a weekend...away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Portland. Comfy rooms with individual heater/ cooler, bathtubs, ironing board and iron, refrigerator and microwave, Step downstairs and there is a fitness spa with a jacuzzi and a mini swimming pool. The gym is a bit of a downer with just a treadmill, a cycling machine and stepper. I expected to see a compact multi-gym at the least.

The pluses include ample parking space, free wireless internet, self laundry facilities and soda and snack vending machines. For the shopping freak in you, there are stores at walking distances which include B&N, Target, Sears, JC Penney, Macy's and half a dozen other well known brands.

The rooms usually include breakfast and for lunch and dinner there are plenty of options around the place including Red Panda (Chinese), Red Robin (burgers) Newport Bay (seafood), Gustad's (German), TGIF and Red Lobster.

Well connected by TriMet's bus routes 76 and 78 to Beaverton Transit Center, Lake Oswego.

A good weekend getaway with family and also a good business hotel option.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Popeye050
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed July 1, 2007

On a recent trip to the Portland area, we opted to stay in the Washington Square Mall area since I like the selection of shops at that mall and am somewhat familiar with the area. Also, the hotel room prices fit our budget better than the downtown hotels.

We arrived on Friday afternoon, and checked into the Phoenix Inn. Check in was a breeze in the pleasantly decorated lobby. We made our way up to our room, and found that we had been upgraded from the "bargain rate" standard room to a suite with jacuzzi tub. Most of the room decor was contemporary, so that bubblegum-pink tub stood out! It was a nice extra but we didn't use it.

Even though our room faced Greenburg Road, the windows were VERY soundproof and there was little or no traffic noise. On the other hand the doors slam. LOUDLY. I don't know if there's anything that can be done about this, but it was disruptive during the night.

The small pool was perfect for my daughter. Kids are not allowed in the pool area after 10pm, but they were willing to let that slide a little if they are not disruptive and there aren't any adults trying to enjoy a quiet swim or soak in the spa.

Breakfast was OK - a good selection of hot & cold items, including fruit.

Overall, a good place for a night's rest... and conveniently located.

• Liked — Comfortable bed & nice bedding.
  • Disliked — Room doors slam loudly!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank fiveforefun
Vancouver
Reviewed September 2, 2006

Althought there is renovations going on, the hotel stay is comfortable and close to shopping. Complimentary breakfast was good and use of internet in lobby a plus. No time closure for indoor pool and hot tub and Washington Square Mall is a short drive (1 minute) or walking distance to Washington Square Too which has a Starbucks, bookstore and Longs.

• Liked — Central Location to Shopping
  • Disliked — Contruction/Reno work
  • Tips/Secrets — Within short drive to Downtown and Zoo (20+ minutes depending on traffic)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank newnrg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2006

Ditto on the scary and disorienting experience with the fire in July 2005 at this hotel. Fiasco is a good description. After the second fire alarm in the middle of the night, we climbed back up the four flights of stairs to our room again, laid back down with our clothes on and our bags packed. After the third alarm, we talked to the desk staff who said the smoke detectors would likely continue going off due to all the smoke that was generated from the electrical fire in the wall by the laundry. Broken sleep, the fear and unease from the incredibly loud alarms, standing outside in our pajamas while all the fire trucks arrived after the first alarm, dealing with a terrified 9-year old who kept begging to leave in the middle of the night - let's just say it was memorable. Unbelieveably, there was no discount to the bills (waiving the night's charge would have been a good response), the breakfast was a disorganized mess the next morning. We stayed one night here because the Embassy Suites hotel we usually stay at was completely booked, and we were on our way to the Oregon Coast. The hotel is okay, things seem dusty, the bedding is not good quality, the pool is terribly small, there is no restaurant, and the front desk staff is young and inexperienced. Some apologies, rate discount, offers of a free night sometime in the future (ha) - anything to offset the experience would have been good. For the price, I would even call this mediocre, without the fire experience. I wouldn't ever stay here again, when there are other options nearby.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chico, California
Reviewed July 28, 2005

I just returned from a 3-night stay at the Phoenix Inn in Tigard. I chose the Phoenix Inn for its close proximity to a workshop I was attending and the reasonable rates. The smell when in the lobby when I arrived was stifling -- very much like the spray that is used to cover up when someone smokes. I had requested a non-smoking room so was nervous when I got off the 3rd floor elevator and smelled the same stale smell. However, my room was clean and smelled fresh and I am sure it had not been smoked in. The room itself was fine if a bit generic. No extras like hand lotion and thin, sparse towels, but clean and spacious.

The problems started the next night. Around 10:40 pm the fire alarm went off and blasted in my room, right as I was just drifting off to sleep. Guests got dressed and went out in the hallway but someone from the front desk assured us that it was an accident and everything was fine. So, I went back to bed to try and relax and a few minutes later, the alarm went off again! This time I did not even go out. It then went off a third time about ten minutes after that. Finally I got to sleep. The next morning I discovered (after already starting it) that there was no hot water for a shower. So, cold shower. Then the elevator was out so I took the stairs to the first floor looking for the continental breakfast. It had been moved as power was out on the first floor and there was a makeshift breakfast down the hall with no juice. There also were no cereal bowls and I had to go request some as they were being washed by hand. I talked to the manager about reducing my bill due to the lack of sleep from the fire alarm and the cold shower. She assured me she would take care of it and said there had been some electrical sparks which triggered the fire alarm and power outage, which was pretty scary.

That night when I returned from the workshop, the power was still out on the first floor and I was not able to check messages on the computer. When I checked out the following day, power had finally been restored though there was still only a makeshift continental breakfast. My bill, which was to have been reduced, was for the full amount. So, once again I asked to speak to the manager. She was not there but the front desk promised that it would be taken care of and a revised bill faxed to my office. Upon returning to work yesterday, there was no fax of the bill waiting for me. So, I called the Phoenix Inn again and was told that they had again forgotten to take care of it but would. This time, finally, I received an adjusted bill.

What upset me most about this experience was the lack of response from management. They could have done more to make the situation better for their guests. Because of that, I would not stay at any Phoenix Inn again! On the plus side, it is very quiet, across the street from a Starbucks where I was able to get decent coffee, and just down the street from a mall.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank brodeia
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 21, 2005

We (two adults and a toddler) stayed two nights in February 2005 and were very impressed. There were reshly baked cookies at the front desk, and the person who checked us in was very helpful. We stayed in a Spa Suite, which was spacious, clean and well-designed. Lots of nice touches in the room like little water bottles, a coffee maker and a very powerful microwave. The breakfast spread was surpisingly good. Highly recommended.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Quality Inn Tigard
Quality Inn Tigard
#5 of 9 in Tigard
Best Western Plus Northwind Inn & Suites

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard? Share your experiences!